About Me

Name: Linda

Location: Texas


I am a wife, mom and grandma. I am doing what I've wanted to do all my life. I am a Christian and I love the Lord.

My Complete Profile
Contact Me


Blogrolls
Family Friendly Blogroll [-]

A Group Blog for Christian Moms

Christian Women Online
Blog Ring

Join | List | Random

Recent Posts
Prayer Request
PRAISE
Saturday Photo Hunt - Dreaming
Exhaustified!!
A Little This; A Little That
The Oak Trees
My Dream
Braggin' Rights
His Greatness
Angel Dog?

Archives
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
August 2009


Search


Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by:



Miscellaneous
Add Snippets to your site






Subscribe with Bloglines


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported License. Site Meter

Tuesday, October 24, 2006
Piano Lessons


Today was piano lesson day. I love taking piano lessons. When I was a teenager, I didn't love it. I thought I would and begged to take lessons, but then other things looked like so much more fun. I was involved in everything I could fit into my schedule at school. I had made the twirling squad after much hard work, and it took up a lot of my time. Somehow I was willing to get to school at 7:30 in the morning for marching band practice, but it was just too much effort to practice piano. So after a couple of years I quit. My parents should have given me a hard time but didn't. My Dad didn't want me to do something my heart wasn't in.

Fast forward forty years (and I do mean fast forward - time absolutely does fly), and I began to deeply regret my teenage decision. We bought a digital piano and a book that said you could learn to play by yourself. I worked very hard at it and was making some progress, but it became evident I really did need a teacher. My friend, whose girls were taking lessons from our church pianist, called one day to say there was an opening for me if I wanted it. I talked it over with my husband and decided to take the plunge.

That was three years ago, and I have never regretted it. My teacher, Mary Alice, is an amazing pianist. She is also so sweet and patient. I am not the most brilliant of students. I find the old brain takes a lot longer to learn things these days. I am making progress though and some day I hope to fill our home with beautiful music.

Blessings,
Linda
 
  posted at 3:59 PM
  12 comments



12 Comments:
At 5:12 PM, Blogger Kristen said...

I think it's great that you are taking piano lessons! I took them for 7 years when I was younger. I quit as I got into high school. I can still play, but wish I could play better. Maybe I'll take lessons again one of these days. :-)

 
At 5:16 PM, Blogger Donnetta said...

My parents made me practice every day. The deal was I had to be in lessons until I could pick up a hymnal and play any song. Needless to say that took many, many, many years. I hated it at the time but now am so grateful they did!!

I'm so happy for you in taking this on!! We could all learn from this! It truly is never too late to start learning a new thing! Thanks for the reminder and challenge in this!!

 
At 5:28 PM, Blogger Susie said...

Linda,
This post touched my heart. My Mom decided to learn to play in her adult life. She worked very hard at it and would come home and make me practice her lesson.
My Grandma, on the other hand, could sit down and play anything by ear. What a gift!!

 
At 5:35 PM, Blogger someone else said...

Good for you! It's wonderful that you're enjoying it so much. I tried to take lessons some years back as an adult, and I just never was happy with myself, so I decided it just wasn't for me. I moved my piano to my daughter's house so my granddaughter could learn. She's doing great!!

 
At 7:05 PM, Blogger Diane@Diane's Place said...

Linda, one of my dreams is to play the piano and guitar. I used to be able to chord a little on guitar, but it's been years since I owned one. I can sightread to sing most anything, but I've never been able to play the piano.

Jessica is self-taught, and can play some by reading notes and almost anything by ear. I am so jealous!!

Thank you for your sweet comments on my blog. Friends like you are what makes blogging such a blessing to me. :-)

 
At 7:15 PM, Blogger Girl Raised in the South said...

My husband is planning to take piano lessons when he retires. He said he regrets that he didnt do that when he was growing up - he played sports instead. I cant wait to hear music coming from the living room while I'm cooking supper. Good for you for having the courage to go after something that matters to you.

 
At 7:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think that is so cool. I would love to be able to play the piano. It's great that you have gotten back into it, so see all is not lost.

 
At 9:29 PM, Blogger Nancy said...

WOW! I am proud of you. It is wonderful to know that we can still learn new things even when we get older. God is good.

 
At 9:48 PM, Blogger Dawn said...

I started lessons when I was 7, because we were at a really small church and Dad needed a pianist (he was the pastor of this tiny church in Arkansas). I talked about this in one of my earliest posts. I started playing for church at 8. Then we moved to a larger city where we couldn't afford lessons any more, so my progress was aborted. I have played piano and organ for church (very generically) for so many years, I can't count them!

Keep up the good work!

 
At 10:06 PM, Blogger Barb said...

I so admire you for taking lessons now. It's a great reminder to all of us that we're never too old to learn something new.

And I love the picture on your piano. It's lovely.

 
At 10:11 PM, Blogger Ms. Kathleen said...

Oh my gosh! I had this photo on my piano for years. Timoni was brunette, Tara a blond and I thought it perfect for my two girls. Timoni loved piano, Tara didn't. My Mom played piano but never gave me lessons. I am not sure why but I made sure all my kids could. I do have one but the thing almost frightens me. I guess my gifts lie elsewhere! I really admire your drive! That is wonderful. I know my Mom took lessons as an adult as well.

 
At 1:23 AM, Blogger Lori said...

I am so glad to hear that you went back to taking piano lessons after all these years. I played the flute all through school; after school I never picked it up until this past year. I am 43 so I really can relate to what you are saying.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home