About Me

Name: Linda

Location: Texas


I am a wife, mom and grandma. I am doing what I've wanted to do all my life. I am a Christian and I love the Lord.

My Complete Profile
Contact Me


Blogrolls
Family Friendly Blogroll [-]

A Group Blog for Christian Moms

Christian Women Online
Blog Ring

Join | List | Random

Recent Posts
Wisdom from Ruth Bell Graham
Cookie Bar Recipe
Christmas Meme
Love in Action
Moving Day
The Christmas Story
Just a Little Note
Tuesday Trivia
The Hutch
Psalm 100

Archives
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
August 2009


Search


Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by:



Miscellaneous
Add Snippets to your site






Subscribe with Bloglines


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported License. Site Meter

Thursday, December 07, 2006
Christmas Memories
There is a beautiful Quiet Corner where we have been invited to come and share our Christmas memories. It is warm and cozy and there is lovely Christmas music playing. You must come and visit.

I have so many special Christmas memories - of my own childhood and that of my children. I keep thinking about one from when I was just a little girl, so I think that's the one I'm meant to share.

We had a girls' group in our church when I was growing up, started by an older woman. She was originally from Canada where Christian Girls in Training originated (better known to us a C.G.I.T.). Every girl in the church eagerly looked forward to the day she was old enough to join. I was barely eight my first year in C.G.I.T. It was everything I had anticipated. We had Bible stories and memory work and learned so many crafts. We went camping in the summer. It was just great!! However, the "premier" event was the Christmas candlelight program the group presented every year. I could hardly wait to be a part of it.

The program began with all the girls marching into the sanctuary with lighted candles. The tallest girls were at the front of the line and the smallest at the end. I was the very last one. I will never forget the feeling of walking into that darkened sanctuary. There was beautiful Christmas music playing as we slowly marched up the center aisle - lighting the decorated church with the warm glow of our candles. Our families watched with glistening eyes.

I had a special part in the program that year - along with a few of the other little girls. We did the hand motions to the song "There's A Song In The Air". Our leader (Aunt Ethel) played the piano while her daughter sang in a lovely soprano voice. It was just magical to me. It was Christmas - the real Christmas. It felt like the very presence of God filled that small church.

I think it a wonder that although I know I had the usual Christmas full of presents and cookies and shopping and parties - this is the memory that is special to me. I believe it is so for our children as well. We have the most precious gift in the world to give them for Christmas, and they receive it with open hearts. We worry they will be disappointed if they don't get exactly what they want. I wonder.... Perhaps they would surprise us.

Blessed Christmas,
Linda
 
  posted at 3:29 PM
  17 comments



17 Comments:
At 4:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

They always surprise us don't they? I am here by way of The Quiet Corner...I love the candlelight services that we enjoy at our church..they do feel magical.

 
At 4:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What very special Christmas memories, Linda. I have some special memories, too, of candlelight services and meaningful hymns...They are all part of my Christmas memories.

And I think you're right...Our children receive and understand more about the true meaning of Christmas than our jaded adult hearts can believe.

Merry Christmas, Linda. :-)

 
At 5:58 PM, Blogger Pamela said...

Oh what sweet childhood memories you share...through the eyes of a child.

Your family must have just bursted with delight as you were the last little girl enter the Sanctuary in the line! How sweet and endearing it is that these are your cherished memories from childhood. There is nothing more exhilarating or passionate than feeling the presence of our dear Lord while the beautiful music fills the church, surrounded by your cherished loved ones.

 
At 7:19 PM, Blogger Heather said...

That is a wonderful memory. These are all so lovely.

 
At 8:27 PM, Blogger someone else said...

Oh, what a sweet memory. I can just imagine all the little girls in the candlelight.

 
At 12:28 AM, Blogger Barb said...

What a beautiful memory. I felt like I was there in that darkened sanctuary. I'm so glad MomRN2 thought to do this. I love reading all the wonderful things people are posting.

 
At 12:30 AM, Blogger Donnetta said...

What a beautiful memory! I can just picture the church with the music and the lights... Beautiful!

I think you're right. I think our children and their memories will surprise us!

Thanks for participating and sharing such a magical Christmas memory!!

 
At 4:52 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

what a beautiful Christmas memory you shared!

 
At 5:08 PM, Blogger Carole Burant said...

Loved reading about your special Christmas memories, Linda! I often miss the feeling I had as a child, when Christmas was approaching...I still love Christmas but it's just not the same as when we were children.

 
At 10:06 PM, Blogger Barbara H. said...

What a sweet, precious memory! And what a way to transition to being an older girl with that sense of responsibility and joy in being a part of the program.

Barbara H. @ Stray Thoughts

 
At 1:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This sounds beautiful. I love candelight services, but It must truly be awesome to watch the children participate in this type of service.

Thanks for the nice things you said on my blog, I really appreciate it.

 
At 7:41 AM, Blogger Susie said...

I love that this is your favorite memory. It was shared so beautifully!

 
At 9:36 PM, Blogger Nancy said...

I love your special Christmas memory... the candlelight service sounds so warm and inviting.

 
At 11:11 PM, Blogger Dawn said...

This is really special! I love all of these memories. I finally got my memories/ornaments post written and up.

 
At 8:42 AM, Blogger Erin said...

What a precious memory. How sweet. There is something about candlelight!! And, you are right in a few months they won't even remember what they got for Christmas, but Jesus is the gift that is never forgotten and always treasured for a lifetime!!

 
At 3:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, Linda. Saw you on Lisa's blog and wanted to meet another Christian Texas grandmother! You have a lovely blog.

 
At 8:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, Linda. Saw you on Lisa's blog and wanted to meet another Christian Texas grandmother! You have a lovely blog.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home