Saturday, May 12, 2007
Happy Mothers' Day
I wrote this post last August when I first started blogging. I thought I would post it again for Mothers' Day.
My Mom is celebrating her 83rd birthday this Sunday, and I’ve been thinking about how precious she is to me.
Thirteen Things I Love About My Mom
1. She loves me unconditionally. There isn’t anything I can’t tell her. She is my best girlfriend.
2. At 83 she is still learning. She loves to read and remembers more of what she reads than I do.
3. She is so creative. She writes beautifully, draws, sews – but what she does best is make some of the most beautiful quilts you have ever seen. I wept when I opened the box and saw the one she made for us that is now on our bed. The craftsmanship is exquisite, and every stitch is a testimony of her loving nature.
4. She still sends birthday cards to everyone in our extended family and still writes letters by hand (although she can e-mail too).
5. She can tell a great joke – without forgetting the punch line (not like some of us who will remain nameless).
6. She is a terrific cook. Since she and my Dad have come to live in the apartment my wonderful husband made them off the back of our house, my cholesterol count isn’t doing very well. It is delightful to be sitting watching television and hear the little knock on our door knowing that a fresh-from-the-oven dessert is on the way!
7. She is so patient. She is teaching me to quilt – and anyone else in the family who is interested (including little seven year old great-granddaughters.)
8. She hugs and kisses everyone (I’m sure this has nothing to do with the fact that she is Italian.). Not one of our friends comes to visit that doesn’t get a hug and a kiss on the cheek on the way out the door.
9. She is very wise. She truly is the one I still go to for advice. I see the way she has graciously lived her life, and I know she walks the talk.
10. She has the gift of hospitality. Their home has been open to everyone from missionary families to foreign exchange students. And she has kept in touch with every one of them!
11. So many other women think of her as “mom”. I must admit I get just a tiny bit jealous when I see how close she is to so many younger women.
12. She loves to travel and is always ready for an adventure.
13. She loves the Lord. I am so blessed to have her for my Mom. I can’t imagine my life without her. I am a grandmother myself, but it is such a comfort to still be someone’s “honey”. Thank You Lord – for my mom.
HAPPY MOTHERS' DAY EVERYONE!!