About Me

Name: Linda

Location: Texas


I am a wife, mom and grandma. I am doing what I've wanted to do all my life. I am a Christian and I love the Lord.

My Complete Profile
Contact Me


Blogrolls
Family Friendly Blogroll [-]

A Group Blog for Christian Moms

Christian Women Online
Blog Ring

Join | List | Random

Recent Posts
Pruning
Never Too Old
Thankful Thursday
In Other Words
Thankful Thursday
In This Skin
Bluebonnets!!
Sunday Afternoon Chat
Hallowed Be Thy Name
Thankful Thursday

Archives
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
August 2009


Search


Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by:



Miscellaneous
Add Snippets to your site






Subscribe with Bloglines


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported License. Site Meter

Tuesday, March 27, 2007
In Other Words
“Every time you make a choice you are turning the central part of you, the part of you that chooses, into something a little different from what it was before…either into a creature that is in harmony with God…or into one that is in a state of war with God. Each of us at each moment is progressing to the one state or the other.”
C.S. Lewis


I heard a sermon some time ago about “choice”. It stayed with me because the Pastor talked about the way our choices – in fact one choice – can change the whole course of our lives either for good or bad; or as C.S. Lewis said, in harmony with God or at war with God.

There is, of course, the biggest choice of all. God has set before us life or death. It is our choice to either to accept or reject the salvation He offers us. Once the choice is made to accept Jesus as Savior, the real “journey of choices” begins. There have been times in my life I wish the Lord had, upon salvation, transformed me into a little robot. Then He could program me to make wise choices and to become all He desired for me to be. However, He has chosen to leave the decision making to me. It is called free will, and it comes with great responsibility.

It is true He has not left me strictly on my own in this process. He has given me His Holy Spirit to empower me to do all that He has called me to do. The choice to allow the Holy Spirit to work in and through me is mine however. I can choose to listen to the still, small voice, or I can drown it out with the voice of self. It is the ordinary choices of day to day living that bring my life into harmony with God.

The other day I was praying for some truly overwhelming needs in the lives of the people I care deeply about. I thought, “Lord, how did the words suffering, and sorrow and illness and pain come into being? They came by choice” was the reply spoken gently into my heart. Sometimes these words become a part of our daily vocabulary because of the choices we’ve made, and other times through no fault of our own. Yet at the very beginning of time, a choice was made, and the perfect life God had created was changed.

The good news is that the choice did not irrevocably change everything. God, with unfathomable love, made a way back. So it is with us. We can make choices that, on the face of it, would seem to have ruined our lives forever. We believe that there is no way back. But God……in infinite love and mercy always stands ready, with open arms, to draw us back. We need only choose to go to Him for forgiveness and restoration.

I pray daily that the Lord will give me wisdom and discernment and grace to make wise choices. I fall short so many times, but He is faithful to forgive and give me a new start if I come to Him for forgiveness. The choice is mine.

For more writings on this C.S. Lewis quote go to Christine's blog.

Blessings,
 
  posted at 11:50 AM
  11 comments



11 Comments:
At 1:15 PM, Blogger Susanne said...

Great take on the quote, Linda. It always is our choice isn't it? Our God gave us free wills. I love your last paragraph. It was my sentiment also.

 
At 3:06 PM, Blogger Denise said...

Great post, enjoyed it.

 
At 4:17 PM, Blogger Cyndi said...

I used to wish the "robot" thing, too. But then our love for Him would be programmed and robotic, and and not from the heart. I can see why He wouldn't want that (and neither would I!) I loved your thoughts today, Linda. What you write always speaks to me. :)

 
At 5:17 PM, Blogger Dawn said...

Yesterday's and today's are just beautiful. You have such a gift. I was telling my husband the other day that everyone I read has such different writing styles, and all are so good. I feel inferior at times, and yet others enjoy reading my ramblings. We are unique and created just the way He wants us to be. Isn't that great??

 
At 6:48 PM, Blogger Nancy said...

A very inspirtational post and I agree that life is all about choices. Thanks for sharing.

 
At 8:03 PM, Blogger Christine said...

I know what you mean about being "programmed" to do right all the time. But that wouldn't be rewarding for God, just as having our children forced to obey isn't rewarding for us. Great post today, thanks for participating!

 
At 8:19 PM, Blogger Dawn said...

Thanks, Linda, for the encouraging words back! Isn't it amazing the friendships we've made here without ever having met IRL! I can't wait till we all get together in heaven someday - won't that be awesome??!

Love the flower garden analogy. I would hard a hard time picking one to be as well.

 
At 2:26 PM, Blogger Darlene Schacht said...

I like the choice to let the Holy Spirit move in our lives. That's a choice we make daily. Thanks.

 
At 2:50 PM, Blogger Barb said...

I've read a lot of different posts today and yesterday on this quote. I agree with Dawn - you have a lovely way with words, Linda. You did a beautiful job on this.

 
At 3:10 PM, Blogger eph2810 said...

Linda, I am so glad that He gave us the way back to Him. I am glad that I don't have to rely on my 'goodness' to spend eternity with Him...

Thank you for sharing your wonderful encouraging words with us...

Blessings to you and yours.

 
At 10:09 AM, Blogger Emmie, aka Vivian said...

You are a joy! Thanks for visiting, and for your kind comments.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home