About Me

Name: Linda

Location: Texas


I am a wife, mom and grandma. I am doing what I've wanted to do all my life. I am a Christian and I love the Lord.

My Complete Profile
Contact Me


Blogrolls
Family Friendly Blogroll [-]

A Group Blog for Christian Moms

Christian Women Online
Blog Ring

Join | List | Random

Recent Posts
In Other Words
"Much - Afraid"
Stuff
He Knows Your Name
Thankful Thursday and The Caterpillar
In Other Words
Ripples
Grace
Thankful Thursday
In Other Words

Archives
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
August 2009


Search


Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by:



Miscellaneous
Add Snippets to your site






Subscribe with Bloglines


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported License. Site Meter

Wednesday, May 02, 2007
Lightening Up a Bit
Our Bible Study is over until the fall, there is no work to be done on choir folders this afternoon, and so I have a bit of time to write today. I thought I would just lighten up a bit and just chat about “things.”

Tomorrow our choir is singing in front of City Hall at noon for the National Day of Prayer celebration. My husband and I sang last year, and it was inspirational. There are Pastors from many of the area churches who pray. One, for example, prayed for our country and our leaders, another for marriages, another about abortion and one Pastor prayed for the peace of Israel.

It was a hot day but a small crowd began to form nonetheless. Some stopped and listened, others just walked by after pausing for a brief time. The one thing that surprised me – which really shouldn’t have – was the people walking back and forth with signs protesting us being there. One of the signs said “Separation of Church and State”. They were all along that line – in general accusing us of trying to force our religious views on everyone else. The really surprising thing was that these were older adults for the most part. Our Music Minister said we should just pray for them. I did, and I felt inspired to sing with greater feeling. I wanted so badly for the words of the songs to impact them. I pray that they did.

This year our Music Minister has already received a threatening phone call. It was from an activist who has moved here from California. He threatened to sue if we sing in front of City Hall again this year. Our fearless leader replied, “Be sure you spell my name right.” We have the right to be there, and be there we will. The newspaper has already gotten wind of all this and called our Music Minister for an interview. He said he guarded his words very carefully so he wouldn’t be taken out of context.

My parents had some friends visiting from Virginia last week. One of the things this couple wanted to do was visit a small town about an hour north of us known for its unique shops. My Dad never asked us for directions, so we figured either he remembered how to get there (we’ve taken them a few times) or the friends had it all mapped out. Wrong. They didn’t have directions, but my Dad said “Not to worry. I’m sure I’ll be able to find it.” Now if this couple had ever ridden in a car with my Dad when he uttered those fateful words “I think I know a shortcut.” they would have run as fast as their little feet could carry them to the nearest computer and clicked on Map quest. My Mom has just given up trying to convince him to get directions first.

Three hours later they were riding through the big city an hour SOUTH of us. Resigned to their fate they stopped at a nearby Olive Garden and had lunch. They never did get to the little town. I know who I get my sense of direction from. I can get lost driving around the block!!

We had such a nice visit with our daughter on Sunday afternoon. She has recently started a new job and is so excited about her career as an editor. She left her full-time job and took a part-time job so that she can concentrate on getting her own free-lance editing business started. She is doing so well. It is such fun to talk with her about all that is going on. She’s writing for a local college – newsletters. She was recently hired to write articles for a wedding magazine. She is doing medical editing and all sorts of new and exciting things. I love it because it is writing – and I love writing. I am so proud of her. She is getting a great reputation as an editor and writer. It is an absolute joy.

She brought me my Mother’s Day gift because she is going to be out of town that weekend - a gift certificate to Barnes and Noble. Perfect! I’ve already used it. I got Earlene Fowler’s newest mystery “Tumbling Blocks” (each of her book titles is the name of a quilt block). This is the 13th book in the series. She is a Christian writer, but her books are marketed in the mainstream. I can’t wait to read it.

Time to practice a bit of piano. We do have choir practice tonight, so I need to fix an early dinner.

Remember to pray for Heather. Her surgery is scheduled for tomorrow. I think it’s wonderful that tomorrow is also the National Day of Prayer. As we pray for our nation we will remember to pray for Mark and Heather and their family.

Blessings,
 
  posted at 1:33 PM
  7 comments



7 Comments:
At 3:16 PM, Blogger Holly said...

Are you talking about Salida? We went to the Great Hills retreat in Austin one year and went there...so much fun! Also, my room-mate at UT was from San Antonio, so I know the are pretty well (at least how it looked 16 years ago :)
Have a blessed day, Linda!
Love,
Holly

 
At 3:41 PM, Blogger Carole Burant said...

Linda, I don't think it matters what one does, someone will protest it! You just can't make everybody happy so just do what you love doing and let them protest all they want. Sounds like you had a lovely visit with your daughter...it's no wonder you're so proud of her:-) I must go out shopping to get something for my mom for Mother's Day, it's coming up fast!! xoxo

 
At 4:48 PM, Blogger Dawn said...

I just picked up Tumbling Blocks at the library this morning - can't wait to read it! I just love Earlene Fowler.

The prayer day activitists make me so sad. Every day on my way home from work I'm listening to SRN, which is Christian newscast. I am appalled and horrified every day at the way our country views us as "religious" and not okay. So so SAD!!

 
At 6:02 PM, Blogger Susie said...

Hi Linda,
I'm not surprised at what state your protester came from. We see a lot of that here..
I hope your singing and National Day of Prayer goes well this year and that there are no problems.
Loved hearing all your newsy news!!
xo

 
At 9:44 PM, Blogger Tammy said...

Linda, I almost forgot tomorrow was National Day of Prayer...thank you for reminding me! I would love to participate in some small way, so will have to check out what is happening here...
So crazy that people feel the need to protest prayer...
You have every right to be proud of your daughter...how wonderful that she gets paid for writing!
Blessings!

 
At 9:06 PM, Blogger Dawn said...

Wow, I'm envious that you got to meet Earlene. I found her blog on Amazon.com today and just love the way she writes when she's just being herself. I'd love to meet her! I didn't actually buy it, but was on the list to get it at the library as soon as it came out. I wish I did own them all, so I could re-read them all in a row. Someone commented on Amazon that her last book, Delectable Mountains, got a bit over the top with her "religious beliefs." I say, "Praise the Lord!"

 
At 11:53 AM, Blogger eph2810 said...

Thank you so much for sharing bits and pieces from your life :) - I love to get to know you a little better.

I don't understand why people always seem to demonstrate Christian events. Are they afraid that God might be speaking to their heart and expose their sins? I am thrilled to read that you have such an awesome Music minister. I hope you had a wonderful time this year. They had a huge event at our state capital this week, involving the entire family.

I always have to print out maps to go where I want to end up...Otherwise I would get lost too.

I am so glad for your daughter. I think our son is still trying to find the perfect job for him.

Thanks again for sharing, Linda. Blessings on your weekend and always.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home