About Me

Name: Linda

Location: Texas


I am a wife, mom and grandma. I am doing what I've wanted to do all my life. I am a Christian and I love the Lord.

My Complete Profile
Contact Me


Blogrolls
Family Friendly Blogroll [-]

A Group Blog for Christian Moms

Christian Women Online
Blog Ring

Join | List | Random

Recent Posts
Thankful Thursday
In This Skin
Bluebonnets!!
Sunday Afternoon Chat
Hallowed Be Thy Name
Thankful Thursday
In Other Words
Thankful Thursday
Five Reasons I Blog
The Promised Land

Archives
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
August 2009


Search


Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by:



Miscellaneous
Add Snippets to your site






Subscribe with Bloglines


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported License. Site Meter

Tuesday, March 20, 2007
In Other Words


"It is insufficient to proclaim that the Church of God has a mission in the world. Rather, the God of mission has a Church." Tim Dearborn.


Our very down-to-earth, practical Pastor is fond of saying, “If Jesus didn’t want you to share the gospel with others, He would have taken you to heaven the minute you were saved.” The truth of that pierces my heart. So often life with its daily responsibilities, its joys and sorrows, so consumes my thoughts and my energies, I give little thought to spreading the gospel. It is enough just to get through the day. I am so centered on self and the people God has placed in my life I scarcely remember to pray for those who have never heard the sweet story of redeeming love. I believe that my mission field is truly right here in my own home and neighborhood, however there are so many others who ought to have a place in my heart.

Years ago, when our boys were in their teens, they went on a mission trip with my husband into Mexico. The group from our church was going to build a little home for a family there. When they arrived at the little village, they were stunned to find the family was living in a cardboard shanty. It was a young couple with an infant. While the men and boys got to work on the building, the girls rounded up the children in the neighborhood and sang and told Bible stories and handed out candy. In two days’ time there was a little two room house in the place where the shanty had been. It was painted, there were curtains at the window, and my husband (the electrician) had even wired the little home. They all gathered around the gleaming, new little home, joined hands and sang and prayed. Even the biggest, strongest men had tears running down their cheeks. It was an experience none of them will ever forget.

It is a miraculous thing – this giving of one’s self. It always comes back with a greater measure of blessing than we can possibly imagine. We aren’t able to go on mission trips because of my husband’s medical condition, but we can still participate in missions. My husband’s heart is so big. He gives sacrificially month after month. We sponsor a little boy through World Vision and are able to help his family in a very real and tangible way. And we pray. I began a short time ago, to pray for my brothers and sisters in Christ who are suffering for the cause of the gospel. Claiming the name of Christ in some places comes with a high price. I want them to know I love them and am praying for them. Those who go to minister and to bring the precious word need my prayers as well.

I believe it is true that "...the God of missions has a Church." Without missions there would not even be a church. Jesus commissioned us all to go – and we are His church. It doesn’t matter what name we put in front of it – we, believers, are the church. We are to go, whether we never leave our own town or travel thousands of miles from home, and bring the good news.

Laurel is hosting In Other Words today. Go there to read more.

Blessings,
 
  posted at 2:20 PM
  17 comments



17 Comments:
At 2:30 PM, Blogger Dawn said...

Mission trips change lives. I have seen it so many times. Wonderful post.

 
At 2:55 PM, Blogger Amydeanne said...

Great post! Sounds like you've got the right idea!

 
At 2:57 PM, Blogger Cyndi said...

Linda, I just loved this post!

"We are to go, whether we never leave our own town or travel thousands of miles from home, and bring the good news." This phrase was so meaningful. I know that when I have prayed I have been every bit as much *there* as those on the field for whom I'm praying. God is so faithful.

 
At 3:44 PM, Blogger Denise said...

I really loved your thoughts on this quote, bless you.

 
At 4:08 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

I loved the saying of what your pastor says, how true!

How wonderful that your family was able to go on the mission to help that family...and even now not being able to travel, but still to contribute and support.

 
At 5:32 PM, Blogger ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ said...

“If Jesus didn’t want you to share the gospel with others, He would have taken you to heaven the minute you were saved.”

Thank you for sharing so well for this quote. I loved the above quote as well. Another great thought.

 
At 5:58 PM, Blogger eph2810 said...

Amen to that Linda. It is so true. Even when we can't go, we are still his missionaries.

Our youth goes every year on a mission, the younger ones go to Mexico - the older ones make longer trips :)...

Blessings to you and yours, Linda.

 
At 7:47 PM, Blogger rena said...

Well said. I am soooo looking forward to going on a missions trip some day soon.

 
At 8:24 PM, Blogger Bonnie W said...

Keep praying for missions, Linda. Only eternity will reveal how important your paryers are!
Bonnie

 
At 9:04 PM, Blogger Lori said...

Linda I found my head nodding in agreement while reading this. Thank you for sharing the story of your family's mission trip, and it is true the Lord rewards ten fold!!

Such a beautiful post. Thank you.

 
At 9:59 PM, Blogger Nancy said...

"Teaching all nations", that is a big task God gave us when He gave us the great commission. It sounds like you and your family are doing your share and that is a blessing. I agree with the prayer also, you are right on target. Thanks for sharing... such a meaningful post.

 
At 10:31 PM, Blogger Carole Burant said...

Hi Linda:-) I've only been away for a few days but feel like it's been a month! lol Trying to get caught up with everyone now. Glad to hear you had such a wonderful weekend with your son and family!! xox

 
At 6:52 AM, Blogger Alida Sharp said...

I had always dreamed of going on a mission trip when I was a little girl... I had no idea God would send me and family to Russia to serve there! It is a joy to live and learn from the people in Russia.

May God continue to bless all those you support so faithfully!

 
At 7:45 AM, Blogger Susie said...

I loved reading your post today. Our home church is very intent on reaching the lost, especially in our on backyard. I love that our christian brothers and sisters are really making an impact around the world. You, giving and praying, makes that happen.

 
At 9:02 AM, Blogger Diane Viere said...

WOW! Great post! Evangelizing has never been my strong suit...but you are so right....we must evangelize--share the gift of abundant and eternal life.

Diane

 
At 10:06 AM, Blogger Shawna said...

What an amazing experience that must have been. I crave an experience like that where I can see a great difference that I made, but that is the selfish side of me. I know that we are supposed to spread the Word and God's love in small ways, even when we can't see an immediate difference-or maybe no difference at all.

On a sidenote, my husband is an electrician, too.

Very good post, Linda!

 
At 10:55 PM, Blogger Cheryl Wray said...

I just LOVE that quote from your preacher. So, so true!!
I have been on a number of mission trips and I can say that they are some of the most meaningful experiences I have ever had!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home