About Me

Name: Linda

Location: Texas


I am a wife, mom and grandma. I am doing what I've wanted to do all my life. I am a Christian and I love the Lord.

My Complete Profile
Contact Me


Blogrolls
Family Friendly Blogroll [-]

A Group Blog for Christian Moms

Christian Women Online
Blog Ring

Join | List | Random

Recent Posts
Arms of Love
A Love Story
A Letter To My Father
Sleep (or the lack thereof)
Saturday At My House
RARE BIRD SIGHTING!
The Desert
DOLDRUMS
One Thousand Gifts
I Love Him

Archives
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
August 2009


Search


Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by:



Miscellaneous
Add Snippets to your site






Subscribe with Bloglines


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported License. Site Meter

Wednesday, June 25, 2008
Good-byes

Two Precious Gifts - my Mom and my Daughter

I hate good-byes. You know - the ones where someone you dearly love is going away on a long trip or leaving to go to a far distant home after a visit. I begin to get that sick feeling in the pit of my stomach days before the actual good-bye, casting a shadow over that last bit of time together. I tell myself this is a silly way to behave, but it is useless to try and convince my heart of that. It refuses to cooperate.

I have known for a long time that my beautiful daughter would do a lot of traveling. She is a planner, and when she sets a goal she very nearly always accomplishes it. She went to France and Spain last fall for a couple of weeks and decided then and there that she would go back for an extended time as soon as she could. She immediately began working toward that goal.

So I have known for a long time that this day would come, and I have dreaded the good-bye. For weeks now she has been getting everything in order to be gone from her home for three months. I should tell you that she is twenty-nine years old and single. She saved diligently for years and bought her own little house a couple of years ago. She has left no detail undone. Little by little she has crossed things off her many lists and today she crossed off the final "things to be done."

She is a writer - an excellent writer (said the proud mother). She works part-time as an editor and does a lot of free-lance writing. She took a leave of absence from her job, bought a lap top and plans to work on her free-lance editing and writing from Versailles.

I am thrilled for her. She is living out her dream. I have a feeling this is just the beginning of a grand adventure for her. I will miss her more than I can say. I'll miss the nightly telephone conversations and the visits. She is more than a daughter; she is my dear friend, my confidant, my joy. I am so proud of the young woman she has become. Her heart is as beautiful as her radiant face.

Knowing how much her Dad and I will miss her, she bought us a web cam. I have definitely stepped into the 21st century! We will be able to talk to one another via the computer AND SEE EACH OTHER! Thank you technology!! We did a dry run the other night, and I think even I will be able to pull this off. It is simply amazing. When my son and his family move to Dallas, we will get them one too. Then we will be able to see all the grandchildren whenever we want to - right here in our own home. It isn't as good as the real thing, but it sure is special to be able to see each other even when we are separated by hundreds and hundreds of miles.

We just got home from the airport a little while ago. Yes - those last few minutes were hard. It seems there is always another little bit of letting go. You think you've done it once and for all, but that just isn't so. We are holding her in our prayers, trusting her to the loving care of a Father who will never let her out of His sight for a moment (just as He never did when she was right here). We pray for safety and protection, for the blessing of finding other believers and a good church, for wisdom and discernment for her, and that she will have the very best of times.

She has filled our lives with such love and joy. The Lord brought her into our lives when she was just three months old, and we have been so blessed. I am so grateful. He gives me so much more than I could ever deserve.

Have a wonderful time Honey. We love you more than words can ever say. I miss you!

Blessings,
 
  posted at 5:48 PM
  4 comments



4 Comments:
At 10:43 PM, Blogger Susanne said...

Wow. Good for her! But I know how you feel back here on the other end. How sweet of her to think of a web cam for you. You'll be a techno queen before you know it.

 
At 5:58 AM, Blogger Ann Voskamp @Holy Experience said...

Oh, dear Linda... I hear your mama's heart... wish I could reach out and give you a big HUG.

You've been a good mama... and now your fledgling has wings to FLY!

And what a gift from Father's hand that you can talk via webcam.

How I send love, Linda....

All's grace,
Ann

 
At 1:01 AM, Blogger Linds said...

Oh Linda, you know how well I know this feeling. You have raised a beautiful girl with dreams, and the courage to follow them. And if all else fails, she is an hour's flying time from me. She will have a wonderful time.

I just love webcams. My daughter and i each have one and it is hilarious. I get to see the new boots, the new hair etc and she gets to see me looking like something the cat dragged in at the crack of dawn, when I crawl out of bed at 5am to talk to her! The time difference betwen the UK and NZ is 11-13 hours.

Have a great time with the grandchildren this weekend!

 
At 10:59 PM, Blogger Joanne : The Simple Wife said...

Lucky daughter!

I lived in Paris (in Montparnasse) after college and it was so wonderful. But it's also good to move home just five minutes from mom!

As my mom would tell me, it's a season.

I suppose a trip to Paris must be in your future...

Joanne

 

Post a Comment

<< Home