About Me

Name: Linda

Location: Texas


I am a wife, mom and grandma. I am doing what I've wanted to do all my life. I am a Christian and I love the Lord.

My Complete Profile
Contact Me


Blogrolls
Family Friendly Blogroll [-]

A Group Blog for Christian Moms

Christian Women Online
Blog Ring

Join | List | Random

Recent Posts
HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY
Father's Love Letter
Thankful Thursday
Is It A Girl Thing?
Tea and Converation (or coffee or diet coke)
Appointments With God
The Hurriedder I Go, The Behinder I Get!!
Bread of Life
Legacy
Reveal

Archives
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
August 2009


Search


Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by:



Miscellaneous
Add Snippets to your site






Subscribe with Bloglines


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported License. Site Meter

Thursday, February 15, 2007
PRIDE
James 4:6 states “…God is opposed to the proud, but gives grace to the humble.” It is a frightening thought that the living God works to oppose the proud. I cannot think of any sort of adequate defense against such opposition. If God hates pride so much He would work in opposition to the proud, it must be something I need to guard against.
We studied humility in our Bible Study lesson last week. It was a humbling experience for all of us. In one place the author said that “…every sin is rooted in pride”. I think it would be safe to say, then, that all of us struggle with pride.
The woman who spoke on the subject yesterday said that God is so concerned with dealing with our pride He sometimes allows difficulty in our lives in order to humble us. When we are suffering, and we cry out to Him for help – and it doesn’t come, what are we to think? Is God indifferent to our pain? Doesn’t He care that we are hurting? Surely He hears and knows, and yet it seems that heaven has gone silent.
It is in these times that I must choose how I will respond. Will I become bitter and angry and turn away from a God who seems indifferent to my suffering? Or will I submit to His sovereign authority in my life? Will I surrender what I consider my rights and trust that He will be all He has promised to be? Do I love Him enough to trust Him? He has promised that He will work all things together for good to those who trust Him. He hasn’t promised to do it my way. He is seeking a humble heart that says “Lord I trust you to do the work in my life that You know is best.”
I believe my relationship to Him is of far greater importance to God than my agenda. I think it is the greatest test we face. When we ask for something that is so needful, so urgent, more important that anything we have ever asked for – and He either says no or delays to answer at all, do we love Him enough to trust Him?
There is another aspect of humility that just hit me right between the eyes. I have had the audacity to think that I’m not proud because, after all, I am always acknowledging my weaknesses. I’m the first one to admit my faults and point out that I can’t do anything right. I’m a great confessor because, heaven knows, I fail all the time.
It turns out that even that is a form of pride. If I’m honest, I must admit that I’m proud of my lack of pride. Look at me! I am humble. It is so easy to look at the people in scripture God uses to illustrate things like pride and think, “What is wrong with them? Don’t they get it?” I find I look at the children of Israel with much more sympathy as I get older. I used to think they were just ridiculously foolish. Now I think that I am so very much like them.
The farther along I get in this journey with the Lord, the more I realize how far I have to go. I get to a point where I think I’ve arrived only to find it is only a little bend in a very long road stretching out for the length of my years. I am so thankful we have a Father who loves us enough to stick with us as we walk along, sometimes stumbling, sometimes backtracking and sometimes making great strides. I am more thankful than I can ever say that I have a Savior who has already walked this road and understands the difficulties of the journey.


Blessings,
 
  posted at 3:23 PM
  12 comments



12 Comments:
At 4:16 PM, Blogger Girl Raised in the South said...

I just recently heard that same thing, that the source of all sin is pride. This is something I've been thinking about lately; I just picked up Brokenness by Nancy Leigh DeMoss. We'll never fix outward actions til we do some work on the inside. Great thoughts - thanks for sharing them.

 
At 4:47 PM, Blogger Dawn said...

Thanks for stopping by for our little chat today! This post of yours today is very thought provoking. Last night in our devotions at choir practice we were reminded that so often when we pray for something, His answer is "Wait." The hardest thing to do!

 
At 5:48 PM, Blogger Cyndi said...

I had a Bible study teacher one time who said, "The moment you say 'I'm humble'... you aren't." LOL I heard Chip Ingram preach this morning on this very topic, then I come here and read this. Okay, Lord, I get it! LOL

Great post, Linda!

 
At 6:09 PM, Blogger Diane@Diane's Place said...

I can so relate, Linda. I have to admit that I'm prideful in ways I never even considered. Don't think God isn't working on that in my life, either!

Thank you so much for your prayers for me and for my niece and her baby. I'm feeling better emotionally and spiritually, but physically, not so much. I haven't heard anything new from my niece so I'm assuming no news is good news.

Love and hugs,

Diane

 
At 10:37 PM, Blogger Carole Burant said...

Our pride can certainly get in the way at times. This was such a lovely post to read and remind us of a few things!! Hugs xox

 
At 1:48 PM, Blogger Pamela said...

Our Pastor is always telling us to believe, that God really wants to bless us. To be blessed is to be in God's favor. So much so, that we wants us to expect it!

I too, believe that God wants us to be successful and to bless us.

It is not good to boast and brag and rub it in peoples faces, and I appreciate a humble heart.

Pride is the culprit that comes before the fall in many situations.

 
At 2:34 PM, Blogger Susie said...

Great reminder about the issue of pride and one's faith.
Your writing never ceases to amaze me.
xo

 
At 3:56 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

what a great post to remind us to step back and take a look at things and how pride can get in the way!

 
At 3:58 PM, Blogger Linds said...

Lots to ponder in this post. I need to reflect. Looking inward is not a comfortable thing to do, is it?

 
At 4:30 PM, Blogger Nancy said...

Pride, it just keeps jumping out at times when I did not expect it would. I needed to reflect on this today... thanks for the post!

 
At 8:59 PM, Blogger Werna Gail said...

So very well put, hopefully it will make us think and be honest with ourselves and God and know that only He can do the work that needs to be done in us.

 
At 10:35 AM, Blogger TheNormalMiddle said...

Pride is the source of all sin, ask me how I know. :(

I struggle greatly with pride, I'm sad to say, but it is honest.

I am offended easily, too easily, and I know that comes from deep rooted pride in areas that I must constantly lay down to the cross.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home