About Me

Name: Linda

Location: Texas


I am a wife, mom and grandma. I am doing what I've wanted to do all my life. I am a Christian and I love the Lord.

My Complete Profile
Contact Me


Blogrolls
Family Friendly Blogroll [-]

A Group Blog for Christian Moms

Christian Women Online
Blog Ring

Join | List | Random

Recent Posts
Thankful Thursday
In Other Words
For Heather
Home Again
In Other Words
Catching Up
Easter Wishes
Thankful Thursday
In Other Words
I Was Wondering....

Archives
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
August 2009


Search


Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by:



Miscellaneous
Add Snippets to your site






Subscribe with Bloglines


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported License. Site Meter

Friday, April 20, 2007
Grace

This article is my submission to the blog challenge sponsered by the devotional blog team "Laced With Grace".

The challenge states, "Since our faith is based on grace, this challenge is to write a post answering this question,'How do you share the grace you receive from God on a day-to-day basis?"

I was shocked to discover, not too long ago, during a Bible Study, that I had somehow over the years limited my definition of grace to "unmerited favor". While I know that definition to be true, I had allowed myself to focus only on that facet of grace. I was forgetting that grace is also given to me to do those things I am incapable of doing in my own strength.

The first facet of grace is illustrated so beautifully in Ephesians 2:8; "For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God;" The second facet is found in II Corinthians 12:9; "And He has said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you; for power is perfected in weakness.' Most gladly, therefore, I will rather boast about my weaknesses, that the power of Christ may dwell in me."

I find I need this "dual power" of grace in my day-to-day living. As I minister to my family, I do so freely - not because of anything they have done to earn it, but because I love them. There are times when that requires me to do things I feel I just don't have the strength or wisdom to handle. That is where the second part comes in. I go to Him to ask for help, and He gives me just what I need. In my weakness He comes with grace, and I am able to do the very thing I thought impossible.

I think about this often. My children are all grown now, with children of their own. I see God's grace in their lives with such clarity. I made so many mistakes as a mother. I can still agonize over them. Yet God, with great mercy and grace, has somehow taken my feeble efforts and done something I didn't deserve. My children don't hold my mistakes against me. We have a loving, strong relationship. When people ask me how we raised such wonderful children, my answer is always - "It is the grace of God you see in their lives." His unmerited favor. He has given me so much more than I could ever deserve.

We have faced some difficult health problems in the past couple of years. I have come face-to-face with my worst nightmare. It is something I thought I would never be able to bear. I felt buried beneath the weight of it. But God..... He came with a grace I cannot fathom and somehow made it bearable. Where I thought there would never be joy again - joy has come. When I thought I would never find a place of peace and rest - the peace that passes understanding slowly pervaded my spirit. When I felt crushed beneath the weight, I felt His arms of love drawing me close. Yes, His grace is sufficient. He has given me the strength to do the things I need to do.

"Amazing Grace" has come to be such a common expression these days. When we step back and truly get just a glimpse of the grace of God - then we realize how truly amazing it is.

Blessings,
 
  posted at 10:17 AM
  17 comments



17 Comments:
At 11:26 AM, Blogger Aunt Angie said...

Your words spoke to my heart. I too am thankful that my children don't hold my many mistakes in "mommyhood" against me. I am most thankful for the saving grace of Jesus Christ and that my sins of life are covered by His precious blood! Never to be brought up again! Praise the Lord! You are a gifted writer...your words flowed straight into my life, giving encouragement! Thank you and be blessed!!!

 
At 12:22 PM, Blogger Linds said...

Haven't we all made those mistakes.... I certainly have. I just loved reading your thoughts, Linda. Beautifully said.

 
At 1:31 PM, Blogger Holly said...

by Julia Johnston
Marvelous, infinite, matchless grace,
Freely bestowed on all who believe!
You that are longing to see His face,
Will you this moment His grace receive?
I RECEIVE it, LORD!

Thank you, Linda...grace to do, grace to be, grace to give (you do that well)...
Love in Him,
Holly

 
At 3:20 PM, Blogger Tammy said...

Deep breath here...Wow. This was beautiful, Linda. Thank you SO much for sharing these wonderful words about grace. It truly ministered to me!

 
At 5:22 PM, Blogger someone else said...

Oh Linda, that was so rich. I found my heart touched deeply. What a beautiful journey through grace you have had!

 
At 7:00 PM, Blogger Barb said...

Beautiful entry, Linda. I'd like to see this one win. It's so heartfelt.

I think all us moms at some point feel like we made unforgiveable mistakes raising our children. I did. And my girls love me so much.

That truly is by the Grace of God.

 
At 7:50 PM, Blogger Sophiagurl said...

your post is beautiful and soulful. Motherhood is really hard sometimes, you have to have a heart of steel to weather some storms and a heart of gold to melt some stubborn souls. May you continue to receive the grace of God always.

 
At 8:01 PM, Blogger Nancy said...

You were a blessing to me today. I am lucky to have found such a talented lady. Blessings to you!

 
At 9:00 PM, Blogger Christina said...

This was such a thought provoking post. I am really going to think on this when my kids are all in bed tonight.

 
At 9:17 PM, Blogger Dawn said...

Beautiful, once again! "IT's grace that brought me safe thus far, and grace will lead me home." It's grace that allows you to be in your house with packed boxes without ever complaining to us! You are a blessing to so many of us.

I'm off to pack, but Kev and I finished Part VII just in time.

Have a blessed week-end!

 
At 7:45 AM, Blogger Karen Hossink said...

So good to hear from a mom "on the other side" this encouragement that the mistakes I'm making today won't scar my chldren for life, and make them wish they had a different mom!
Thanks for sharing!!!

 
At 2:34 PM, Blogger Julie said...

Linda,
Very beautifully said. I enjoyed this post very much. Your testimony is evidence of the grace of which you write!

Without God's grace, who of us could endure? Guess that's why the song is called "AMAZING Grace." Cuz it's flat-out amazing!

Blessings to you!

 
At 9:25 PM, Blogger Susie said...

Hi Linda,
Another one of your beautifully written posts and I think most of the Mom's among us are nodding our heads in agreement!
xo

 
At 5:06 AM, Blogger Beba said...

Yes grace is amazing! God bless you
Love
Beba

 
At 11:10 AM, Blogger eph2810 said...

How beautiful you have used this challenge to reflect on the grace God gives us every single day.
Thank you for sharing, Linda.

Blessings on your Sunday and always.

 
At 4:18 AM, Blogger Emmie, aka Vivian said...

And may we never get over the wonder of that grace! You are a blessing, dear one.

 
At 9:57 AM, Blogger Shawna said...

I can tell you really poured your heart into this, and I learned some things as well.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home