About Me

Name: Linda

Location: Texas


I am a wife, mom and grandma. I am doing what I've wanted to do all my life. I am a Christian and I love the Lord.

My Complete Profile
Contact Me


Blogrolls
Family Friendly Blogroll [-]

A Group Blog for Christian Moms

Christian Women Online
Blog Ring

Join | List | Random

Recent Posts
I Want to be a Who
Catching Up
Christmas Memories
Wisdom from Ruth Bell Graham
Cookie Bar Recipe
Christmas Meme
Love in Action
Moving Day
The Christmas Story
Just a Little Note

Archives
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
August 2009


Search


Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by:



Miscellaneous
Add Snippets to your site






Subscribe with Bloglines


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported License. Site Meter

Sunday, December 17, 2006
Unto Us A Son Is Given

I was listening to Christmas music on the radio yesterday as I was packing. One of my favorite parts of Handel’s “Messiah” came on: “For unto us a Son is born; unto us, a Son is given. And His name shall be called, Wonderful Counselor, the Mighty God, the Everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace….” I can hardly listen to it without crying. The announcement that He has come; the Son of God has arrived!

I started thinking about the excitement we feel at the birth of a new baby. When our little ones are born, we cannot wait to tell everyone. We are so taken with this precious new life; we want everyone to share our joy. We are so proud. We’re just sure there has never been a more perfect baby. We make phone calls; send out announcements and share pictures with anyone “fortunate” enough to cross our path.

I thought about how the Father must have felt at the birth of His Son, and I wondered at His restraint. Oh sure, there were angels praising God with glorious songs, and there was a special star in the East waiting to guide the seekers to the Savior. But just think of the celebration there could have been. How He must have wanted to shout to the world, “This is My Son; My Beloved Son. He has come because He loves you. He is perfect and holy and I love Him with all my heart. The prophecy has been fulfilled. Messiah is here.” He could have shouted the news in a voice the whole world would have heard. He could have caused the heavens to explode with glorious celebration. He could have rocked the very foundation of the world. Instead this holy baby came quietly and humbly into a world that was so busy and preoccupied hardly anyone noticed.

It will not be so the next time He comes. The whole world will see this coming. Rev. 1:7; “Behold, He is coming with the clouds, and every eye will see Him …” Matt. 24: 30 – 31 “…they will see the Son of Man coming on the clouds of the sky with power and great glory. And He will send forth His angels with a great trumpet and they will gather together His elect from the four winds, from one end of the sky to the other.” What a glorious coming that will be.

Until that day comes; it is our privilege to spread the word. We must tell others the glorious news. “Unto us a Son is given!”

Christmas Blessings,
Linda
 
  posted at 10:40 AM
  14 comments



14 Comments:
At 12:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Linda,
You truly have a wonderful gift for writing. I loved every line of this post, and I can definitely see it as a devotional or as a story in a Christian magazine. Thank you for sharing your words.

 
At 2:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hearing the Messiah is one of my favorite things about Christmas. I get chill bumps everytime. This was really good Linda.

 
At 4:13 PM, Blogger Susie said...

The first Susie that commented is very correct, and I will just echo her in saying you have an amazing gift for writing. You should consider putting your writing talents out there in some sort of published form.
:)

 
At 4:32 PM, Blogger Heather said...

Soon, Lord.

 
At 6:46 PM, Blogger Dawn said...

I can hardly wait! Even so, Lord Jesus, Come!!

Thanks for stopping by and regarding your comment, if I had stuck it out with teaching, I could be home retired by now. But I didn't, and I had my time at home when the kids were little. I hope it's not much longer! Especially the way things are going at work - I'm starting to count down to retirement. I've really enjoyed this week and kind of dread tomorrow with all the stuff I'll have to accomplish in one week - punishment for taking much needed and well earned time off. There never seems to be a "right" time.

 
At 9:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amen! What a wonderful post to glorify our Lord and Savior.

 
At 9:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Linda,
Thanks so much for the visit to my blog! I've been reading your site and have to say... "Welcome to my Blogroll". I enjoy your insight and your writings! I'll be stopping by on a regular basis!

Have a merry Christmas and I'll be praying about the sale of your home!
What a bummer to have to deal with all the bureacracy red tape!!

 
At 9:41 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

what a powerful post this is! I had never thought about it this way - that He could have caused much more celebration, but instead, as you said, it was humble and quiet. Interesting perspective!

 
At 8:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amen and amen. The angels bursting forth in song at the first Advent was just a foretaste of the "Hallelujah Chorus" to come at the Second Advent. May He not tarry...

 
At 12:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've made my preparations and I'm ready to go. Now I just wish all my lost family and friends would get ready, too.

But soon, Lord Jesus, soon....

 
At 9:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Linda,
I tagged you for a new meme if you get a chance to stop over. Have fun!

 
At 10:11 AM, Blogger Pamela said...

I can only imagine what a glorious day that will be, spread the word we must so we all can rejoice one day!

Love this uplifting and joyful post Linda! Hope all is going well and you are enjoying your day...pace yourself with all that packing!

 
At 4:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting thoughts there! I had never thought of it that way before. You have also inspired me to go and put my Messiah CD on - love singing along!

 
At 9:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful. I can't imagine the excitement God & Mary & Joseph felt.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home