About Me

Name: Linda

Location: Texas


I am a wife, mom and grandma. I am doing what I've wanted to do all my life. I am a Christian and I love the Lord.

My Complete Profile
Contact Me


Blogrolls
Family Friendly Blogroll [-]

A Group Blog for Christian Moms

Christian Women Online
Blog Ring

Join | List | Random

Recent Posts
Thankful Thursday
FREEDOM
Just Call me Sophora secundiflora
Reflections of Him
Simply Trusting
Thankful Thursday
In Other Words
Jesus - My Rock
Exhaustified!!
Thankful Thursday

Archives
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
August 2009


Search


Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by:



Miscellaneous
Add Snippets to your site






Subscribe with Bloglines


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported License. Site Meter

Friday, July 06, 2007
Pride Goeth Before.....well you know
It's funny the way pride can sneak up on you (or I should in all honesty say me). Just when I think I'm clicking along pretty well, feeling rather good about myself, whistling a happy tune and being generally - well - proud, the inevitable happens. I experienced just one of those "inevitables" the other day.

I should preface this by saying I find physical humor very funny - actually I find it pretty hysterical. As long as the person isn't seriously hurt, I am the one laughing until my sides hurt and tears are pouring out of my eyes when the pompous news anchor misses his or her chair and disappears from sight landing on the floor in a rather undignified heap; or someone is walking along admiring themselves in the store front window and walks into a light pole. You get the idea. I'm sure this reveals a rather sadistic bent to my personality - much to the amazement of the few of you who harbored illusions of my sterling character.

So.....we were at our local V.A. hospital for my husband's eye exam. Periodically I collect all of our old magazines, cut off our address label and bring them with us to leave in the waiting room so others can enjoy them. Most of them are Christian magazines, so we leave them with a little prayer that the message they contain might touch someone's life. I had a good sized stack and left my husband at his appointment to take them to the second floor waiting room. When I arrived, I handed them to the nurse who was really grateful to get them. Good deed done, I headed back down the long hospital corridor.

I was feeling pretty good about myself. What a lovely thing I had done. Just think of all the blessings I was leaving in my wake. There were three people approaching me from the opposite direction of the usually deserted corridor and a young woman walking behind me. I was sailing confidently along when the toe of my shoe caught in the raised "thingy" that joins one portion of the floor to the next. In one horrifying moment of time I was flailing around desperately trying to keep my balance. I don't know how I managed to not actually land in a heap, but the recovery wasn't pretty. My arms were flying wildly around looking for help and my legs were desperately looking for firm footing. Not a picture of grace and dignity.

By now the three people were pretty close. I could see very little sympathy on their faces. In fact, they look suspiciously like they were trying desperatley not to laugh!!! I pause here to say that I even find physical humor funny when I'm the one providing the entertainment. I've been know to laugh hysterically at myself when there isn't even anyone else around. I looked at all three of them and said, "There is hardly ever anyone in this hallway!!" With that we all burst out laughing. The sweet girl behind me still looked like she was feeling rather sorry for me. We turned the corner together and headed for the stairway (neither of us opting to wait for the elevator). I looked at her and said, "If you hear a loud noise, it's just me falling down the stairs." She finally laughed. I felt much better. You could hurt yourself trying to keep all that hysteria inside.

As I carefully walked the rest of the way to meet my husband (having safely negotiated the stairs) that verse in Proverbs came to mind, "Pride goes before destruction, and a haughty spirit before stumbling." Proverbs 16:18 I think I just had a little lesson in humility. It proves true in my life all the time, the moment I think I have it all together, the Lord gently reminds me of just who I really am. I am working on having the kind of humility that is pleasing to Him. I don't want to have to keep stumbling.

Blessings,
 
  posted at 12:03 PM
  16 comments



16 Comments:
At 2:29 PM, Blogger Diane@Diane's Place said...

I've fallen 3 times in the last 25 years, Linda. Twice was at church, once while I was leading song service and once as I was walking into the sanctuary for Sunday School. The other time was when the WMU was out carolling. Lots and lots of witnesses every single time. I wasn't hurt, but my loving sisters said that even if I'd been bleeding they still would have had to laugh, then they'd check on me, which they did....eventually, LOL!

Glad you could laugh at yourself and that you weren't hurt. :-)

Have a wonderful weekend, Linda. :-)

Love and hugs,

Diane

 
At 4:13 PM, Blogger someone else said...

I'm so glad you weren't hurt because I found myself laughing here.

 
At 6:11 PM, Blogger Susanne said...

Oh dear that sound just like something that would happen to me. But I don't handle near as graciously and with good humor as you did. I just get totally red.

 
At 6:20 PM, Blogger sharon brobst said...

There was a time a fall like that would have mortified me. But the older I get I realize you just gotta laugh...

 
At 8:21 PM, Blogger Barb said...

I'm sorry, Linda, but I'm smiling. I'm NOT laughing. Really. But I can just see you doing all that flailing around to regain your balance.

Stuff like that is so embarrassing, all you can do is laugh. Right?

 
At 9:45 PM, Blogger Brenda@CoffeeTeaBooks said...

Oh, I'm afraid that is TOO funny. :) Too bad we don't have pictures.

That particular verse is one I kept telling my daughter. She was so smart (a Dean Scholar at college), a gorgeous singer, and so talented in many areas. I used that verse to remind her to be uh...humble.

She doesn't need it now. She says her four children have each taken a part of her brain.

Do take care of yourself!

 
At 9:48 PM, Blogger Susie said...

So glad to hear you weren't hurt. What can one do other than laugh in a situation like that!
xo

 
At 10:04 PM, Blogger Dawn said...

That sounds eerily like the time recently (I blogged about it, if you recall) that I walked outof my new sandal and fell in front of the whole church (well, on the side aisle, but it felt like in front). Quite a few people didn't know it happened, but I wanted a Moses thing to happen and swalloe me up like the Philistines!

 
At 12:49 AM, Blogger Myrna said...

You certainly handled it well!

I just have to tell you--You have every right to be pleased with yourself for delivering magazines to the waiting room. After spending a month in the ICU waiting room, I can tell you--hospitals can ALWAYS use more reading material! I finally remembered to keep a book with me--and keep extras in the car! You have blessed someone with those magazines.

 
At 5:33 AM, Blogger Pear tree cottage! said...

Not being hurt and hving a good laugh is wonderful for the sole!! I too have a very little smile on my face! after reading this great post.

May the day be happy for you.

Lee-ann

 
At 8:31 AM, Blogger Carole Burant said...

Now you've got me giggling...LOL! I think it's happened to all of us, having such embarrassing moments and yes, it figures, there always has to be someone there to see our little "routine"! lol I'm glad you weren't hurt but it really must have been funny! hehe xoxo

 
At 1:10 PM, Blogger eph2810 said...

You made me smile with this post, my sweet friend...Well, I am the one who usually laughs the loudest over my own clumsiness and yes, I do enjoy slap-stick comedy too :) -- as long no one really gets hurt...
Thank you for the gentle reminder that pride can get you stumbling and ultimately makes you fall.

Blessings to you and yours...

 
At 10:47 PM, Blogger Tammy said...

Oh, bless your heart but good for you for keeping your humor!
That in itself is a good lesson for me, since I tend to take myself way too seriously sometimes!

 
At 3:18 PM, Blogger TheNormalMiddle said...

Oh Linda, I had a good laugh at your expense :) I am glad you weren't hurt! (well, other than the pride, that is)

 
At 1:06 PM, Blogger Sharon said...

It seems the older I get, the less I take life so seriously and gracefully. I have fallen 3 times in the past year! Twice I stepped in a hole while walking around the yard, and once at a bowling alley trying to take a video. That was embarrassing, but I came up carefully with a smile and unfortunately a sprain. I think I need walking lessons again!
;-)
Glad you didn't get hurt, and you are an angel to pass along your magazines.

 
At 7:44 AM, Blogger Girl Raised in the South said...

Good for you for making everyone else feel so much more comfortable, by laughing at yourself. If we did that every day, we'd all be better off. xoxoxo

 

Post a Comment

<< Home