About Me

Name: Linda

Location: Texas


I am a wife, mom and grandma. I am doing what I've wanted to do all my life. I am a Christian and I love the Lord.

My Complete Profile
Contact Me


Blogrolls
Family Friendly Blogroll [-]

A Group Blog for Christian Moms

Christian Women Online
Blog Ring

Join | List | Random

Recent Posts
It's Official - I'm Losing My Mind
Search My Heart, O God
Urrrgh!!
Honoring Veterans
PRAISE and THANKS (and Happy Birthday to me!)
I'm Having a Great Week!!
A Christmas Memory
SAME GIRL
Bits and Pieces
Let's Chat

Archives
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
August 2009


Search


Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by:



Miscellaneous
Add Snippets to your site






Subscribe with Bloglines


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported License. Site Meter

Thursday, November 16, 2006
I Have The List!
I am a fanatical list-maker. I love lists – couldn’t live without them. The past few days I’ve been feeling a bit overwhelmed by all the things we need to do by January 4th. Don’t get me wrong. I am so grateful we have a buyer I am beside myself. However, there are lots of things to do in the next few weeks.

Next week is Thanksgiving. I’m fortunate there, because our dear friend is having Thanksgiving at her house this year. She and her husband and son have become a part of our family. They celebrate Thanksgiving and Christmas with us every year. So this year she wanted to have it at her house (after my daughter-in-law, her best friend, volunteered her). My assignment is pies. I can handle that.

The day after Thanksgiving we are having the whole family here (that’s sixteen – but who’s counting?). Our son and his family are spending Thanksgiving Day with her family so we will all get together Friday. Of course we won’t have any leftover turkey (see previous paragraph), so I’ll rustle up (that’s Texan for cook) a big pot of chili and all the fixins (Texan again – which spell-check doesn’t seem to recognize for some reason).

Our daughter’s birthday is the 27th – so we’ll have her party that Friday when everyone is here. I must buy her presents and bake a cake. I also need to buy advent calendars for the grandkids because that is what I do every year.

I haven’t started my Christmas shopping (I know you are all rolling your eyes right about now. The more blogs I read the more disorganized and behind schedule I feel.). I haven’t even bought my Christmas cards yet – let alone started writing them (I feel a Christmas letter coming on).

Then my parents are moving from their apartment here in our house to their new house the first weekend in December. We need to arrange the rental truck (and the “volunteer” help to move them), buy a new stove, washer and dryer for their new house, and generally get them resettled.

We need to find a rental place in which to live while our new house is being built. I have to pack up and be ready to go by the 4th of January. And we have to see if we can round up the same “volunteers” to help us move (my son has lots of big, strong friends who will help you move for pizza).

So…as I said, I was feeling a bit overwhelmed. That is until I sat down at my trusty computer, brought up Word, clicked on “columns” and typed up my to do list. I can’t tell you how much better I feel. I don’t know what it is, but when I have all that “stuff” buzzing around in my little brain I just feel so weighted down. When I get my list all written up, it suddenly all looks manageable. No problem; I can do this.

Actually I haven’t done a thing – but I have my list and I feel so much better.

Blessings,
Linda
 
  posted at 4:57 PM
  14 comments



14 Comments:
At 5:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lists are great! I made one a little while ago.... Enjoy your parents next door while you can--run over and give them a hug while you can. You'll get it all done. Have a great day, dear lady.

 
At 5:38 PM, Blogger Donnetta said...

I am such a list maker too! Now that you've got that... you're ready to go! :-)

Thanks for the very encouraging comments you have been leaving for me! They bless me more than you can know!!

 
At 7:25 PM, Blogger Susie said...

Whew! I'm tired reading that! Moving is stressful enough, but at the holidays!
I'm sure it will all work out, but it does sound a bit daunting, doesn't it?

 
At 8:10 PM, Blogger Dawn said...

I think the celebrations should be scaled WAY back this year - gift cards for everyone! And somebody else cooking. That's a lot of work you have coming up there. Somehow I missed the last few days here - don't know how or why. Somehow I missed the news on where you're building a new house.

I am so with you on the losing my mind thing. And on what you said about what we would do if faced with the situation the Christians and Jews faced in Europe prior to WWII. Could I be convicted if I were put on trial for being a Christian? Would there be enough evidence against me? That is a daunting question.

 
At 8:23 PM, Blogger Diane@Diane's Place said...

Stress not, Linda. It will all come together just as it needs to be. I know that's easy for me to say, sitting in another state without your to-do list, but I also know we serve the same loving Father, and as you are His faithful servant, He is in control, even when we like to think we are. Keep Him at the forefront of your plans, and all will be well, my friend. :-)

 
At 10:03 PM, Blogger Diane@Diane's Place said...

Me again, Linda. I answered your email, but for some reason it came back as undeliverable, so I thought I'd answer you here:

Hi, Linda,

I'm still feeling kind of wrung out and blah. As my Mama would have said, I feel like I've been pulled through a knothole backwards. :-) Overall, though, I am a little better. Thank you for asking, your concern means a lot, and I treasure your friendship, too, dear friend. :-)

As for Thanksgiving, I am cooking for me, Lamar, Jessica and Jason, and possibly my sister Ducky and her granddaughter, and possibly my niece, Ducky's daughter-in-law. There may be more, but right now it's looking like anywhere from 4 to 8, give or take. It will be a typical Thanksgiving meal for us:

Turkey and dressing
Mashed potatoes
Giblet gravy
Green peas
Candied sweet potatoes
Cranberry sauce
Homemade pumpkin pies
Homemade pecan pies

And whatever else someone requests or brings. The ones I listed are pretty much traditions for us. My Mama and Daddy both died in the last 2 years, and last year we kind of all did our own thing. Looks like this year will be much the same. Until Mama and Daddy died, we all gathered at their place. We've all been searching for our own traditions now that they're gone, and with Jessica getting married and expecting my first grandbaby, I'm going to be Grandma.Now my house is Grandma's house. So they will have a tradition of coming here for Thanksgiving and Christmas, I suppose, which is fine with me. I love to cook for the holidays.

It did my heart good to see your email in my inbox, Linda. Love to you and yours, and God bless,

Diane

 
At 9:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW are you going to be busy. I will pray this all goes smoothly. Don't feel bad, I haven't done any Chrismas stuff yet either. It seems like the time is flying and here I am not even thinking about what I should be doing. How stupid is this? Thank God you are not hosting Thanksgiving. At least that will give you a little space, but the rest of your schedule looks packed. I will be thinking of you and praying you get it all done without too much stress.

 
At 10:52 AM, Blogger Dawn said...

I tried to respond to your e-mail but it keeps bouncing back to me, saying undeliverable. The address that is in the text of the message they sent back is not the same one as I put in, or responded to. Really weird. What I was trying to tell you is that I remembered about Home Depot and the doctor, but didn't know you'd bought property and were starting a new house. How exciting! Will you have to landscape, or are there trees on this land?

 
At 12:16 PM, Blogger Pamela said...

Linda, I agree, with all that you have on your plates, it will definitely act as a stress reliever to have a handy little list to refer to!

My goodness, you are just amazing! With so much going on and the busy holiday season coming up...whew! You are so organized. My hubby's vacation was postponed til after Thankgiving. So I have to rethink my schedule too! Enjoy your day!

Thanks for singing Happy Birthday to me Linda, you are such a blessing and and a dear friend! :)

 
At 2:19 PM, Blogger Susie said...

Hi Linda,
I tried to respon to your comment but your email bounced back to me! I see it's happening with others too.
Anyway, just wanted to say thanks for your prayers for Bill. He's improving almost by the hour!
((hugs))

 
At 4:09 PM, Blogger Carole Burant said...

LOL well at least you have your list!! hehe I know what you mean about feeling overwhelmed at how much has to be done in the next few weeks...I should make myself a list too because my mind is in a muddle right now with all I have to do. You certainly do have lots to think of but have some wonderful celebrations coming up as well:-) Hugs xox

 
At 10:02 PM, Blogger Barb said...

This made me laugh, Linda. I'm exactly the same way. I have FOUR magnetic pads on my fridge for different categories of lists. I'm all about lists. And sometimes I spend so much time making lists, I don't get anything done. But I have to have the lists!

My goodness, you do have a full plate between now and January 4th!

 
At 10:37 PM, Blogger Kerri said...

Good for you! Lists are a very good thing. That sure is a full schedule you have coming up but I think you'll do fine....because you have your list!!! :)
Just take it one day at a time and try not to worry about it. I haven't done much Christmas shopping yet and no cards at all. Hope that makes you feel better :)

 
At 9:33 PM, Blogger Girl Raised in the South said...

I can completely identify with this - if it's written down I dont have to remember it in my head and that alone relieves some of the stress. One list maker to another.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home