About Me

Name: Linda

Location: Texas


I am a wife, mom and grandma. I am doing what I've wanted to do all my life. I am a Christian and I love the Lord.

My Complete Profile
Contact Me


Blogrolls
Family Friendly Blogroll [-]

A Group Blog for Christian Moms

Christian Women Online
Blog Ring

Join | List | Random

Recent Posts
Self-Destruction
Blessed
PRIDE
HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY
Father's Love Letter
Thankful Thursday
Is It A Girl Thing?
Tea and Converation (or coffee or diet coke)
Appointments With God
The Hurriedder I Go, The Behinder I Get!!

Archives
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
August 2009


Search


Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by:



Miscellaneous
Add Snippets to your site






Subscribe with Bloglines


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported License. Site Meter

Tuesday, February 20, 2007
In Other Words



Laurel Wreath is hosting "In Other Words" today. Be sure to go and read all the other posts on this quote by Madame Guyon.
Not too long ago I wrote about a chorus that we sing in our church that speaks to my heart every time we sing it. One of the lines from that chorus is "Why do we just touch the surface of His power and infinite love?" I've thought about that so often lately. I long to go deeper, to know Him more - and yet so often I am just skimming the surface of all that He is.
As I read this quote, I realized the same is true as I read His word. So often it is so familiar I just skim over it. Perhaps I am looking for the answer I want to find. Or perhaps I'm just needing to get a certain amount read to cover the reading for that day. Every once in a while, though, something pierces my heart, and I stop to read it again. It begins to minister to me in a way I hadn't even thought I needed, but He knew. It becomes the sweet honey my soul was longing for.
If the bees never stopped to penetrate deep withing the flower to extract the treasure it held, it would soon become weak for lack of nourishment. It would also affect the other members of the hive. Soon all of them would suffer the same fate. So it is with me. If I don't take the time to dig deep into the word, to penetrate to the heart of what the Father is saying to me, my spirit will become weak. It will also affect those around me - the very ones I want to minister to and bless.
I am convicted that I am far too often like a busy little bee flying among an abundant source of nourishment and only skimming the surface. I need to stop my flight and penetrate deep into the word - to taste and see that the Lord is good.
Blessings,
 
  posted at 11:37 AM
  9 comments



9 Comments:
At 1:58 PM, Blogger Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

Great post. I like the "lack of nourishment" part...about the bee. That is so true of us - if we aren't nourished by the Word, we will get weak. We need God's sustinance.

 
At 3:41 PM, Blogger Lori said...

And you know what you can read a verse you have read all your life, and suddenly it means something more, something deeper. And you wonder "why did I not get it last time?" It is because God just now decided to open your eye at that particular moment.

This is beautiful, thank you for participating.

 
At 4:38 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

You always have such insightful posts!

 
At 5:27 PM, Blogger Carole Burant said...

Beautiful words Linda, that truly do soothe the soul. I think without our beliefs, we'd be just an empty shell. Hugs xox

 
At 9:38 PM, Blogger Nancy said...

So true, and I have found the same thing with scripture from the Bible. It speaks to me differently at times and meets my needs according to what is going on in my life. God is good!

 
At 8:19 AM, Blogger Dawn said...

Thank you for your comment yesterday - I could not believe how that devotional by Max Lucado fit right into what happened with little Feisty. I agree with you today as well - I am guilty of skimming!

 
At 3:14 PM, Blogger Shawna said...

Hi, Linda :0)
I just wanted to let you know that I was thinking about you and thanked God for you & your prayers this morning as I drove to the dr.

I'll be back when I have more time to catch up on your posts. Hope you are having a great day!

 
At 4:21 PM, Blogger Christina said...

I agree. I get much more out of reading His word when I get deep into it and not just the surface.

 
At 7:01 PM, Blogger Cyndi said...

Amen, Linda. I think so often my spiritual life can be a mile wide and an inch deep. How I want to be nourished! Great post, so well-written. Thank you for your words today.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home