About Me

Name: Linda

Location: Texas


I am a wife, mom and grandma. I am doing what I've wanted to do all my life. I am a Christian and I love the Lord.

My Complete Profile
Contact Me


Blogrolls
Family Friendly Blogroll [-]

A Group Blog for Christian Moms

Christian Women Online
Blog Ring

Join | List | Random

Recent Posts
Prayer of Thanks
Thinking Blogger Award - Meme
In Other Words
Pruning
Never Too Old
Thankful Thursday
In Other Words
Thankful Thursday
In This Skin
Bluebonnets!!

Archives
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
August 2009


Search


Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by:



Miscellaneous
Add Snippets to your site






Subscribe with Bloglines


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported License. Site Meter

Monday, April 02, 2007
I Was Wondering....
Before we get to what I was wondering about, a little grandmotherly bragging is in order. My 15 year old granddaughter came in first in their regional Bible Quiz held in Houston last weekend. Her brother, my twelve year old grandson, came in third. He, by the way, is the youngest one competing. That qualifies both of them to go to the National Competition in Oklahoma next week. We are so proud of them. They study one whole book of the Bible (this year it is Romans) and must be prepared to answer questions, recite passages from memory, and have a general knowledge about everything and anything in the entire book. It is an amazing competition to watch. They have to be quick with their answers, because the first one to pop up out of his or her chair gets to answer the question. They have studied hard. It blesses me to think about the wonderful things they are storing up in their hearts. So…YEAH !!!! They did a super job.

Now, to my “wondering”. We bought “The Nativity Story” DVD a week or so ago. I loved it. I think Mary touched my heart in a very profound way. It got me to thinking about the other women in scripture and wondering, if I could step back into the pages of the Bible, which woman I would choose to be.

I love Esther’s story, but I don’t think I’d want to be Queen – as tempting as it seems. Ruth is another woman whose story I deeply admire. I don’t think I’d want to be Sarah or Rebecca or Rachel – and definitely not Leah. Lot’s wife is a definite no. Then there are Mary and Martha. I almost decided on that Mary. She had the wisdom to choose to sit at Jesus’ feet. However, I think I would like to try living in the skin of Mary – the mother of Jesus. Certainly not because I feel as though I am anything like her – quite the opposite. It is because she is so much what I long to be.

I love her quiet grace – her instant submission to the will of God. Could she, in that moment, have had any idea what would be required of her? Perhaps not, but she was willing no matter what the cost.

One of the things that touched me so profoundly while watching the story was the way Mary was able to bear with such grace the disapproval and judgement of everyone around her – even those she loved most dearly. How I long to be that way. To be obedient no matter what the cost. To speak and act in the way God would direct even if it means being misjudged. I am far too concerned with what people think of me. I cannot imagine being so misunderstood and bearing it with such grace. The Bible doesn’t mention it, but surely she was the object of much ridicule and gossip.

She carried the precious secret deep inside her heart. She rejoiced, and she praised God even though her future husband doubted her story. Certainly she was highly favored by God, but just as surely she was called to live a life of great sacrifice. I look at her submission and obedience and know that that is what I want in my life as well. Could she possibly have understood all the things that took place in the life of her beloved Son? Surely she was waiting for Him to take His place as Messiah. Instead she watched Him die a criminal’s death. I love her story. She teaches me so many things.

So…if you could step back into the pages of scripture – who would you choose to be? I was just wondering.

Blessings,
 
  posted at 1:50 PM
  15 comments



15 Comments:
At 2:25 PM, Blogger Holly said...

I would be Mary of Magdelene...a true and faithful worshipper. I would want to have been the first to have seen the Risen Christ! I think, too, that the Lord has done some major work in my life. Like Mary, He has come and healed me and stolen my heart.

Congratulations to your Granddaughter...may His Word stay active in her life and never leave her heart.

In His Joy,
Holly

 
At 2:29 PM, Blogger Holly said...

Oh! Also, I believe that Mary of Bethany had a past that only the Lord could have touched and healed. I wonder if perhaps, she had a shameful past and her sister Martha felt like she was better.... not sure, but anyone like Mary who would annoint the Lord's feet at the disparagement of others had been greatly healed and didn't care what it took to honor her Lord.

 
At 3:04 PM, Blogger someone else said...

Congratulations to your grandchildren! It's wonderful when young people are familiar with their Bibles and scripture.

We saw the Nativity Story in December and the thing that struck me was the journey to Bethlehem. I never thought about the actual journey before. The Bible story just sort of took me from their needing to go and then arriving to have the baby. But there was actually a journey and it must have been difficult in those days. I don't know why that stuck with me, but it did.

Good movie!

 
At 3:41 PM, Blogger Faerylandmom said...

I think the only thing that would fit me is being a deaconess in the 1st century church. Someone like Priscilla or the other women mentioned who served the churches.

If I could be anyone I wanted though, I think I would like to walk in Esther's shoes. I don't really know why.

 
At 3:44 PM, Blogger Donnetta said...

A huge congrats to your grandchildren! You should be bragging! Especially since what they are learning and hiding in their hearts is God's Word! Priceless and timeless....

As for who I would like to be... that one is going to have me thinking for a bit. Hmmmm

I have always enjoyed reading and studying the women of the Bible.

 
At 4:47 PM, Blogger Dawn said...

Good thought-provokers! Imagine Mary having all of that wisdom and grace at probably age 14. Amazing! I'd have to ponder on this awhile to make a choice of who'd I'd like to be. I'll let you know!

Congratulations to your grandkids. I quizzed as a teen, too, and loved every minute. I can still remember some of those heart-stopping moments.

 
At 6:10 PM, Blogger Ms. Kathleen said...

I love that movie too. I need to buy it. I love how they slowly fell in love on their journey and she knew God had blessed her with an amazing man.

A beautiful story with so much faith.

 
At 8:22 PM, Blogger Heather said...

Congratulations to you (and your grandkids!) Wow. Coming from a family that stutters out even the most basic statement due to LD (conversation with Issac earlier today consistd of at least 10 um's to tell my his sister was outside.)

Which Bible character? I have always identified most with Ruth (my MIL and I have a similar relationship, I can't imagine being without her) and with Mary (the one at Jesus feet--a bit impetuous and caught up in whorship foregeting to help with the rest of the work.)

 
At 9:15 PM, Blogger Christina said...

Congratulations to your grandchildren. That is amazing that they are learning such a wonderful grasp of the scripture. How proud you must be.

I have no idea who I would choose to be. Boy that's a hard one.

I am going to rent The Nativity Story because I have not seen it yet.

 
At 11:30 PM, Blogger Pam said...

Congrats to your wonderful grandchildren, Linda!

As far as women, I think I would love to be Lydia who was a business woman and who opened her home to the fledgling church. I am so frightened of being hospitable much of the time that I would relish having Lydia's confidence and faith.

Though if I could be anyone, I would love to have been John, the beloved disciple. To have been the intimate friend of Jesus and to have known His heart so well that He would entrust His earthly mother to me would have been humbling and amazing all at once.

Thank you so much for causing me to ponder this question. Good one!!

 
At 6:41 AM, Blogger TheNormalMiddle said...

Linda, could I put this in the carnival of beauty this week? The theme is the resurrection, and this is beautiful, as you always are :)

 
At 8:37 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

congrats to your grandkids! That must be quite an honor to go on to the nationals now! good luck to them!

 
At 6:33 PM, Blogger Susie said...

Congratulations to your grandchildren on their accomplishment. Interesting thoughts to ponder here. I truly don't have an answer for this one.
hugs!

 
At 11:38 AM, Blogger Shawna said...

CONGRATULATIONS to your grandchildren!!! What better things could they be learning? That is awesome.

I loved this post. You have given me something to think about. I don't know if there is an easy answer to that question, but I am quite sure I would NOT want to be Mary. I don't know how any mother could live through what she did. Clearly she had to have more grace and strength than anyone else in history.

 
At 11:40 AM, Blogger Shawna said...

Have you read the novellas by Francine Rivers about the women in the lineage of Jesus? They are fantastic. It is about time for me to read them again.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home