About Me

Name: Linda

Location: Texas


I am a wife, mom and grandma. I am doing what I've wanted to do all my life. I am a Christian and I love the Lord.

My Complete Profile
Contact Me


Blogrolls
Family Friendly Blogroll [-]

A Group Blog for Christian Moms

Christian Women Online
Blog Ring

Join | List | Random

Recent Posts
Let's Chat
HAPPY HALLOWEEN !!
My Contradictory Heart
All Moved In
Gone Moving!!
Piano Lessons
Prayer Request
PRAISE
Saturday Photo Hunt - Dreaming
Exhaustified!!

Archives
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
August 2009


Search


Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by:



Miscellaneous
Add Snippets to your site






Subscribe with Bloglines


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported License. Site Meter

Saturday, November 04, 2006
Bits and Pieces


Yesterday my Mom and I went to see the movie “One Night With the King”. I haven’t been to a movie in ages. I love going to the movies, but there just hasn’t been anything I’ve really felt like I wanted to see. A few friends saw this one and gave it a great review. So off we went!

I loved it. I am a hopeless romantic, and I dearly love a good love story. I’ll admit there were times I didn’t exactly follow all the political “intrigue”, (lots of underhanded stuff going on in those days). However, Esther’s story is one of my very favorite Bible stories, and the movie stayed pretty faithful to the scripture. Of course they did a bit of “embroidery”, but all in all it was a good movie.

Have you ever read Jan Karon’s books? I have read and reread the Mitford series. Every time she publishes a new book, I buy it, read it, and then go back and read all the others because I just can’t bear to say goodbye to the characters.

The main character is Father Tim – an Episcopalian priest. He is so real. He has become one of my favorite people. Within the books Father Tim keeps a little notebook of quotes that are meaningful to him. Jan Karon put all those quotes together in a couple of books, one of which is “Patches of Godlight”. I thought I would share some of them with you:

“Faith goes up the stairs that love has built and looks out the window which hope has opened.” Charles Spurgeon

“A lie goes half way around the world before truth can get its pants on.”
Winston Churchill

“Good character is more to be praised than outstanding talent. Most talents are, to some extent, a gift. Good character, by contrast, is not given to us. We have to build it, piece by piece – by thought, choice, courage and determination.”
H. Jackson Browne

“Be faithful in the little practices of love which will build in you the life of holiness and make you Christ like.” Mother Teresa

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.” Ralph Waldo Emerson

“Many things I have tried to grasp, and have lost. That which I have placed in God’s hands I still have.” Martin Luther

“Quietude, which some men cannot abide because it reveals their inward poverty, is as a palace of cedar to the wise, for along its hallowed courts the King in his beauty deigns to walk.” Charles Spurgeon

“I am of certain convinced that the greatest heroes are those who do their duty in the daily grind of domestic affairs whilst the world whirls as a maddening dreidel.” Florence Nightingale

“I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy; the most profitable explanation is that I was made for another world.” C.S. Lewis

“Prayer is either a sheer illusion or a personal contact between embryonic, incomplete persons (ourselves) and the utterly concrete Person. Prayer in the sense of petition, asking for things, is a small part of it; confession and penitence are its threshold, adoration its sanctuary, the presence and vision and enjoyment of God its bread and wine. In it God shows himself to us. That He answers prayer is a corollary, not necessarily the most important one, from that revelation. What He does is learned from what He is.”
C.S. Lewis

“I sought for the greatness and genius of America in her commodious harbors and her ample rivers, and it was not there; in her fertile fields and boundless prairies, and it was not there; in her rich mines and her vast world commerce, and it was not there. Not until I went to the churches of America and heard her pulpits aflame with righteousness did I understand the secret of her genius and power. America is great because she is good and if America ever ceases to be good, America will cease to be great.”
Alexis de Tocqueville

“In the name of Jesus Christ, who was never in a hurry, we pray, O God, that You will slow us down, for we know that we live too fast. With all of eternity before us, make us take time to live – time to get acquainted with You, time to enjoy Your blessings, and time to know each other.”
Peter Marshall

“Thou has given me so much…Give me one thing more, a grateful heart.”
George Herbert

“How little people know who think that holiness is dull…When one meets the real thing, it’s irresistible.” C.S. Lewis

I think I’d better stop here – or blogger will throw a fit. I have probably written enough to take care of a couple of day’s worth of posts. Have a wonderful weekend!

Blessings,
Linda
 
  posted at 10:54 AM
  13 comments



13 Comments:
At 11:24 AM, Blogger someone else said...

The Mitford series is one of my all-time favorites. I have them all. Way back in March I finished the last one (#8) and it was so sad to have the series come to an end. I posted about Father Tim when I finished reading. There are just so many words of wisdom in those stories.

 
At 11:47 AM, Blogger Donnetta said...

I so thoroughly enjoy great quotes. Thanks for sharing these!!

 
At 2:02 PM, Blogger Nancy said...

I have not read the Mitford series but the setting is suppose to replicate the Blowing Rock, NC area which is near where I live. Now that I have retired, I mayy try to read them. I hear they are super! I also enjoyed the quotes. I like to collect guotes and then share them in cards or letters at just the right time. Thank you for adding to my collection. You have blessed my day.
Blessings,
Nancy

 
At 2:36 PM, Blogger Pamela said...

Glad to hear you liked the movie, I keep getting mixed reviews from friends, but if you say it is good, I am right there! :)

Love quotes, and love the one...Faith goes up the stairs that love's built and looks out the window hope has opened. Love it!

Hope you are enjoying your Saturday! :)

 
At 3:28 PM, Blogger Pamela said...

I am sure I will love it! I just meant I value you thoughts very much more than some of the others. lol

 
At 4:32 PM, Blogger Barb said...

Our movies are now only the ones we get in the mail from Netflix. It just cost so dang much to go to a movie it's a rare treat.

I have all of Jan Karon's books. She can't write them fast enough for me. I'm a huge fan of hers. I love love Father Tim and all the nutty characters in the Mitford books.

 
At 5:30 PM, Blogger Carole Burant said...

I haven't seen the movie and I haven't read the Mitford series....now I feel like I'm missing something! I really enjoyed reading all the quotes...I've always prefered quotes to poems! Hope you're having a wonderful weekend:-)

 
At 6:52 PM, Blogger Shawna said...

I had to drop by personally to say thank you thank you for being such an incredible encouragement to me!!! You are a definite blessing and I so appreciate your friendship. :0)

I can't wait to see that movie but will probably have to wait for it on video.

I haven't read the Mitford series, which actually makes no sense. I love series, especially Christian series, so these will have to go on my list right away! Thanks for the recommendation.

 
At 9:18 PM, Blogger Dawn said...

I love the Mitford series. The other day at the library with the girls, we just "happened" to pick up a children's book by Jan Karon. It's based on her grandmother and is called "Miss Fanny's Hats." It is a wonderful story and I was so glad to find it. I think I'm going to have to own it.

The quotes are wonderful and thought-provoking - especially the one by Alexis de Tocqueville.

 
At 9:40 PM, Blogger Ms. Kathleen said...

I am so happy to hear One Night With the King was a good movie. I loved the book.

Thank you for all the great quotes. I enjoyed reading your post.

 
At 9:40 PM, Blogger Erin said...

Great quotes. I am planning to see that movie, but I just haven't made it yet! I can't wait to, though!! I am a hopeless romantic, as well.

 
At 9:36 PM, Blogger Big Mama said...

I love the Mitford series. Thanks for writing down all those great quotes.

 
At 5:06 AM, Blogger 2nd Cup of Coffee said...

The Mitford series is well done because Jan Karon writes humorously about, but still respects, her characters. I've read Knock-offs of this type of book, but the author had a meanstreak; there was no redeeming quality in the apparent small-mindedness of the character. You didn't know why the person was bitter or legalistic, for example. Karon is great at subtlety.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home