About Me

Name: Linda

Location: Texas


I am a wife, mom and grandma. I am doing what I've wanted to do all my life. I am a Christian and I love the Lord.

My Complete Profile
Contact Me


Blogrolls
Family Friendly Blogroll [-]

A Group Blog for Christian Moms

Christian Women Online
Blog Ring

Join | List | Random

Recent Posts
Cookie Bar Recipe
Christmas Meme
Love in Action
Moving Day
The Christmas Story
Just a Little Note
Tuesday Trivia
The Hutch
Psalm 100
Happy Thanksgiving

Archives
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
August 2009


Search


Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by:



Miscellaneous
Add Snippets to your site






Subscribe with Bloglines


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported License. Site Meter

Wednesday, December 06, 2006
Wisdom from Ruth Bell Graham
It seems that so many of us are feeling overwhelmed by the “busyness” of the season – too much to do and too little time. We feel tired and guilty and as though somehow we’re missing the true meaning of Christmas.

Our “Decision” magazine arrived the other day. I always read the back page first because that is where “especially For You” from Ruth Bell Graham is. I love her writings and deeply admire her life. This month’s devotional seemed especially appropriate, and I wanted to share it with you.

Feeling Trapped?


“The man, asleep in the trash bin, was awakened with a jolt. He had been scooped up with the trash by a 21-ton garbage truck. Knocked unconscious, he came to – upside-down and squeezed into an area where a human being shouldn’t fit.

The truck started again and picked up two more loads of trash. When the driver stopped for a third load, he heard some hollering. Getting, out, he looked around. The voice sounded far away, and he could see no one. So he started the compactor. That’s when he heard a banging inside the truck. Thinking something mechanical was wrong, he stopped the cylinders.

The, he later reported, he ‘heard a voice saying he sure would like to get out of wherever he was.’ Fortunately the driver saw to it that the man was freed.

That is the way I have felt at times: too much to do, too far to go, and not enough time or strength to do it all, so that I ‘sure would like to get out of wherever I am.’

Someone has said, ‘God does not promise strength for uncommanded work.’ Perhaps you’re attempting things He hasn’t commanded. When I began to feel compacted and cried for help, God showed me how my proprieties had gotten distorted. He was to come first. Then I realized that I needed to be liberated from wherever I was. I needed to get off of boards and committees, write no more books or articles for the time being and accept fewer outside responsibilities.

This was God’s answer for me. He has a solution for you as well.”

I’m going to try to get my priorities right. I have so much to do this season, but I don’t want Jesus to get relegated to the bottom of my to-do list. Far too often it’s – do all these things first and then if there’s time – Jesus. I want to have a grateful heart at all times, but especially during the Christmas season. I want to spend time with the One who has given me all I could ever ask for and so much more. When I give gifts, I want to give with an awareness of the gift that He has given me. I want my attitude of heart to be like those of the people in “Whoville”. If all the trappings are gone, I want Christmas to come anyway – and come more gloriously than it ever has.

Christmas Blessings,
Linda
 
  posted at 9:26 PM
  6 comments



6 Comments:
At 10:12 PM, Blogger Susie said...

Thank you for sharing this wonderful timely message Linda!
Lately I've felt the hurrier I go the behinder I get :)

 
At 9:28 AM, Blogger rena said...

Great post and wonder perspective on "giving gifts in remembrance of the One who gave the greatest gift to me"...love that! Amen

 
At 11:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have always appreciated the wisdom of the Graham family. You simply must read Billy's latest book THE JOURNEY if you haven't. I'm partial to it for the theme, but it is EXCELLENT.

 
At 3:39 PM, Blogger someone else said...

Such a good reminder to us all to slow down and focus on what Christmas is really all about. Thanks for sharing these thoughts.

 
At 4:53 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

thanks so much for sharing this - I think it came at a great time!

 
At 1:23 PM, Blogger Pamela said...

Linda, I don't know how I missed this post. Sometimes, I think when I check to see if you have posted or not...the new post doesn't advance or show up for me. My daughter is the one that discovered this. She would ask if I had read her post and I would say, "what post" and then she would tell me to hit the reload button and sure enough. :)

I love the hustle bustle of this joyous and blessed season. I love people and love shopping and just am overjoyed by the anticipation of seeing their expression of glee as we all gather to celebrate Jesus' birth. If I miss a gift or something doesn't go right I know they will understand or be just as thrilled with a little note. I have no car and don't want to bother anyone. My hubby is working 12 hour days and will be lucky to get 2 days off this month. Everything will be alright. I trust the Lord will help me power shop if need be. It is just so easy to get stressed out and I just gentle remind myself that God is always with me sitting right here beside me and so there's no reason to feel guilty or worry, with God right here with me! lol It is such a good reminder to slow down, and take it all in.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home