About Me

Name: Linda

Location: Texas


I am a wife, mom and grandma. I am doing what I've wanted to do all my life. I am a Christian and I love the Lord.

My Complete Profile
Contact Me


Blogrolls
Family Friendly Blogroll [-]

A Group Blog for Christian Moms

Christian Women Online
Blog Ring

Join | List | Random

Recent Posts
Celebrating Me - Woman to Woman
Feeling Rich (and Blessed)
Thankful Thursday
A Meme!
His Eye Is On the Sparrow
Happy Mothers' Day
It's a Beautiful Day
Thankful Thursday
Trust
Thankful

Archives
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
August 2009


Search


Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by:



Miscellaneous
Add Snippets to your site






Subscribe with Bloglines


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported License. Site Meter

Wednesday, May 23, 2007
The Fawn




When we built our house on this beautiful two acre piece of Texas earth, the area all around us was very rural. Our road leading to our house was just a little dirt lane. There were only three houses along the three mile stretch of road and three large ranches. We had neighbors on one side of us, and our neighbors across the street were cows. They made wonderful neighbors – the humans and the cows – very quiet and peaceable. The cows would just give us a curious stare as we walked or drove by and the neighbors a friendly wave. The biggest excitement was when the cows found a break in the fence and wandered into the road. A call to the owner and they were safely behind barbed wire again.

We also had a lot of deer “neighbors” – cute but with an annoying habit of thinking everything I planted was a culinary offering just for them. One year I planted about two dozen impatiens plants under the cluster of large oak trees on the front lawn. I dug out under the trees, and my husband and son made a nice little rock wall all around the area. I had visions of beautiful pink and white flowers growing in great profusion under the shade of the lovely old oaks. Imagine my distress upon waking up the next morning to the sight of little green stems sticking up out of the new garden I had created. Obviously impatiens are not deer resistant plants.

In recent years the deer population has suffered the dubious benefits of urban development. Their home has been steadily diminished by a housing development, a shopping center and a huge box store. There is so little land left for them, I honestly am amazed they are still around. Every now and then we spot one or two when we are walking or riding our bikes. Sadly we have seen several that have been hit by cars. It just isn’t like it used to be – and the deer and I are not happy about it.

Yesterday on our bike ride my husband spotted a tiny fawn lying in the grass on the side of the road. It looked as though it couldn’t be more than a few hours old. It just lay there and lifted its little head to look at us with his huge deer eyes. We debated about trying to touch it or pick it up and decided that if the Mama was anywhere around that wouldn’t be a good idea. So we pedaled home as fast as we could.

As soon as we got home I called the Sheriff (as a little aside – this makes the third time I’ve called about a deer in need of help, and they have always responded. I could just imagine the dispatcher rolling her eyes and saying, “It’s the deer woman again.”). She was very kind and gave me the number of our game warden. When I reached him he said we should just leave it right there and the mother would very likely come back for it.

I wasn’t totally satisfied with that answer so I called the wildlife and rehabilitation center. The sweet girl there told me the same thing. She said that the mother deer could be gone for up to ten hours foraging for food and still come back for the baby. She also agreed with the game warden that we should absolutely not touch it or it might cause the mother to reject the poor little guy.

We decided to do as they had said, but I worried about something happening to that baby while his mama was off doing who knows what! I just kept praying about it off and on.

God is so good and patient and kind. I know He heard my prayer and that He watched over that fawn. When we went back later to check, he was gone. No sign of any “foul play” – just simply not there. We’re sure that Mom came back and took him home.

Thank You Lord for hearing and answering all my prayers. I love You so very much.

Blessings,
 
  posted at 1:00 PM
  9 comments



9 Comments:
At 3:13 PM, Blogger Tammy said...

Oh Linda...first of all, I am so touched by your tender heart. What a blessing you are to pray for that little fawn. I'm sure the Lord is pleased at your compassion, and did answer your prayer...because He knows when the sparrow falls.

You also have such a gift for expressing yourself in writing!

Thank you for sharing this tender story...(and I know what you mean- I don't all like this hasty urban development, either!)

 
At 3:18 PM, Blogger Susie said...

I kept reading and reading hoping for a happy ending! So glad the Mama came back for the fawn. Your tender heart is so endearing..
xo

 
At 3:20 PM, Blogger Barb said...

Hi Linda,

I admire you - I would have been sooo tempted to touch that baby and I know you shouldn't. I know you feel better that you went back to check and it's gone. My reaction would have been as emotional as yours.

I didn't know your husband was diabetic. I'm sorry to hear that but I tell you, it's amazing how many people are diabetic. I never even thought about it until Krissy married Andy and I REALLY think about it now that we know Cameron has it.

Sad. But we're better and we're more accepting that this is just the way it is. It could be so much worse. So we'll learn to live with it and be very thankful he has a disease than can be controlled and is not fatal.

Thank you for your support and encouragement.

 
At 3:25 PM, Blogger Diane@Diane's Place said...

I'll tell you, Linda...I'm hard headed and tender hearted. I'd want to DO SOMETHING NOW! It's so hard for me to WAIT on anything, and especially the Lord at times.

I'm glad that the fawn's Mama came back for him. Just a little patience was all that was needed. Patience that I'm sadly lacking sometimes.

Glad it all turned out okay.

Love and hugs,

Diane

 
At 6:54 PM, Blogger TheNormalMiddle said...

Linda, we have had deer like you around here...once farmland and forest, now urban & retail. The deer are still around and many are on the sides of the road :(

As all the commenters above me have said, you have a precious, tender heart! I've been away from reading blogs for a few days or weeks now and this made me happy to be back :)

 
At 10:42 PM, Blogger eph2810 said...

Linda, the area, although urban sprawl is sneaking up on you, sounds just want my heart longs for. I am ready to just 'ditch' the city-life to have peace and quiet around me.

I am glad that the fawn was okay.

Thank you for sharing.

Blessings on your Wednesday evening.

 
At 11:47 PM, Blogger Susanne said...

Awww. What a lovely story. What a sweet heart you have. And so disciplined. I would have had a hard time at least not parking my car within viewing distance and sitting there to make sure that momma came back.

 
At 9:02 AM, Blogger Susie said...

What a blessing to see deer around your home. I so glad this was a happy ending.

 
At 6:31 PM, Blogger Holly said...

His eye is on the sparrow and the deer! I am thankful that you care for them...what a heart!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home