About Me

Name: Linda

Location: Texas


I am a wife, mom and grandma. I am doing what I've wanted to do all my life. I am a Christian and I love the Lord.

My Complete Profile
Contact Me


Blogrolls
Family Friendly Blogroll [-]

A Group Blog for Christian Moms

Christian Women Online
Blog Ring

Join | List | Random

Recent Posts
Christmas Memories
Wisdom from Ruth Bell Graham
Cookie Bar Recipe
Christmas Meme
Love in Action
Moving Day
The Christmas Story
Just a Little Note
Tuesday Trivia
The Hutch

Archives
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
August 2009


Search


Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by:



Miscellaneous
Add Snippets to your site






Subscribe with Bloglines


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported License. Site Meter

Sunday, December 10, 2006
Catching Up


It has been quite busy for us the past couple of days. I actually didn’t even turn on my computer all day yesterday!! I was tempted, but I was just too weary last night when we got home from church. So I made a cup of tea and continued my Fall Reading. The time is getting short, and I still have one and a half books (big books) to read.

Friday was the famous annual Bingo Christmas Party. Some of my very best friends get together every Christmas at my friend Mary’s house. We were all in small group Bible Study together years ago. Mary invited us to her house for a Christmas Party so that we wouldn’t lose touch over the holiday break. We enjoyed it so much we continued it every year. It is always at Mary’s (her request), and we always have the same menu. She makes the best pasta chicken salad we’ve ever had. She also serves fresh fruit, rolls and scrumptious deserts. She also makes a special punch. After we eat, we play Bingo. I don’t know where Mary first played this, but she is also the one who started this tradition.

Every year, after Christmas, when the stores have their big sales, she and her two daughters go shopping. They buy some of the neatest things at bargain prices. She then stores them away until our party. When we arrive at her house, all the gifts are on display – so we all get to have a peek at them before we begin the Big Game. We choose (very carefully – because this is very serious business) our bingo card, take a pile of red and green M&Ms (we use them as markers – but we tend to nibble on them as well while we’re playing) and the game begins. Mary calls out the letters and numbers – and the first one to get “bingo” gets to choose one of the prizes. This year some of the prizes were a Nativity Set, Christmas Pillows, a tea pot, candle holders, bowls, Christmas place mats, and a musical porcelain angel. We play until everyone wins a game.

In previous years I have not been too skillful – but this year I won first!!! Yippee!!! The difficult part is deciding on which prize you want to take. We all tend to worry that we will pick something someone else had their heart set on. It’s such fun. I picked the porcelain angel. She is so pretty and plays “Joy to the World”. She is now sitting gracefully on my piano.

Once everyone has won a prize we go into the living room, and Mary opens the gifts we have brought her. Then over one last cup of tea we just talk. For some of us, it is the only time we have a chance to see each other for a real visit all year. We get caught up on all the good things and all the difficult things. We sometimes pray together. It is just a very special time. These women are like sisters to me. God is so very good. He places people in our lives that flesh out His tender heart toward us. I am so very blessed.

Saturday and today our church had its Christmas Program. It was wonderful. My husband and I sing in the choir. This is our second year, and it just gets better and better. I truly think we receive more of a blessing than the people who come to watch.

We have three services, Saturday evening and two on Sunday morning. We decided to sing all three. The music was so beautiful. There was the adult choir, the children’s choir, the orchestra and a dance team (which in my dreams I’m a part of – they are so elegant and lovely). The miraculous story of Christmas set to music filled the church. God truly inhabits the praises of His people, and we felt that the whole time.

And so I am home for good now (well for today anyway) and anxious to get back in touch with everyone. I will try to read everything I’ve missed. You are a very special part of my life.

Blessed Sunday,
Linda
 
  posted at 4:07 PM
  20 comments



20 Comments:
At 5:16 PM, Blogger Susie said...

Linda,
This post was just filled with true holiday spirit! What a blessing Mary is to continue such a lovely tradition that sounds like a wonderful time. We truly need to work on friendship to keep it fresh! The bingo just sounds like fun fun fun!
Christmas music is one of the special joys of this season! How wonderful that you share your voices in song!
((hugs))

 
At 5:24 PM, Blogger someone else said...

The Bingo party sounds so much fun. I'm afraid I'd never win because I would eat so many of my M&Ms that I wouldn't have enough to make a Bingo!

Don't you just love Christmas music? There never seems to be a shortage of wonderful arrangements!

 
At 10:28 PM, Blogger Dawn said...

That sound slike such a fun group of ladies and a great tradition.

We had our children's play this morning and our cantata tonight. What a great day. This cantata was one of the best we've ever done - so beautiful. We had friends over after church for pie and just relaxed and visited - a great week-end.

 
At 6:59 AM, Blogger Susie said...

What a great post! I loved hearing about all the wonderful Christmas gatherings. Your hostess for the bingo party is so creative. I may want to borrow her idea for the future. Sounds like you are a very blessed lady this holiday season.

 
At 8:17 AM, Blogger Heather said...

This is so lovely. I had something else to say but the kids just came down the steps and I have comepltely forgotten. I will try again later. :)

 
At 1:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a fabulous post of Christmas cheer! You can just feel the hugs all around for everyone here!

The Bingo party sounds so fun. I can't wait to see all my family. Tomorrow night we have our church women's Christmas party and it is always so much fun.

Thanks for a cheery read!

 
At 2:31 PM, Blogger Susanne said...

Congratulations on winning the angel. It sounded like fun!

 
At 2:37 PM, Blogger Carole Burant said...

Hi Linda:-) You certainly have been busy but you don't mind that kind of "busy"!! hehe That bingo party sounds like such fun and it's wonderful that Mary has continued the tradition year after year! How very special also that you and your husband have been singing in the choir...there is nothing more uplifting than the voices of the choir singing a song of the season! Hugs xoxo

 
At 5:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

When my kids are a little older I'd like to sing in the choir again. I miss that....

Sounds like you had a lovely weekend!

 
At 9:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Linda, I am reading your blog for the first time and find it very inspiring. The bingo party sounds like so much fun and what a generous and creative hostess.My blog is new and a work in progress so I can use some prayer. Be blessed and let us all remember
JESUS IS THE REASON FOR THE SEASON
Gail

 
At 9:33 PM, Blogger Pamela said...

What great fun! Love the idea of playing Bingo with the Christmas colored M&M's...too cute and you get to eat them while you play! hehe!

I can see how much fun it would be to select your prize. How do you know to bring a gift for her...or are you bringing hostess gifts! How wonderful!

 
At 5:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! You had so much wonderful things to post about. I am glad I took the time to visit you this morning.

blessings,

Lori

 
At 2:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am one of those people that really likes the game of Bingo and your party sounds like an awesome tradition and a whole lot of fun. Mary must be very organized to be able to pull this off with all these wonderful gifts. I don't know if I could keep the presents a secret for that long. I am going to suggest this to some of my friends. And I won't forget to use M&M's as bingo markers.

 
At 2:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, Linda. Saw you on Lisa's blog and wanted to meet another Christian Texas grandmother! You have a lovely blog.

 
At 2:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, Linda. Saw you on Lisa's blog and wanted to meet another Christian Texas grandmother! You have a lovely blog.

 
At 2:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, Linda. Saw you on Lisa's blog and wanted to meet another Christian Texas grandmother! You have a lovely blog.

 
At 2:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, Linda. Saw you on Lisa's blog and wanted to meet another Christian Texas grandmother! You have a lovely blog.

 
At 2:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, Linda. Saw you on Lisa's blog and wanted to meet another Christian Texas grandmother! You have a lovely blog.

 
At 2:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, Linda. Saw you on Lisa's blog and wanted to meet another Christian Texas grandmother! You have a lovely blog.

 
At 3:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, Linda. Saw you on Lisa's blog and wanted to meet another Christian Texas grandmother! You have a lovely blog.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home