About Me

Name: Linda

Location: Texas


I am a wife, mom and grandma. I am doing what I've wanted to do all my life. I am a Christian and I love the Lord.

My Complete Profile
Contact Me


Blogrolls
Family Friendly Blogroll [-]

A Group Blog for Christian Moms

Christian Women Online
Blog Ring

Join | List | Random

Recent Posts
Psalm 100
Happy Thanksgiving
Friends
I Have The List!
It's Official - I'm Losing My Mind
Search My Heart, O God
Urrrgh!!
Honoring Veterans
PRAISE and THANKS (and Happy Birthday to me!)
I'm Having a Great Week!!

Archives
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
August 2009


Search


Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by:



Miscellaneous
Add Snippets to your site






Subscribe with Bloglines


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported License. Site Meter

Sunday, November 26, 2006
The Hutch

My husband and I have been working on our house plans. We have been doing so for a long time. He worked long hours reworking the original plans to accommodate our needs and our pocketbook (mostly our pocketbook). We had everything figured out – except for one detail – the Hutch. We couldn’t figure out how to fit it into the kitchen we had designed.

We worked hard on it this morning – measuring and remeasuring, taking out doors, moving windows – trying to find enough wall space for the four and a half foot wide Hutch. At one point I found myself struggling to hold back tears when it looked like there was just no possible way to fit it in. Eventually my brilliant husband figured out a way to rework the window and back door to give us enough wall space for my precious Hutch (sigh of relief and happiness).

Now why, you ask, all this angst over a piece of furniture? We have just come through the season of being thankful for the things that are truly important – and they are not material things. I do believe that with all my heart. However, there are some things that have so much meaning they become something more than material “things”. Such is the case with the Hutch.

My Dad made it for my Mother so many years ago I have no recollection of when it wasn’t part of our household. It held all her special things – the china, the silver, and the special ornamental pieces she treasured. It has been a part of every family gathering I can remember. I can still see myself as a young girl opening the drawer to take out the beautiful silverware to set the table for a special dinner. I have always loved it, and my Mom promised me that some day it would be mine.

When my parents decided to move to a smaller home there wasn’t going to be room for the Hutch. So a few years ago, my husband and I drove the truck all the way to Pennsylvania to take the Hutch to its new home – ours. It fit beautifully in our dining room and now holds all my special things. My tea cup collection fits perfectly on its shelves. It has become the backdrop for all of our family gatherings – the background for so many pictures of happy times.

If you look closely you will see that the wood in the back has separated over time, and there is a mark where it suffered a little accident on the ride home from Pennsylvania. None of that matters. It is a part of me somehow, and I couldn’t bear the thought of parting with it. I hope some day one of my grandchildren will ask if it can become a part of their home. I hope it will always be a part of our family – standing quietly in the background as we love, and laugh, and share and grow old together.

There is room for the Hutch – and I am happy!

Blessings,
Linda
 
  posted at 1:32 PM
  9 comments



9 Comments:
At 1:58 PM, Blogger Susie said...

Linda,
What a beautiful post and I can truly see why your treasure this hutch so much.
I have my Mom's hutch which takes up a huge amount of space, as well as my own hutch. They don't match so they're in different rooms. But I can't part with either of them..
How clever your husband was to arrange room for this family heirloom!
((hugs))

 
At 3:01 PM, Blogger Susie said...

I love your hutch. It is beautiful, and I don't blame you for wanting it to stay with you. It is a treasure you need to keep in the family.

 
At 7:42 PM, Blogger Carole Burant said...

It's no wonder you wanted to make sure you had room for the hutch...what a wonderful piece of family heirloom with so many wonderful memories attached to it! I'm even smiling because you'll be able to fit it in your new kitchen!!! lol Hugs xox

 
At 8:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm like you, Linda-something would have to give somewhere, because no way would I give up that hutch, not with all those precious memories attached to it.

I have a bookcase that my Daddy and I made from an OLD solid wood TV cabinet and it is uuuu-gly! But I love it and it's one of my most cherished possessions, especially since he died in 2004. I understand about your hutch. I really do.

I'm glad your hubby found a way to make room for your treasured hutch. :-)

Have a great week, Linda. :-)

 
At 9:55 PM, Blogger The Glow Girls said...

Linda, your hutch is wonderful. I have a hutch as well. My great, great,grandfather built the hutch I have with his own hands and this piece of funtiure has been passed down from one family member to the next. That special piece holds so many memories of when I was a little girl and it has been painted on and stripped to it's oringal color. I will always cherish it. It now holds my grandmother's crystal and china, but the memoires are what really makes my hutch stand out. No matter where I go or move to-- it will always find a place.
A beautiful story. I enjoyed reading it.

 
At 11:13 PM, Blogger someone else said...

What a glorious treasure that is! Besides that, it's just really pretty. How special to have it.

I know what you mean about wanting to find a place for a piece of furniture that means so much to you. We have an old console stereo that we bought when we were dating and in college. We still have it, although it doesn't work very well anymore, but we just can't get rid of it.

 
At 7:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are those Jeremiah Junction (Cross Country Stitchery) cross-stitches I see on the wall? They are my FAVORITES, and I've stitched up SO many of those for gifts. The hutch is lovely. Glad it worked out!

 
At 8:42 PM, Blogger Pamela said...

A family heirloom is a treasure indeed! It holds so much sentimental value! I am so happy for you that your wonderful hubby found a way for that beautiful hutch to fit in the new home.

One day I hope to receive a beautiful corner china cabinet that is completely beveled in front wood, glass and all. I adore it and have been told it will be mine as it was my Grandmother's but my Mom seems to be attached to it right now! hehe!

Thanks so much for sharing this sweet uplifting post! Can't wait to hear and see what you have planned for the new home! ((hugs))

 
At 2:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I get attached to items that have been in my family for a long time. I think it is that these things have been loved by someone and carry memories when we look at them. Obviously your hutch was loved and now you are lucky to have it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home