About Me

Name: Linda

Location: Texas


I am a wife, mom and grandma. I am doing what I've wanted to do all my life. I am a Christian and I love the Lord.

My Complete Profile
Contact Me


Blogrolls
Family Friendly Blogroll [-]

A Group Blog for Christian Moms

Christian Women Online
Blog Ring

Join | List | Random

Recent Posts
Thankful
The Dung Beetle
Lightening Up a Bit
In Other Words
"Much - Afraid"
Stuff
He Knows Your Name
Thankful Thursday and The Caterpillar
In Other Words
Ripples

Archives
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
August 2009


Search


Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by:



Miscellaneous
Add Snippets to your site






Subscribe with Bloglines


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported License. Site Meter

Monday, May 07, 2007
Trust

“He makes my feet like hinds’ feet, and sets me upon my high places.”
Psalm 18:33


I am using the book “Hinds’ Feet On High Places” by Hannah Hurnard with a devotional by Darien Cooper in my quiet time. Her introduction to the allegory includes this summary:

“The lessons of accepting and triumphing over evil, of becoming acquainted with
grief, and pain, and ultimately, of finding them transformed into something
incomparably precious; of learning through constant glad surrender to know the
Lord of Love Himself in a new way and to experience unbroken union with Him-
these are the lessons of the allegory in this book. The High Places and the hinds’
feet do not refer to heavenly places after death, but are meant to be the glorious
experience of God’s children here and now – if they will follow the path He
chooses for them.”

I read this book not too long ago, but I am finding that taking one page at a time and reading the corresponding devotional is making it far more meaningful. How I long to reach the High Places and how far I have to go.

In my reading the other day, Much-Afraid hasn’t started on her journey yet. She is having a conversation with Shepherd telling Him of her desire to go with Him to the High Places – and He asks her this question:

“No one is allowed to dwell in the Kingdom of Love, unless they have the flower
of Love already blooming in their hearts. Has Love been planted in your heart,
Much-Afraid?”

Here is Much-Afraid’s answer:

“I think that what is growing there is a great longing to experience the joy of
natural, human love and to learn to love supremely one person who will love
me in return….I see the longing to be loved and admired growing in my heart,
Shepherd, but I don’t think I see the kind of Love that You are talking about,
at least, nothing like the love which I see in You.”

Much-Afraid confesses to the Shepherd that she is afraid, because she understands that loving gives another the power to hurt you in a way nothing else can. The Shepherd acknowledges that that is true,” but Love does not think that very significant.”

Mrs. Cooper says in the devotional section, “We were designed to receive and return God’s love, but often gets replaced with self-love or with a craving for others’ love.”

I have thought about this for a couple of days now. I know that my tendency to want everyone to think well of me places me squarely in the center of what she is talking about. I tend to become so concerned about the approval of others I forget to even seek the Lords’. He and I are working on this one. It is rather deep-seeded in my heart.

The other thing I have thought long and hard about is Much-Afraid’s fear. I see that in myself also. With complete honesty I have to confess that there is a fear in my heart that if I completely abandon myself to God, He will take me to the place I fear the most. Sounds so foolish – I know. Yet there it is. If I loosen the death grip I have on what I think is control of my life and allow myself to fall into His arms – what will happen to me? Will He allow those circumstances I see looming on the horizon to overtake me? I want miraculous deliverance. That is what I pray for, but what is His plan. I know He has promised to work all things together for my good, but what about the journey I must take to get there.

I have struggled with this one all my life. It is one of those issues I think I have settled only to discover it hasn’t really been pulled up by the roots and has once again sprouted in the depths of my heart. My prayer is that I will love Him so much that I will trust Him no matter what is looming on the horizon of my life – or the lives of those I love dearest; that I will walk by faith and not by sight; that I will place my hand in His like a trusting child and go wherever He leads me. Father, I believe; help my unbelief.

Blessings,
 
  posted at 2:17 PM
  11 comments



11 Comments:
At 5:31 PM, Blogger Carole Burant said...

A very insightful post as always dear Linda! I think most of us if not all, tend to be afraid to completely put our trust in God...there's always something that holds us back...fear of the unknown? I don't know. I, myself, have had my struggles with my faith and although it's still not at where I want it to be, I'm working on it:-) xoxo

 
At 9:44 PM, Blogger someone else said...

It was as if I could hear your heart actually crying out, Linda. This is such a hard concept for most of us -- completely trusting.

I learned the hard way that when I held onto control of my life and all around me, satan used my self-sufficiency as the tool to trip me up. The amazing thing was that Christ was there to keep me from crashing and He walked with me all the way through the valley, and set me once again on the high places. I learned how precious and capable God really is.

 
At 10:16 PM, Blogger Holly said...

"With complete honesty I have to confess that there is a fear in my heart that if I completely abandon myself to God, He will take me to the place I fear the most."

I have been there Sister...the fear and then the abandonment...I suffered losses and the apporval I longed for was replaced with people thinking I was crazy (that Chris and I were crazy). It's worth it, every loss, every mistaken opinion...it's worth it!

In our journey story this week on Thursday, I will probably get to the place where I tell about our abandonment to God. It was not a "sensible" thing to do...but it was a stage set for God's glory to shine forth as TRUE! I think with all the losses, there are gains we will find out about in Heaven...I believe it!

Of course you know two of the losses we suffered...not a day goes by that I don't ask God to restore...He will in His time and WITH plunder!

Jump on out there, sweet Sister...I'll go with you!
Love,
Holly

 
At 8:27 AM, Blogger Cyndi said...

I know just what you mean. It seems He keeps bringing me back to that place where there are things that haven't "really been pulled up by the roots and has once again sprouted in the depths of my heart." I love the way you said that. And those powerful three words at the end, "Help my unbelief." You've pegged it, Linda.

I often wish I could have a pair of glasses made, in which I could see the words "Light and Momentary" in the lenses as I look out at such painful circumstances. Paul's words have helped me to put things in their proper perspective with regard to the glory that is to come, but it is hard sometimes. So, so hard.

You are a dear sister, Linda. Thanks so much for sharing what you're gleaning from this devotional. It is really blessing me.

 
At 2:59 PM, Blogger Nancy said...

Complete trust is a tough one. I too want to just be in control but as I get older it is getting easier for me. God is good! Thanks for a great post.

 
At 6:40 AM, Blogger Dawn said...

Here it is Thursday and I am just now absorbing these beautiful thought-provoking words. I think we're all relating to the trust issue. It's hard to trust when so many we have trusted have failed us. But they are not God! Thank you for putting this so well. I have likened it to my fear of water - I can't even trust the water to hold me up. I often think of it as lying down in God's arms and knowing that He will hold me - and wishing I could do that in the water. Is that silly?

 
At 10:57 AM, Blogger Tammy said...

Linda, this post really touched my heart. I can so relate to what you've said...and you said it so eloquently.
Thank you so much for your transparency and words of wisdom- it was such a blessing to me! (((HUGS)))

 
At 1:08 PM, Blogger eph2810 said...

What a beautiful reflection, Linda. Thank you so much for sharing it...As I have been really reflecting on my life in Him, I have come to realization that I too am afraid of what is going to happen if I completely give everything over to Him--like my dreams I have. Nothing is too big for Him, so I guess I have really been afraid of taking my dreams to the throne, being afraid that He will answer them. Does that make sense? It does in my head...

One song I have been listening to a lot over the last couple of days is called "All for Love" by Darlene Zschech. One line says: "Oh, how many times have I broken Your heart...but still You forgive, if only I ask..." I was thinking about how many time 'people' in my life have broken my heart, but I didn't forgive them for it...I think it is time I do.

Be blessed today and always...Hope to see you tomorrow for Thankful Thursday, my dear friend.

 
At 6:39 PM, Blogger Julie said...

Hi Linda,
What an interesting post. I think we are all "Much Afraid" at one time or another.

I love what you said..."My prayer is that I will love Him so much that I will trust Him no matter what is looming on the horizon of my life..."

May we ALL reach that place, my friend!

 
At 5:49 AM, Blogger Lori said...

Blessings, and thank you for this sweet post.

 
At 3:09 PM, Blogger Christine said...

Wow, what a powerful message and confession. I read that book years and years ago and really need to reread it. I'm sure it will say something completely different to me now. I pray you are able to let go of the fear and the control. I think it's a tough thing for all of us to some extent.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home