About Me

Name: Linda

Location: Texas


I am a wife, mom and grandma. I am doing what I've wanted to do all my life. I am a Christian and I love the Lord.

My Complete Profile
Contact Me


Blogrolls
Family Friendly Blogroll [-]

A Group Blog for Christian Moms

Christian Women Online
Blog Ring

Join | List | Random

Recent Posts
Catching Up
Christmas Memories
Wisdom from Ruth Bell Graham
Cookie Bar Recipe
Christmas Meme
Love in Action
Moving Day
The Christmas Story
Just a Little Note
Tuesday Trivia

Archives
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
August 2009


Search


Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by:



Miscellaneous
Add Snippets to your site






Subscribe with Bloglines


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported License. Site Meter

Tuesday, December 12, 2006
I Want to be a Who

I just finished watching "How the Grinch Stole Christmas". It is my second favorite Christmas Program (A Charlie Brown Christmas being my favorite). I always get a bit choked up when all the Whos start singing in the end - even though "Christmas" had been bagged by the Grinch. His realization that Christmas doesn't come from a store just warms my heart.

I got to thinking about our situation this Christmas. The Grinch hasn't stolen our Christmas, but "the move" has certainly stolen all the usual trappings. There is no beautifully decorated tree in its usual spot in the living room. There are no decorations throughout the house. There is no wreath hanging on the post of the front porch and no red ribbons and greenery decorating the railing. Our shopping has been very limited. Instead of cookie tins full of dozens of different Christmas cookies out on the sun porch, there are stacks of packed cardboard boxes. The house looks rather stark and cold - with the pictures packed away and my knick-knacks all boxed up.

I am very much a drama queen (more of an inward, imaginative sort of drama queen) - and my feelings tend to hold court when I should be focusing more on faith instead. I love the "feelings" of Christmas. I think I was more disappointed than my children when they had finally outgrown Santa Claus. I loved the excitement and the anticipation of his secret visit. I love the feelings that wash over me at the Christmas Eve candlelight service. The beautiful music of Christmas just gives me goosebumps. So....will the "moving Grinch" steal my Christmas this year?

I don't want him to. I want to be a Who. I want to , by faith, know the real joy and meaning of Christmas. I want this Christmas to come with more brilliance and magic than any Christmas ever has. I want to experience Christmas as the Lord gives it to me - wrapped in the beauty of His presence in my heart and life. I want to give that kind of Christmas too - to unselfishly give of myself in a way that has nothing to do with buying presents or decorating or baking. There is nothing wrong with any of those things - unless they become Christmas.

No - Christmas can't be found in a store. Christmas is, indeed, in our hearts. It comes without fancy wrapping or fanfare - it comes gently and quietly as we accept the precious gift given to us by the Father. It is glorious and eternal. I want to be a Who this Christmas.

Blessings,
Linda
 
  posted at 8:17 PM
  11 comments



11 Comments:
At 9:43 PM, Blogger someone else said...

Oh, I KNOW how you feel. Last Christmas our entire house except the bare, and I mean BARE, essentials was packed up for our move. We closed on the sale of our house and the purchase of this house the week of Christmas. All I put up was the tree and a couple nativity sets, I think. Then a couple days after Christmas we went to visit my mom in Texas for a week. When we came back, we had a week to finish up what was left and get moved. It was crazy and hectic, but it happened. Christmas was still there and we had fun anyway.

I know the limbo stage is the hard part. Just try to flow with it.

 
At 9:52 PM, Blogger Heather said...

You know, we hae all the trappings this year but I am not too into them. They feel empty this year. There are more important things to deal with. I think I need to my inner Who this Christmas as well. :)

 
At 11:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I moved last year before Christmas so our house was the same way. After being all packed up and moving I just didn't want to decorate. Christmas still came and it was still nice so keep your chin up and hopefully the grinch won't have any luck.

 
At 7:32 AM, Blogger Erin said...

I totally agree. We are having the same kind of Christmas this year with the renovation. We will be moving home the week after Christmas and traveling the week of Christmas, so I saw no need to decorate. But, we are still very much celebrating the birth of Christ!

Thanks for the comment you left on my post. And, I would love and appreciate any blogging/linking info that you can give without causing you any trouble. Thanks.

 
At 9:45 AM, Blogger Dawn said...

I love this post. I've never moved at Christmas time, but yesterday when I was listening to "There's No Place Like Home for the Holidays," I was transported back to my first Christmas after college when I was very lonely. Christmas is so wrapped up in what we do to celebrate that sometimes we forget to just celebrate Him. Thanks for the good thoughts today.

Also, thanks for the comments yesterday - it doesn't surprise me to hear that music could actually turn a heart toward God in the form of salvation, not just worship. What a great story! I'd love to hear more.

 
At 12:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I was in kindergarten I played the role of Cindy Lou Who in a local production. :)

There's my claim to fame LOL

 
At 4:33 PM, Blogger Kristen said...

I'm with you. I'm all about decorations, lights, music and the "feeling" of Christmas.

That'd be hard....being in limbo during the holiday season. But I know you'll be a Who and enjoy Christmas sans the Grinch! ;-)

 
At 10:15 PM, Blogger Big Mama said...

Linda, this was just a beautiful post. I think that you are a Who just from what you were able to share about the meaning of Christmas. Thanks for reminding me to be a Who too.

 
At 10:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It sounds like you are well on your way to being a Who for Christmas! Kayla watched that last night with Joe too and seemed to enjoy it...she really loves Charlie Browna and Snoopy though!

 
At 11:22 PM, Blogger Carole Burant said...

i just watched that cartoon also the other night...I think those little characters in Whoville can teach us a thing or two about the true spirit os Christmas!! I can imagine how different it must feel for you this year, with moving in the middle of the holidays...the spirit of Christmas is in your heart, though, and not in the trappings around you!! Hugs xox

 
At 8:51 PM, Blogger Nancy said...

It sounds like you are making the best of it. This too shall pass! Thanks for sharing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home