About Me

Name: Linda

Location: Texas


I am a wife, mom and grandma. I am doing what I've wanted to do all my life. I am a Christian and I love the Lord.

My Complete Profile
Contact Me


Blogrolls
Family Friendly Blogroll [-]

A Group Blog for Christian Moms

Christian Women Online
Blog Ring

Join | List | Random

Recent Posts
Jesus - My Rock
Exhaustified!!
Thankful Thursday
Perseverance
Happy Father's Day
Ruth Bell Graham
Thankful Thursday
In Other Words
Lavender Hill Pictures
Our Lavender Day

Archives
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
August 2009


Search


Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by:



Miscellaneous
Add Snippets to your site






Subscribe with Bloglines


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported License. Site Meter

Tuesday, June 26, 2007
In Other Words




"When there is little awareness of real need
there is little real prayer."
Donald S. Whitney from Spiritual Disciplines
for Christian Life

Years ago I worked as a volunteer at our local V.A. hospital. I was assigned to work in the o.r. waiting room. The nurses or doctors would call when a patient was coming out of surgery, and I would tell the family and friends waiting to hear the news that someone would be coming out to talk with them soon. Sometimes, after talking with the doctor, there were those who looked so upset. I often asked if they would like me to pray with them, and never once did anyone refuse. In our time of deepest need we instictively reach out to the only One who can help. I don't know if all of these people were Christians. Probably some of them were, but even those who weren't wanted to somehow touch God.

I have noticed that we can be very casual about God until, that is, we find ourselves in a desperate situation. I know there have been long periods of time in my own Christian life when I hardly prayed at all. I was busy; I was doing just fine; I was too guilty over repetitious sins. There was always an excuse.

I have come to realize the importance of prayer. I'm thankful it didn't take dreadful circumstances (although there have been some of those since). It took seeing God through eyes that were finally opened to the great need of my heart, knowing that life without Him just wasn't very satisfying, that separation from Him with my silence hurt His heart as well as mine. How desperately I needed a close relationship with Him.

I think there are people all around us who are going about their lives never fully aware of the true need of their heart. They fill the empty places with all sorts of things that never truly satisfy. It isn't until they recognize their need of a Savior that they pray from the heart. I think everyone sends up little prayers during the course of their life when things look rather dark. I believe it isn't until we realize that we are separated from God by our sin and we need to be forgiven that "real" prayer begins. Then prayer becomes as necessary as the very air we breathe.

Father, may I never again distance myself from You with prayerlessness. I need You more than anything else in this world, and I need to spend time talking to you. Without you I can do nothing, but with You all things are possible.

For more writing on this great quote please visit Laurel's blog. She is our host for this week. You will find a warm, loving welcome there.

Blessings,
 
  posted at 5:04 PM
  6 comments



6 Comments:
At 5:32 PM, Blogger Lori said...

Nothing to add, just a big AMEN. Thank you this blessed me.

 
At 7:54 PM, Blogger Myrna said...

I agree with Laurel--AMEN!

Tou write with such clarity and feeling. thank you for sharing your thoughts and your talent.

 
At 8:41 PM, Blogger Amico Dio said...

You are so right. In times of need I have never had anyone turn down an offer of prayer. Thanks for a wonderful post!

 
At 10:25 PM, Blogger Dawn said...

YOU bless ME!! What a blessing that we have found each other to bless. God is good! You hit the nail on the head with this one, as usual.

 
At 12:10 AM, Blogger eph2810 said...

Again - a beautiful post, Linda. You words are always such a blessing :)
My biggest thing is that I don't thank Him enough on a daily basis. He truly has blessed my life tremendously, but where is my thanks - sometimes very thin. Thank you for the reminder that we should pray even in good times.

Blessings to your Wednesday and always.

 
At 11:49 PM, Blogger Shawna said...

Linda, you such an inspiration to me. So eloquently yet simply said. Beautiful.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home