About Me

Name: Linda

Location: Texas


I am a wife, mom and grandma. I am doing what I've wanted to do all my life. I am a Christian and I love the Lord.

My Complete Profile
Contact Me


Blogrolls
Family Friendly Blogroll [-]

A Group Blog for Christian Moms

Christian Women Online
Blog Ring

Join | List | Random

Recent Posts
Thankful Thursday
Five Reasons I Blog
The Promised Land
Thankful Thursday
In Other Words
Self-Destruction
Blessed
PRIDE
HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY
Father's Love Letter

Archives
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
August 2009


Search


Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by:



Miscellaneous
Add Snippets to your site






Subscribe with Bloglines


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported License. Site Meter

Tuesday, March 06, 2007
In Other Words
“To be a Christian without prayer is no more possible
than to be alive without breathing.”
Martin Luther


I live in a part of the country where spring comes early. I eagerly await the day I can open all the windows of my house and have the fresh breath of spring blow through all the rooms. Our summers are long and hot, and once they arrive everything is shut up and the air conditioner begins its unending job of keeping us comfortably cool. The winters are cold enough that during that season too everything is tightly shut. I sometimes long for fresh air. The house seems so closed in – the air old and stale.

So it is in my life. I must candidly confess that I have struggled with prayer. For some reason I had looked on it as one of those “must do” things, and my rebellious heart found too many reasons to put it off – too busy, too tired, too difficult – and then too guilty because I didn’t pray and knew that I should.

When I finally saw prayer as it should be seen – as a conversation with the One who loves me more than I can ever comprehend – it became so much easier. Now it is simply talking to Him – and listening, wanting to know all the things He wants me to learn. When I get down on my knees and begin to talk to Him – it is as though the fresh breath of His Spirit flows in and through my soul. All the old, stale air is blown away, and I can breathe in the freshness of mercy and grace.

I can exist in a house with the windows all shut tight, never getting any fresh air. Eventually I will waste away. I can live a life without prayer, but it will be a poor, miserable sort of life. My relationship with the Lord will wither and die without the fresh breath of His Spirit pouring into my soul. I need fresh air to live; I need prayer for LIFE.

For more writings on this quote go to Sting My Heart.

Blessings,
 
  posted at 12:38 PM
  18 comments



18 Comments:
At 12:49 PM, Blogger Denise said...

Very well said, sweet blessings to you.

 
At 1:09 PM, Blogger Diane Viere said...

What a beautiful analogy...yes, we can choose to live a life without prayer...and live...but how abundantly?!

Perfect!

Great thoughts today; I'm going to check out this great blog-meme....looks like a great writing prompt.

And, BTW: thank you so much for your kind (and moving) comment on my blog. It touched my heart so. Thank you.

Diane

 
At 1:59 PM, Blogger Amydeanne said...

very well said. I came for the party, but enjoy the IOW. Funny, my girl (4yrs) and I have had a conversation about this yesterday!

Anyhow, lovely blog, come by the 160 and get some party favors!
Amydeanne
*following the party trail!

 
At 2:03 PM, Blogger Miriam Pauline said...

I love this analogy. I, too, love the fresh air of Spring flowing in. Love the comparison to prayer.

 
At 2:52 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

I love how you always make the most beautiful analogies in regards to life and your faith/religion!

 
At 4:39 PM, Blogger Susie said...

Linda,
What beautiful thoughts now that Springtime is here for many of us.
My visits here never fail to brighten my day!
((hugs))

 
At 7:30 PM, Blogger Lori said...

I am looking forward to spring. A new beginning.

 
At 7:15 AM, Blogger eph2810 said...

Amen, Linda. I so agree with you...We too have long, hot summers and the air gets really stale after a month without the fresh air...I love how you have connected the too. I took me a while to get that prayer is not just on my knees, but involving Him in my life 24/7.

Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts on this week's IOW quote.

Blessings on your day and always...

 
At 8:38 AM, Blogger Susie said...

Just beautiful Linda. You did a wonderful job with this post.

 
At 9:58 AM, Blogger Tammy said...

I loved this, Linda. So beautifully said...thank you- it truly blessed me!

 
At 12:45 PM, Blogger Werna Gail said...

God has truly given you a gift with words, the way you compare and the way you share what is in your heart really lets me see Jesus in your life. GREAT post.

 
At 3:22 PM, Blogger Carole Burant said...

Beautifully said dear Linda! Many live without prayers but oh, what they are missing!!! xox

 
At 6:53 PM, Blogger Christina said...

No truer words have ever been said. I sometimes put prayer by the wayside and eventually I am brought back to reality and realize how much I miss prayer and try to keep it in my life daily.

 
At 10:58 PM, Blogger Susanne said...

Very well put! I love how you defined prayer.

 
At 11:23 PM, Blogger Nadine said...

What a lovely post. I love spending time with Him. You said this very well.

 
At 8:51 AM, Blogger Holly said...

Linda,
I love the picture of the pansies!! In Colorado, we don't get a whole lot of flora. Thanks for the bright and cheery picture....it made my morning!

I look forward to reading your blog. The comments have piqued my interest.

Blessings on Ya!
Holly

PS What part of Texas? My family and I moved from Marshall (we'll be in Tyler next week for my nephew's wedding.
chrishollysmith@msn.com

 
At 11:20 AM, Blogger Barb said...

Beautifully stated, Linda. At one time or another, I think we all get bogged down and forgetful about prayer. The important thing is to wake up and come back to it. It's very much like opening all the windows and letting the light in.

 
At 12:01 PM, Blogger Shawna said...

That is beautiful and so true. I don't know of many people who pray as much as they should. Thanks for the words of wisdom.

Happy Thursday to you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home