About Me

Name: Linda

Location: Texas


I am a wife, mom and grandma. I am doing what I've wanted to do all my life. I am a Christian and I love the Lord.

My Complete Profile
Contact Me


Blogrolls
Family Friendly Blogroll [-]

A Group Blog for Christian Moms

Christian Women Online
Blog Ring

Join | List | Random

Recent Posts
Moving Day
The Christmas Story
Just a Little Note
Tuesday Trivia
The Hutch
Psalm 100
Happy Thanksgiving
Friends
I Have The List!
It's Official - I'm Losing My Mind

Archives
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
August 2009


Search


Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by:



Miscellaneous
Add Snippets to your site






Subscribe with Bloglines


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported License. Site Meter

Sunday, December 03, 2006
Love in Action

To borrow a phrase from my sweet blogging friend Pamela, it is "just the two of us" here in our house again. My parents are safely moved into their cute little house. They are thoroughly exhausted, but very happy with the way everything has worked out. My mom is excited about making this house their home. Once she gets all her beautiful quilts and pictures and antiques in place, it will be a warm, inviting home. She has a gift for hospitality and a way of making a house into a real home. My Dad says he's just ready to "follow orders". He is very handy and talented too - so between them they will do wonders.

The move went so smoothly. Thank You Lord!! My son pastors a small church in the town where my parents' new house is located. He was sent there from the "mother church" in our closest large city to plant a new church. That is the main thrust of their church organization - The Potter's House. They plant new churches all around the world (when my son and daughter-in-love were sent out, I was praying it wouldn't be to Africa!). They begin by going door-to-door and doing street preaching. They open their home for Bible Study. They go into the poorer neighborhoods and do outdoor concerts to draw people out to hear the word. As a result, many of the people who begin coming to their church are from backgrounds very unlike their own. Some have come from situations we only read about or hear about on the news. They are drawn to the Savior, and when they recieve Him into their hearts, the change is so dramatic. My son says he really is teaching them things we just take for granted but that they have never heard. Even the familiar Bible stories are foreign to many of them. It is exhausting, challenging, rewarding ministry.

On saturday morning our son arrived with six young men from his church who had given up their saturday to come help us move my parents. A couple of years ago my husband did a huge amount of work for one of the larger churches in their community, and they have never forgotten. They worked hard all day long - laughing and sharing and just enjoying each others' company. They made two trips back and forth so that they could move everything for my Mom and Dad. I can't adequately put into words what it was like. They were so eager to serve. It was all done with such a loving attitude. They did it with no expectation of anything in return. A couple of these young men come from backgrounds that are just heartbreaking. They are so in love with the Jesus that broke the chains that held them captive it just pours out of them.

It was a wonderful, exhausting, uplifting day. When I look at those young men, I feel ashamed for the way I have, in the past, taken my salvation so for granted. I have been far too casual, holding the precious gift too lightly. They remind me of Who He is and what He has done for me. My past isn't the same as theirs, but their sin is no greater than mine. I want my life to shine with His love just the way theirs does.

Have a blessed sunday,
Linda
 
  posted at 1:47 PM
  16 comments



16 Comments:
At 3:06 PM, Blogger Pamela said...

Your life does shine for all of us Linda...you are a blessing in my life.

I love how your heart is so open and receptive to the gifts these young men can offer. It is glorious to see how God has done wonders in their lives.

We all have so much to offer each other in different ways. That is what makes us so unique and what makes the world go round. God has blessed us with so many talents. We need to stay linked and continue to reach out and help a neighbor when we can.

I am so glad you got your sweet parents moved in and it will be wonderful when your Mom situates everything to her liking and makes it theirs! :)

 
At 4:39 PM, Blogger Susie said...

Wasn't that a blessing that those six young strong men appeared to help you with the move!
So glad your parents are now safely situated and can begin to settle comfortably in.
Hope you can now find just a bit of time to relax too!
((hugs))

 
At 5:30 PM, Blogger Heather said...

Oh how blessed you are. Praise the Lord for His faithfulness. What an awesome God!

 
At 6:03 PM, Blogger Susie said...

What a beautiful post to read. You must be so proud of your son and his ministry. I love hearing stories like this. I am so glad your parents are all moved in and ready to make their house a home.

 
At 7:19 PM, Blogger Carole Burant said...

I'm so glad to hear that all went so smoothly...how wonderful of these young men to give up their Saturday to help out like that:-) It's also wonderful that they've learned the word of God and have changed their lives around..that's so very heartwarming to hear! xox

 
At 8:40 PM, Blogger Barb said...

I know you're relieved it all went so well, Linda, and it sounds like they are going to be very happy in their new home. I know this transition was difficult for all of you but look how nicely it's working out. And how blessed you all are with those six young men. I'm sure that had a lot to do with it all going so well.

I agree with Sue - maybe you can rest a bit now that this move has been accomplished.

 
At 9:03 PM, Blogger Nancy said...

I know you are proud of your son and his ministry. What a blessing... thanks for sharing.

 
At 9:07 PM, Blogger Donnetta said...

What beautiful words you shared about those men. How true. It is so easy to take our salvation for granted. It is good to be reminded of the reality of it all.

Glad to hear the move went smoothly!!

 
At 10:31 PM, Blogger Dawn said...

Starting over in their 80s - what brave people your parents are! My mom has that knack of making home out of anyplace they've lived - she's a pastor's wife, but I always feel at home wherever they have landed.

 
At 8:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This sounds wonderful! I am so glad the move went well. How exciting for your parents to be able to go to your son's church. How exciting to have a Pastor for a son. Good Job raising him mom.

 
At 4:04 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

So glad to hear everything went well with the move and now your mom is ready to make that house her home!

 
At 5:13 PM, Blogger Dawn said...

Take time to do the meme - it will be a blessing to you as you reflect on your answers. And it doesn't take long!

I am so glad you're in a choir also. It is such a blessing to me and perks me up every Wednesday night after I've been with the kiddoes all day and am dog tired!

I was going to e-mail you, but don't have the address handy.

 
At 6:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh I am so glad things went smoothly. And I am so happy to hear about your extra help. Your Mom will be busy all next year =)

 
At 7:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Linda, your light does shine here at your blog for sure!

 
At 7:37 PM, Blogger Heidi said...

Thank you for your presence at my blog. I've enjoyed getting to know you a bit here at your site. You are a true encourager.

Blessings.

 
At 10:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so glad that the move went smoothly and it is over. What a bunch of nice young men to do this. I really think the world is made up of people like this, but for some reason the media wants to portray only the dark side.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home