About Me

Name: Linda

Location: Texas


I am a wife, mom and grandma. I am doing what I've wanted to do all my life. I am a Christian and I love the Lord.

My Complete Profile
Contact Me


Blogrolls
Family Friendly Blogroll [-]

A Group Blog for Christian Moms

Christian Women Online
Blog Ring

Join | List | Random

Recent Posts
Ripples
Grace
Thankful Thursday
In Other Words
For Heather
Home Again
In Other Words
Catching Up
Easter Wishes
Thankful Thursday

Archives
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
August 2009


Search


Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by:



Miscellaneous
Add Snippets to your site






Subscribe with Bloglines


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported License. Site Meter

Tuesday, April 24, 2007
In Other Words



"Busyness in NOT a spiritual gift."
Lisa Harper


I love this quote because I think, as women, we can identify with it in a vey special way. There are so many things we can get involved in, so many things we're asked to get involved in, so many worthwhile things to do, so many volunteers needed at church in so many areas......... The challenge is knowing which of those things we're supposed to do and not feeling guilty when we say no.

I've already read a couple of posts that talk about this so well. We simply cannot be all things to all people. When I finally thought about my life as having different seasons, it became a lot easier to focus on the things I felt the Lord would have me do at that particular time of my life.

I was blessed to be able to stay at home with my children. I know that was my main ministry for many years. Now the nest is empty. I thought when I reached this season of my life I would have lots more time to do the things I felt I wanted to do and that God would have me do - but God had a different plan for this season of my life.

The diabetes my husband had been living with since he was nineteen finally began to take a terrible toll on his eyes about twenty years ago. After a series of operations he lost the vision in one eye and was unable to work any more. So I found myself facing "early retirement". It was an adjustment, to say the least, to have my husband home all the time. I will be honest and admit that I felt a bit cheated. This was supposed to be "my time" - my season to do the things I hadn't been able to do before. Now I had someone who wanted to do things with me - the person who treasures "alone time" and had waited with great anticipation for that day to arrive. Now I had someone else to consider all the time ....again.

The Lord and I had to work on this one for a long time before I finally just surrendered my big plans and accepted this new ministry God had given me. My husband isn't bed ridden or housebound. He can still drive. He still has things he enjoys doing, but it's different than when he used to go to work all day. We are together most of the time.

Once I gave up my "rights" things got so much easier for me. I don't know what it is about doing things that makes me feel better. Somehow I feel more worthy if I know I've done something for the Lord. I suppose there is a "something" inside of us (of me anyway) that wants to feel I've done something to earn all God has so freely given me in Jesus. I decided that if God had allowed this in our lives then He wanted me to do what He had now given me to do. I've come to enjoy doing things with my husband and getting to share conversation and laughter instead of resenting the fact that I'm not doing the things I thought I would be doing. Oh - I still sometimes long for a bit of alone time, and God graciously works that out.

We've had some new health concerns recently that have made me realize how precious each day is. I am learning to take each day and try to live it as the Lord would have me (and I surely don't do that as consistently as I should). I have my Bible Study each wednesday, my husband and I work for the music librarian at church on wednesday afternoons, and we both sing in the choir. I have my piano lessons, and I now have this new interest - blogging! It's been difficult not to feel guilty that I don't do more. I just can't quite seem to get away from that "works mentality". However, I know this is where the Lord wants me right now. I am trying to use the gift He has given me in the place where He has put me. There is great contentment in that.

There will probably be other seasons of my life. I will just wait to see what the Lord has planned for me. For now I want so much to please Him by doing the ministry He has called me to well.

If you would like to participate or read other posts on this quote please go to Christine's blog - Fruit in Season. She has written a wonderful post on this quote.

Blessings,
 
  posted at 12:20 PM
  20 comments



20 Comments:
At 1:45 PM, Blogger Girl Raised in the South said...

Linda, I'm sure you know this is what I've been struggling with and blogging about - I'm beginning to search for that balance of opinion - the church should offer ministry to women, but not to the level that we all feel guilty that we're not there all the time volunteering to support what are sometimes events that just arent necessary, or at the very least arent as high a priority as being home with our families. When it starts making us feel guilty, something's wrong, esp any who already serve and just feel guilty for not serving more. I loved this quote even though I didnt write on it - it's right on - busy is not a spiritual gift, nor should we try to make it seem as such. xoxo

 
At 2:30 PM, Blogger eph2810 said...

Linda, what a beautiful post. You are sharing from your heart, which I really enjoy.
Yes, the Lord always lets us know where He wants us. Sometimes it is not what we expected, but we know that we can serve Him anywhere with a will heart.

Blessings to you and yours.

 
At 2:48 PM, Blogger Denise said...

Well said, bless you.

 
At 3:35 PM, Blogger Faerylandmom said...

I too, have learned the value of "blooming where I'm planted." I have so many gifts the Lord has given me, but like you, had to learn that there are seasons in life. I am in the diapers/dishes/laundry/endlessquestions/etc... season. As long as I remember that I'm "changing diapers as unto the Lord, not for men," I'm ok.

Thank you for sharing. I appreciate your wisdom...I really do.

 
At 3:45 PM, Blogger Lori said...

This is a beautiful post Linda. Thank you for a post from the heart.

Blessings.

 
At 4:02 PM, Blogger Nancze said...

What a great post. Anything we face in life can be blessed if we give it to the Lord fully. Thanks for sharing. God Bless

 
At 4:13 PM, Blogger Kristen said...

Very beautiful post and very well said!

 
At 4:21 PM, Blogger Nancy said...

Great thoughts... and to me your blogging is a ministry. You have blessed me with your words.

 
At 6:00 PM, Blogger Susie said...

I know you have written of your husband's illness, but I didn't know it was diabetes. That is a disease that took my Mom's eyesight, as well as now my Dad's.
My husband and I also spend the majority of time together. Sometimes we get "alone time" but that's rare.
We try to look on this time as a gift. We may not have loads of money, but time together is priceless.
Great post today...

 
At 6:02 PM, Blogger someone else said...

This was wonderful, Linda. You are only responsible for how you follow the Lord's leading in your life, not how you follow someone else trying to tell you what to do next. Guilt is something imposed by other humans. I don't believe God lays guilt on us.

I heard Gloria Gaither say one time that "we should not get so busy doing that we forget the process of becoming." That has stayed with me all these years, and I find that my most effective service is when it's directed by God.

 
At 8:46 PM, Blogger Amydeanne said...

living a full life of purpose! That's where I want to be! Great points!

 
At 10:18 PM, Blogger Brenda@CoffeeTeaBooks said...

Great post!

I was just feeling sorry for myself recently because of the challenges of living with a chronic illness.

Also, my hubby is on disability due to severe environmental allergies.

I do believe God is in control and uses our life in whatever way He allows!

 
At 10:36 PM, Blogger Susie said...

You are such a wise woman Linda. I really look to your posts for guidance and teaching. I know the time you spend with the Lord and in His word benefit so many women. This blogging site is a ministry as Nancy said. Please continue to share your heart with us. Praying for your husband and the new medical situation.

 
At 12:12 AM, Blogger Anita said...

Hi Linda! I just posted a comment on Kerri's blog and saw your profile photo over there! Do we share the same passion for pansies and violets? I have violet in my profile photo, too! ;-)))
There are currently some pansy photos on my blog, you are more than welcome to pass by if you like!

Warmest wishes from Germany!
Anita

 
At 9:53 AM, Blogger Shawna said...

Very well put, Linda. I am glad that you have settled in and found your niche with contentment. You are right to treasure each day. In my busyness, it is easy to forget that sometimes, and I NEVER want to forget that!

 
At 10:55 AM, Blogger Tammy said...

This was so beautiful and honest, Linda...it is so hard finding that balance or coming to terms sometimes with the place we're in for now.
Our pastor touched on the busyness issue, too...that it's not equal with spirituality.
I know God will give us peace and joy in our present circumstances whenever He places us somewhere.
(((HUGS)))

 
At 1:15 PM, Blogger Christine said...

I love what you said about our worthiness coming from feeling like we've done something. That is a problem I have too. Thanks for participating, Linda!

 
At 3:06 PM, Blogger Susanne said...

" I am trying to use the gift He has given me in the place where He has put me."

That sentence just jumped right out at me, Linda. How many times do I feel run ragged, because I'm trying to do things in places He hasn't put me. Great post!

 
At 10:14 PM, Blogger Cyndi said...

"Once I gave up my "rights" things got so much easier for me."

Bingo (for me at least!) This jumped right out at me, because this is what I had to do several years ago. I first read that in Nancy Leigh DeMoss's book, "Lies Women Believe." It was so freeing to give up my rights and let God take care of it for me.

Excellent post, Linda! I didn't do the IOW this week, but I had to come and see what you said.

Love ya!

 
At 8:27 AM, Blogger Pear tree cottage! said...

Linda a truly beautiful, honest post and I see you speak from your heart........what a lovely thing to do!

The quote is so true and one that if only the world would follow.

blessings this day to you.
Lee-ann

 

Post a Comment

<< Home