About Me

Name: Linda

Location: Texas


I am a wife, mom and grandma. I am doing what I've wanted to do all my life. I am a Christian and I love the Lord.

My Complete Profile
Contact Me


Blogrolls
Family Friendly Blogroll [-]

A Group Blog for Christian Moms

Christian Women Online
Blog Ring

Join | List | Random

Recent Posts
Thankful Thursday
In Other Words
Thankful Thursday
In This Skin
Bluebonnets!!
Sunday Afternoon Chat
Hallowed Be Thy Name
Thankful Thursday
In Other Words
Thankful Thursday

Archives
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
August 2009


Search


Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by:



Miscellaneous
Add Snippets to your site






Subscribe with Bloglines


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported License. Site Meter

Friday, March 23, 2007
Never Too Old



This is a picture of Grandma Moses. She began painting when she was 77 years old. That gives me great hope. So often we think if we don't accomplish something great by a certain age it will never happen. Or, even more discouraging, if we don't realize a dream we've cherished by a certain age it is simply too late.

I think we have seasons of our lives. In our youth we are often just too busy with the "business" of living. We don't have the time to pursue the "dream". However, the day comes when we do have the time. The nest is empty. There is more time to begin that pursuit. I thought it would be encouraging to see what some people accomplished in their later years:



Winston Churchill wrote "A History of the English-speaking Peoples" at age 82.

Goethe completed "Faust" at age 80.

At age 99 Harold Mark Foster of Owensboro, KY began learning to read.

Katherine Pelton swam the 200 meter butterfly in 3 minutes 1.14 seconds, beating
the men's world record for the 85-89 age group by over 20 seconds.

Frances Peyton Rous became the oldest Nobel Prize Laureate at age 87

At age 88 Michelangelo created the architectural plans for the Church of
Santa Maria degli Angela

Artur Rubinstein performed one of his greatest recitals in Carnegie Hall at age
89

Pablo Picasso was still producing drawings and engravings at age 90.

Albert Schweitzer ran a hospital in Africa when he was 89 years old.

At age 91 Hulda Crooks climbed Mt. Whitney

Margaret Ringenburg flew around the world when she was 72.

Alice Porlock of Great Britain published her first book "Portrait of My
Victorian Youth" when she was 102 years old.

It is never too late to do the thing God has placed on your heart!

Blessings,
 
  posted at 12:19 PM
  20 comments



20 Comments:
At 3:13 PM, Blogger Diane@Diane's Place said...

Man, I'm exhausted just reading the list, much less actually doing any of it!

So what you're saying here is enough with the excuses, just get busy, hmmmm???

Happy weekend, Linda!

Hugs,

Diane

 
At 3:34 PM, Blogger Donnetta said...

Thanks for such a wonderful reminder today!

 
At 3:57 PM, Blogger Holly said...

Wow! You Go girl! I think your words right now are being used...no matter the age, as long as you're breathing, you are His instrument.

Love you in Him,
Holly Smith
Blessings ou your weekend!

 
At 5:35 PM, Blogger Susanne said...

What an encouraging post, Linda. Perfect for those of us who are not quite "spring chickens" any longer.

 
At 7:24 PM, Blogger Carole Burant said...

They do say you're never too old to learn something new as these great people proved! I'm doing my part...I'm going to be 50 this year and got my first tattoo! lol This was a great post dear Linda!! xoxo

 
At 7:31 PM, Blogger Sue Seibert said...

Wow, thanks for sharing...I needed that! Thank you!

 
At 8:30 PM, Blogger Tammy said...

Oh, this is an incredible list, Linda! And good for me to read!

I'm also going to have my mom read this, as well...at 80 she will love looking at this list and still feeling young! :)

 
At 10:23 PM, Blogger Susie said...

What wonderful encouragement for those of us who are no longer "in our youth"
Age should not deter us from following our dreams!
xo

 
At 11:19 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

what a great post and reminder that you're never too old to learn something!

 
At 1:32 AM, Blogger ruth said...

Linda,As you can see daughter Tammy did direct me over to read your post & I did find it very encouraging to read, having just turned that big 80, & which I'll have to admit was just a tad difficult, going from the 70s to the 80s. Thanks for the reminder that the Lord has special tasks He still wants each of us to accomplish. Each day He gives us is another day to Praise Him for all of His goodness.

 
At 6:05 AM, Blogger Susie said...

What an amazing post! I needed to read this today. I think so many of us have hidden dreams we put off and eventually bury. How nice to see so many maturer people that have followed their dreams.

 
At 10:43 AM, Blogger Cyndi said...

I loved reading this list! This is so helpful for me to remember as a homeschooling mom. There are many things I would love to pursue, but this is simply not the "season" to do that. God is faithfully reminding me (through this post, biographies of the saints, and His Word) that there is time to be used greatly in the latter part of one's life. If certain things are part of His plan for my life, then I will have time to do it in another season. Thanks for this post today!

 
At 11:46 AM, Blogger staceyhoff said...

Hi~ I just followed you over to your blog, from Barb's :)
Love your blog, it's great~ and I'm adding it to my folder of 'Blogs Worth Reading!" ;)
This post has a good message.
As a 31 yo stay at home, home-schooling mom ( of over 4 years now)I can often get to wondering, what will there be to my life after I'm 'done' being Mom( at least in this capacity)?
It is good to think about all there is yet to come, God willing, and not get stuck in a rut of thinking "well, now life is essentially over: time to go sit down in a recliner in front of the Tv and rot" LOL
I want to be a learner all the way up till the day that the good Lord takes me, and whatever He has planned for me I want to be able- minded and bodied enough to do it at whatever age.
Those examples of such God-provided stamina are great reminders! Thanks!! :)

 
At 12:55 PM, Blogger Linds said...

Right then Linda, we had better get cracking....We have THINGS TO ACHIEVE! We are of course, still spring chickens by comparison. Thanks for this reminder.

 
At 3:43 PM, Blogger Julie said...

Hi Linda,
I absolutely loved this post! There's hope! YAY!

You can add this to your list: My mother-in-law joined the Peace Corps when she turned 70. She taught English as a second language in the Czech Republic for two years. Amazing.

 
At 3:59 PM, Blogger Susan said...

What a lovely reminder for each of us no matter our chronological age. We are to to be "Redeeming the time, because the days are evil. Wherefore be ye not unwise, but understanding what the will of the Lord is." Ephesians 5:16-17

 
At 9:01 PM, Blogger staceyhoff said...

I agree! I gave up on learning Spanish in high school because I thought it was hard, but now I really want to learn the language. And then travel! ;)
It is so nice to meet you, too. :) Have a great, relaxing weekend !

 
At 11:23 PM, Blogger rena said...

Haha..way too cool! What an inspiring post.

 
At 12:44 AM, Blogger Sandy said...

That is one encouraging list!

Thank you for sharing it!

 
At 6:11 PM, Blogger Faerylandmom said...

Thank you...I was pointed this direction by Rocking Chair Reflections.

I'm only 25, married for 6 years, and have 3 kids with #4 on the way. All of them will be 4 years or under by the time #4 arrives. I am busy with "dailiness" right now, and it's so nice to know that that's ok. It's where God has me, and I'm learning contentment with that.

Thanks for the encouragement!

Come visit me sometime, if you get a chance, over at Faerylandmom's Something.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home