About Me

Name: Linda

Location: Texas


I am a wife, mom and grandma. I am doing what I've wanted to do all my life. I am a Christian and I love the Lord.

My Complete Profile
Contact Me


Blogrolls
Family Friendly Blogroll [-]

A Group Blog for Christian Moms

Christian Women Online
Blog Ring

Join | List | Random

Recent Posts
Journaling
One Thousand Gifts
THE LIGHT
Happy Birthday to our Yankee Doodle Boy!
Home and a Post on Freedom
Visiting the Grands
Good-byes
Arms of Love
A Love Story
A Letter To My Father

Archives
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
August 2009


Search


Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by:



Miscellaneous
Add Snippets to your site






Subscribe with Bloglines


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported License. Site Meter

Wednesday, July 16, 2008
Our Refuge
We talked to our daughter today - even got to see her beautiful face with the aid of the miraculous webcam. After we shared all of the really important news, we talked a little about the "state of the nation". She is a bit out of touch in Versailles - no tv these days. So we began to tell her what the media has offered up to us lately.

I don't ever write about politics, and I won't start now. Suffice it to say - we ended that portion of the conversation feeling a tad discouraged. They don't seem to be serving up large portions of hope on the nightly news.

After we moved on to happier things and said au revoir (I'm trying...), I turned to a more reliable source of information, one that never fails to lift my spirits and birth hope in my heart. One of my Psalms for today is Psalm 46. Here are the first few verses:

"God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
Therefore we will not fear, though the earth should change,
And though the mountains slip into the heart of the sea;
Though its waters roar and foam,
Though the mountains quake at its swelling pride.

There is a river whose streams make glad the city of God,
The holy dwelling places of the Most High.
God is in the midst of her, she will not be moved;
God will help her when morning dawns.
The nations made an uproar, the kingdoms tottered;
He raised His voice, the earth melted.
The Lord of Hosts is with us;
The God of Jacob is our stronghold."

In these chaotic, sometimes discouraging times, there is a place of refuge - a place that is the same yesterday, today and forever. That place is the glorious King of Kings and Lord of Lords, and He is our strong tower, our place of safety. I am so thankful.

Blessings,
 
  posted at 4:55 PM
  14 comments



14 Comments:
At 6:37 PM, Blogger Susanne said...

I am so thankful too! Thinking of the Lord as my strong tower is so powerful!

 
At 9:36 PM, Blogger Donnetta said...

What a great reminder and promise in uncertain times!

 
At 10:43 PM, Blogger Dawn said...

I don't know how I got so far behind again! I've been gone two days, and I'm 4 days behind, it seems.

Wonderful thoughts, as usual. I love that Psalm so much. I so agree with you about how much better a job God does with watering the lawn! I'm so glad you got some much needed rain.

I'm so glad you got to have such a nice visit with your daughter - and seemingly face to face. Saturday morning at 6:00 a.m., we'll be watching our niece being married in England at 1:00 in the afternoon their time. I sure hope we can figure out the technology so that it works.

 
At 11:04 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Linda,

Amen... Our refuge... Beautiful post. Hugs!!

 
At 8:28 AM, Blogger Abba's Girl said...

Amen Sister!

Annette

 
At 10:23 AM, Blogger Brenda@CoffeeTeaBooks said...

Beautiful!

I have come to the place where I'm thinking of NOT watching the national news.

I've long been a Fox News fan and now I will also check in with Fox Business Channel if there is big economic news.

Not a way to get a good night's sleep.

 
At 6:10 AM, Blogger Dr.John said...

When i came out of my two month comma and had to learn to walk again I leaned on those words over and over.

 
At 9:18 AM, Blogger Kerri said...

I had my first experience with a webcam this week while 'talking' via the computer with a blogfriend in Maine. It was neat! We don't have one..but it got me thinking that it may be a nice thing to have :) What a treat to see you daughter, as well as talk to her. I agree that the political situation is extremely discouraging at the moment. I loved reading this Psalm this morning. Thank you. I also enjoyed your post on freedom. Our July Community Choir concert was last Sunday night. Called 'Freedom', it was truly stirring. I choked up while singing one of the songs about how proud we are of our armed services. All the veterans were standing, my husband among them. It was a touching moment.
Blessings to you dear friend. It's always so nice to hear from you :) Thanks for your always sweet and welcome words.

 
At 12:28 PM, Blogger Nancy said...

God is our refuge during this troubling times and I am thankful too! Thanks for the scripture... very uplifting!

How lucky you are to have a webcam... and a great way to keep in touch with your daughter- that is a blessing indeed!

 
At 5:20 PM, Blogger tsduff said...

I'm here from Dr. John's place - thank you for reminding me of that verse. I've had a crisis of faith this past 2 years - but those words can still break through the apathy with a bit of warmth.

 
At 9:51 PM, Blogger Dawn said...

Re your comment on my S&T today - yes, there's quite a learning curve for us older moms who are taking care of grands - but I have definitely become a pro! Imagine how we all survived before all of this equipment!

 
At 4:38 PM, Blogger Angela said...

What is the picture on your blog? It looks so much like the castle in our little village here in leicestershire, england, but I am sure it cannot be!
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2008/2305443807_2da7550916.jpg?v=0

thank you for your words
blessings, Angela

 
At 11:33 AM, Blogger Angela said...

So its Kenilworth Castle - thats not too far from here in Warwickshire, and also a Tudor structure, thats why it is so similar!
Thanks for your comment on my blog

 
At 4:22 PM, Blogger Shosannah said...

So comforting.
A beautiful Psalm.
Thankyou for sharing it. I feel like I needed to hear it today.
Blessings
Suzy

 

Post a Comment

<< Home