About Me

Name: Linda

Location: Texas


I am a wife, mom and grandma. I am doing what I've wanted to do all my life. I am a Christian and I love the Lord.

My Complete Profile
Contact Me


Blogrolls
Family Friendly Blogroll [-]

A Group Blog for Christian Moms

Christian Women Online
Blog Ring

Join | List | Random

Recent Posts
Thankful Thursday
The Fawn
Celebrating Me - Woman to Woman
Feeling Rich (and Blessed)
Thankful Thursday
A Meme!
His Eye Is On the Sparrow
Happy Mothers' Day
It's a Beautiful Day
Thankful Thursday

Archives
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
August 2009


Search


Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by:



Miscellaneous
Add Snippets to your site






Subscribe with Bloglines


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported License. Site Meter

Saturday, May 26, 2007
MEMORIAL DAY


In Flanders Field

In Flanders field the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

~~By Major John McCrae, May 1915.~~


We visited this cemetery in Normandy, France with my parents on the 55th anniversary celebration of D-Day. My Dad is a D-Day survivor. He landed on Omaha Beach with the 29th Division. The day we visited this cemetery was a very moving day. I watched my Dad walk to the crosses of the men he had served with and place a rose beneath each cross. My husband, a Viet Nam veteran walked with him.

A couple of years later we all were at the Viet Nam Wall in Washington D.C. My husband found the names of those he had served with. I found the name of a classmate - Mike. He was a handsome, out-going, sweet guy. He never lived to see his 21st birthday.

Now young men and women visit the graves of loved ones lost much more recently. The heartbreak is still the same. This is a very special holiday. It is a time for us to recognize, with grateful hearts, those who gave their lives that we might live in this great country with all the freedoms it affords. I see the eyes of my father and my husband well up with tears when they talk about the young men who lost their lives. They paid a great price, and we owe them a huge debt.


Blessings,
 
  posted at 12:32 PM
  13 comments



13 Comments:
At 1:23 PM, Blogger eph2810 said...

Yes, we do owe them big time. They serve their country will all their might and lost their lives for us to live in freedom.

Blessings to you and your family this Memorial Day weekend.

 
At 1:49 PM, Blogger Diane@Diane's Place said...

My Daddy was a Navy Seabee in WW2. He served in Hawaii rebuilding Pearl Harbor then on Okinawa building air strips and bases.

May we never forget all the sacrifices made for us so that we can enjoy our many freedoms.

Have great Memorial Day weekend, Linda. :-)

Love and hugs,

Diane

 
At 3:34 PM, Blogger Carole Burant said...

We don't celebrate Memorial Day here in Canada...but we do have Remembrance Day on Nov. 11th every year...both holidays have the same meaning, to remember those who fought for us and lost their lives. I don't think any of us really understand what these men and women go through, and have gone through for us. xoxo

 
At 4:47 PM, Blogger Susie said...

Very moving post Linda. We certainly owe our veterans a huge debt of gratitude. I think I've mentioned that my Grandpa is one of the oldest living Pearl Harbor survivors..
Have a wonderful weekend..
xo

 
At 6:51 PM, Blogger Vicki said...

Thank you for this good post. My father lost many family members during WWII.

Praying for families whose loved ones are serving even now.

 
At 6:22 PM, Blogger Dawn said...

When I visited the Vietnam Wall in DC, I was overwhelmed with the vast numbers. I didn't find anyone I knew, but it just humbled me and horrified me. Beautiful post.

 
At 10:22 PM, Blogger Big Mama said...

You are so right, Linda. We can never repay their sacrifice.

 
At 11:00 PM, Blogger Myrna said...

A day for remembering the unthinkable. Blessings on all those families who have someone to honor on this day.

 
At 12:01 AM, Blogger rena said...

To true! We remember our brave fallen in Canada on November 11...
Blessings on this Memorial Day

 
At 3:43 PM, Blogger Julie said...

It's not the 4th of July, but I'm crying anyway. (I ALWAYS cry on the 4th when I hear patriotic music....well, ANY day that I hear patriotic music.)

What a touching, beautiful post. *dabbing eyes*

Freedom is not free, and as Americans we take our freedom for granted.

Thank God for soldiers who defend our freedom. Including my son!

 
At 11:45 AM, Blogger Ms. Kathleen said...

Excellent poem. I hadn't read it in years but remember it well. My hubby is a Vietnam Vet and we visited the Wall a few years back as well and he found the name of a cousin and a few others he knew.

My FIL served in the Pacific Theatre and gave our eldest son the Samari Sword he had.

You have a wonderful tribute. The trip to France must have been amazing.

Hugs!

 
At 12:44 PM, Blogger Mike Minzes said...

Great Blog! I will be back for more -0-0-

 
At 1:16 PM, Blogger Shawna said...

Linda, you have such a beautiful way of putting things. What a great tribute to those who have served.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home