About Me

Name: Linda

Location: Texas


I am a wife, mom and grandma. I am doing what I've wanted to do all my life. I am a Christian and I love the Lord.

My Complete Profile
Contact Me


Blogrolls
Family Friendly Blogroll [-]

A Group Blog for Christian Moms

Christian Women Online
Blog Ring

Join | List | Random

Recent Posts
Bits and Pieces
Let's Chat
HAPPY HALLOWEEN !!
My Contradictory Heart
All Moved In
Gone Moving!!
Piano Lessons
Prayer Request
PRAISE
Saturday Photo Hunt - Dreaming

Archives
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
August 2009


Search


Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by:



Miscellaneous
Add Snippets to your site






Subscribe with Bloglines


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported License. Site Meter

Sunday, November 05, 2006
SAME GIRL

I am going to by sixty years old in a few days. SIXTY!! That‘s a big number. I never really fretted much about age until I hit my mid-forties. Suddenly I was preoccupied with the way my neck looked and the lines on my face, and we don’t even want to discuss the “c” word (shhh…cellulite). I began to feel rather old and to think about it a lot.

That lasted for several years – until I turned fifty. Then I thought, “You know what? I’m getting old, and I just don’t care! It was somehow liberating. So I’ve been fine with the fifties – but sixty? I think this means I’m officially old by anyone’s standards (except my parents’ perhaps). It’s funny how things you’ve been hearing older people say all your life suddenly have relevancy to your own life. I’ve heard my Mom say so many times she doesn’t feel any older on the inside. She says she looks in the mirror and wonders who that old woman is. I understand.

One of my favorite Christian singers, Twila Paris, wrote and recorded a song years ago that captures all of those feelings perfectly. She is an amazing singer, but I love her writing even more. I can’t listen to this song without struggling to hold back the tears. I always thought of my Mom. Now I think about me too. Here is the song:

“Same Girl”

“Picture with me if you can a little girl in a younger land
Running, playing, laughing growing stronger.
Now the aging limbs have failed and the rosy cheeks are paled
Look behind the lines till you remember.

She’s still the same girl flying down the hill.
She’s still the same girl memories vivid still.
Listen to her story, and her eyes will glow.
She’s still the same girl, and she needs you so.

Picture with me if you will a long white dress and a wedding veil
Two young dreamers pledge their love together.
Now her lifelong friend is gone, and she spends her days alone.
Look behind the lines till you remember.

She’s still the same girl walking down the aisle.
She’s still the same girl with the shining smile.
Listen to her story, and her eyes will glow.
She’s still the same girl – same girl.

She’s still the same girl wiser for the years.
She’s still the same girl stronger for the tears.
Listen to her story, and your heart will grow.
She’s still the same girl, and we need her so.

She’s still the same girl, and she needs you so.”

I know I’m not quite there yet, but I know that feeling. I’m still the same girl – it’s only the outside that has altered. I hope I’ve grown wiser and stronger. I know my Mom has.

Blessings,
Linda
 
  posted at 12:02 PM
  15 comments



15 Comments:
At 12:58 PM, Blogger Pamela said...

Linda, what a wonderful feel good post! I just love the words to the song. So is your B-day on the 5th or 6th? Mine is on the 17th of this month too! Isn't that funny! Have a lovely Sunday!

 
At 3:23 PM, Blogger Susie said...

Linda,
Although I don't know that song, I love the lyrics you've shared. Very true!
We're very close to the same age and your post said many of the things I've often thought.
So what date is your birthday? Let's celebrate!!!

 
At 5:33 PM, Blogger Heather said...

Happy Birthday when it gets here. :) I know exactly what yo mean and I am only 32 (I think, I can't remember but everyone else seems to. :)) I loe Twila Paris and love that song. I often can't get over that I am getting older, seeing my kids gettin big (my 9 year old is the same size I was at 12). It is so amazing and yet I don't feel older. I feel wiser but not older.

 
At 5:44 PM, Blogger someone else said...

I hear you! I'm coming up to 58 and I wonder how I got that old. I remember saying that I thought I'd probably see the most changes in myself between 50 and 60, and so far that's true. It's just a lot harder to stay in shape. I don't even want to imagine the changes in the next 10 years. I just want to live to tell about them!

 
At 7:46 PM, Blogger Carole Burant said...

I just turned 49 on Oct. 13th and I find it so hard to believe that next year I'll be 50! I remember when my mom was that age and I thought she was so old...now I realize just how young she was and felt!! As they say, age is just a number so enjoy it!! Like the others asked, when is your birthday????

 
At 9:14 PM, Blogger Nancy said...

I love the words to the song.. and happy early birthday. What a blessing to have lived 60 wonderful years. That is something to celebrate... I am just a few years behind you. Thanks for sharing.
Blessings,
Nancy

 
At 9:46 PM, Blogger Lori said...

I am 43 and everything you said about your forties is happening to me right now. Happy Birthday to you Linda. May you be blessed with many more wonderful year to serve our Lord and Savior. God bless sister in the Lord.

 
At 10:57 PM, Blogger Diane@Diane's Place said...

I can relate to everything you wrote, Linda. I'm 43, but I truly don't feel that old emotionally and on the inside. But, OH, my BODY!! I certainly feel my age in my body. My Mama had her last baby at 34, and I can't even BEGIN to imagine having a baby at 34, much less at 43 as many women are now doing.

I lost my Mama to cancer in 2005, but she is still one of the wisest and strongest women I've ever known.

Great post, Linda. :-)

 
At 5:08 AM, Blogger 2nd Cup of Coffee said...

Aging gracefully is hard. I used to be so hard on my mom, thinking, I'll never obsess about wrinkles, etc. It takes a strong person to age gracefully and accept where she is. I want to be conten no matter the circumstance or appearance. Great Post.

 
At 8:00 AM, Blogger Emmie, aka Vivian said...

Hello, sweet friend! My birthday is also on the 17th, Pamela! Whee! I'll be 51, and I'm loving it. Last year, for the big Five-Oh, I told my kids I wanted a birthday party WITH PRESENTS--I've never had one! And they even pulled off a surprise one! It was such a blessing. God is so good! (And I'm still VERY young inside....)Happy Birthday, Linda!

 
At 3:18 PM, Blogger Pamela said...

Thanks so much for being such a good friend. I am sure the antibiotics will kick in soon. I guess we all have to go down and vote tomorrow. :)

 
At 4:56 PM, Blogger The Glow Girls said...

Happy BIrthday. I bloged my way over here from Susie's blog. happy birthday. I'm only 36, but I do feel the way you describe. My grandmother died a few years back at age of 92 and she often commented to me that she may be in her ninetys but in her mind and soul she is only in her thritys. Still searching for the perfect color lipstick and the perfect shoe to wear. She was a riot. Glad I stopped by.

 
At 3:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sweet song. I know the feeling. I am only turning 43 in Feb., but in the last few years noticing how the little wrinkles seep in around the eyes and neck really threw me for a loop. It didn't last too long, because I am not too much into primping and I rarely wear makeup. Maybe that is what is making it all a little easier. It is so strange though to look at pictures from years ago and realizing I don't look quite the same.

 
At 1:12 PM, Blogger Shawna said...

HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!!! I hope that your birthday was absolutely wonderful! You deserve it! :0)

 
At 12:13 PM, Blogger LindaD said...

Beautiful song - too close to home for me at the moment for some reason. 30-40-50-60 were just numbers. I'm nearly 65 - March - and feel like everyone else.. who IS that person hogging my mirror. I know He says 'to everything there is a season' and its His presence and promise to direct the path that comforts me when I wonder what that OLD 70 holds. LOL. Thanks for sharing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home