About Me

Name: Linda

Location: Texas


I am a wife, mom and grandma. I am doing what I've wanted to do all my life. I am a Christian and I love the Lord.

My Complete Profile
Contact Me


Blogrolls
Family Friendly Blogroll [-]

A Group Blog for Christian Moms

Christian Women Online
Blog Ring

Join | List | Random

Recent Posts
Blessed
PRIDE
HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY
Father's Love Letter
Thankful Thursday
Is It A Girl Thing?
Tea and Converation (or coffee or diet coke)
Appointments With God
The Hurriedder I Go, The Behinder I Get!!
Bread of Life

Archives
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
August 2009


Search


Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by:



Miscellaneous
Add Snippets to your site






Subscribe with Bloglines


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported License. Site Meter

Monday, February 19, 2007
Self-Destruction
Our Pastor has a wonderful gift of taking a portion of scripture and making it very understandable and practical. I just thought I would share the points from his message this past Saturday evening. They really blessed us.

“How to Get From Here to Heaven without Self-Destructing”

1. Focus on the Good
We have a choice. We can look at our circumstances and see the bad, or we can look at those same circumstances and see the good in them.

2. Think on the Good
Whatever you focus on, is what you’ll think about. Philippians 4:8

3. Talk About the Good
We speak our own destiny.

He used the story of the spies that were sent to scout out the Promised Land found in Numbers 13 and 14. The ten focused on all the bad – the people were like giants and the cities were fortified. They would never be able to take the land. However, Caleb and Joshua focused on the good: Numbers 14:8, 9 “If the Lord is pleased with us, then He will bring us into this land, and give it to us – a land which flows with milk and honey. Only do not rebel against the Lord; and do not fear the people of the land, for they shall be our prey. Their protection has been removed from them, and the Lord is with us’ do not fear them.”

The Children of Israel chose to focus on the bad, and in essence they spoke their own destiny. They said they would perish if they tried to take the land. They cried and complained and refused to listen to the good report. Then God said, “How long shall I bear with this evil congregation who are grumbling against me? I have heard the complaints of the sons of Israel, which they are making against Me. Say to them ‘As I live,’ says the Lord, ‘just as you have spoken in my hearing, so I will surely do to you.”
Numbers 14: 27, 28 And so they were condemned to wander in the wilderness and not one of them over the age of twenty would live to see the promised land.
I know there are times in life when we are faced with situations that make it nearly impossible to find anything good to focus on. I have been there too. When I asked God how I could even pray in such a situation, the answer came back, “Praise”. I did that, and there was such a sense of peace. I think praising God is also a good way to focus on the good. It takes our eyes off of our circumstances and focuses them on the One who controls all things and who loves us unconditionally. As we remember who He is and what He has promised our spirits are lifted.

Blessings,
 
  posted at 3:28 PM
  9 comments



9 Comments:
At 5:05 PM, Blogger Carole Burant said...

You are so right, when things look bleak all we need to do is remember Him and realize that there IS someone who loves us unconditionaly. xox

 
At 7:01 PM, Blogger someone else said...

Thank you. I needed to read this.

 
At 7:07 PM, Blogger Susie said...

Great post Linda! I'm glad you have such a practical preaching pastor that reaches out to a society who needs truth that never changes.

 
At 7:51 PM, Blogger Werna Gail said...

Praise ....really does change a situation, if our mouth is full of praise not much else can come out.
Great post Linda.

 
At 9:36 PM, Blogger Tammy said...

Wonderful, Linda! Something I cannot hear enough of!
Blessings!

 
At 11:43 PM, Blogger Susie said...

Those three points are excellent guidlines for all of us!
Thank you for this good reminder!
:)

 
At 9:50 AM, Blogger Diane Viere said...

What a gift! A pastor who brings the ever-living, breathing, applicable word to his congregants....and you can bring it to us!

It is vital...that we look up when things are looking down!

Diane

 
At 10:28 AM, Blogger Lori said...

Thank you for sharing you Pastor's sermon with us.

 
At 4:22 PM, Blogger Christina said...

Great points. Thanks for sharing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home