About Me

Name: Linda

Location: Texas


I am a wife, mom and grandma. I am doing what I've wanted to do all my life. I am a Christian and I love the Lord.

My Complete Profile
Contact Me


Blogrolls
Family Friendly Blogroll [-]

A Group Blog for Christian Moms

Christian Women Online
Blog Ring

Join | List | Random

Recent Posts
Thankful Thursday
In Other Words
Thankful Thursday
Five Reasons I Blog
The Promised Land
Thankful Thursday
In Other Words
Self-Destruction
Blessed
PRIDE

Archives
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
August 2009


Search


Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by:



Miscellaneous
Add Snippets to your site






Subscribe with Bloglines


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported License. Site Meter

Friday, March 09, 2007
Hallowed Be Thy Name
The third commandment God gave to the Children of Israel was “You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain…” (Exodus 20: 7). We talked about this in our Bible Study this week. It is a part of our study on prayer. The author, Rick Shepherd, was using the Lord’s Prayer as an example of how we are to pray. We were discussing the portion of the prayer which says “Hallowed be Thy name” and all that those words imply.

We usually associate the taking of God’s name in vain with profanity or mockery. We talked about how upsetting it is to hear the Lord’s name used so casually. One of the ladies said she isn’t sure exactly how to respond when she hears a stranger doing it. Do we tell them we are offended or just ignore it? We went on to discuss different ways to handle it. Sometimes it’s friends, co-workers, or family members who are speaking in that way- often without even realizing it. In that case it may be easier just to gently say we would prefer they not use that language.

The discussion went on for a little while. Then I mentioned what had really spoken to me as I read through the study. Mr. Shepherd said, “To take His name in vain is to treat Him as nothing or as worthless, to ignore Him or His word. That would also mean not trusting Him for who He truly is, not listening attentively to His Word, not seeking Him in prayer, and therefore living a life that fails to depend on Him.”

How often have I been guilty of those very things? It is easy to point the finger at someone who blatantly uses God’s name in vain. It is quite another for me to examine my own heart and see if I am doing the very same thing. What of the times when I put off prayer or reading my Bible because there are other things that I either need or want to do? What of the times I have walked off and gone my own way? What about trust? Do I really trust Him – with everything and everyone in my life? When the difficult times come and there is no answer to the “Whys” of my hurting heart – do I trust Him? Do I really believe He is who His names say He is? If I don’t, I am not hallowing His name.

It isn’t always pleasant, but I love it when the Lord speaks a word directly into my heart. I want to be obedient to Him in more than just the outward things. I want the very hidden things of my heart to honor Him as well. I’m so thankful that this Christian life is a process. Little by little, step by step, He guides us along the way. If I am ever foolish enough to think I’ve finally arrived, He gently leads me around another curve in the road, and I find there is something more.


I want to recommend a very touching post to you. Bev writes so beautifully, and her writing today will just bless you beyond measure.
As you pray today, think of Dawn and Susie. They would certainly appreciate our prayers.

Blessings,
 
  posted at 12:23 PM
  14 comments



14 Comments:
At 1:45 PM, Blogger Cyndi said...

Linda, how I loved this post! I listened to a seminary chapel podcast this week on prayer, and the professor spoke of this exact phrase, "Hallowed by Thy name" as actually being a request we are making to God. "God, hallow Your name." That has made me hear the careless uses of His name with new ears this week, and actually use those occasions to silently pray, "Lord, hallow Your name to this person, or in this place" when I hear His name misused.

And you're right. We are guilty of not hallowing His name when we do not acknowledge Who He is. So, I've been praying that same prayer for myself.

Excellent post. I'm so glad you shared this! Have a blessed weekend, friend.

 
At 2:13 PM, Blogger Keziah said...

"What of the times when I put off prayer or reading my Bible because there are other things that I either need or want to do? What of the times I have walked off and gone my own way? What about trust? Do I really trust Him – with everything and everyone in my life? When the difficult times come and there is no answer to the “Whys” of my hurting heart – do I trust Him? Do I really believe He is who His names say He is? If I don’t, I am not hallowing His name."

Ouch! Thank you for a reminder of and an insight into this part of the Lord's prayer. I was needing that this evening.

x

 
At 5:17 PM, Blogger Christina said...

I thought this post was very thought provoking. I know I am guilty of my own offenses, so you are right in thanking God that is is a step by step process. I am going over to check out the post on Bev's blog right now.

 
At 7:43 PM, Blogger Nancy said...

My eyes (and heart) have been opened by your post today. I really never thought of it as times when I put off prayer, Bible study, trust, faith, etc... Thanks for blessing me today with your words of wisdom.

 
At 8:55 PM, Blogger rena said...

Excellent post. How true..our attitudes that take Him and His name for granted equates to taking His name in vain.
I've often wondered what to do or say when I hear someone using His name as profanity...other than pray for them.

 
At 10:55 PM, Blogger Girl Raised in the South said...

This was very thought provoking, something I'll have to come back to and absorb bit by bit. I loved your comment, when I think I've arrived he leads me around another corner. Isnt that the truth! Thank you for the sweet mention of my post - hope its encouraging to others out there separated by miles.

 
At 6:42 AM, Blogger Carole Burant said...

Another beautiful heartfelt post dear Linda! It always has bothered me when people use God's name in vain...I never say anything, though, because who am I to tell them to stop. As you say, it's hard to know what to do in times like that. xox

 
At 11:22 AM, Blogger Susie said...

Linda,
What a great post. You know, I have never had a problem using the Lord's name in vain due to an incredible example set by my mom. However, you pointed out a very important thing to me. How often do I choose to do things other than spend time in His word or in prayer. Thank you for this post! I also loved crying, I mean reading over Bev's post. Wow, it was so good.

 
At 4:26 PM, Blogger Donnetta said...

You said, " I want the very hidden things of my heart to honor Him as well".

Oh, how I so desperately want that too!! It isn't about what others think... it's all about what God thinks!

Thanks for such a thought provoking post!

 
At 4:37 PM, Blogger Julie said...

Hi Linda,
Our society has really gotten bad about misusing the Lord's name. Even on the kid's shows on Disney, most of the characters constantly say, "Oh my God!" It's everywhere, and it's heartbreaking.

The best we can do is set a good example and train our own children to respect the Lord's name.

Thank GOD Christianity is a process! None of us will arrive this side of heaven.

 
At 5:16 PM, Blogger 2nd Cup of Coffee said...

Hey linda, great post. And your header is beautiful. I'm a Linda in the middle years, too!

 
At 5:20 PM, Blogger Nadine said...

What a lovely post and so well thought out. Thank you for sharing.

 
At 8:54 PM, Blogger Susie said...

Dear Linda,
May I just say this prayer has been on our lips (and hearts) quite often
the last several days.
Thank you for the link, the prayers and this beautiful post.
((hugs))

 
At 8:48 AM, Blogger Shawna said...

You have been a busy posting bee while I was out sick. This is another good one!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home