About Me

Name: Linda

Location: Texas


I am a wife, mom and grandma. I am doing what I've wanted to do all my life. I am a Christian and I love the Lord.

My Complete Profile
Contact Me


Blogrolls
Family Friendly Blogroll [-]

A Group Blog for Christian Moms

Christian Women Online
Blog Ring

Join | List | Random

Recent Posts
The Little Things
Busy Day
Embroidered Towels
I Hear You Lord - Thank You
HOPE
Back Home and a Question
Why Blog and a Little Update
Just Thinking
One Thousand Gifts
Home

Archives
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
August 2009


Search


Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by:



Miscellaneous
Add Snippets to your site






Subscribe with Bloglines


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported License. Site Meter

Sunday, February 15, 2009
Sunday Afternoon Visit on the Front Porch
My Mom and Dad often speak about the things they miss about the "old days", and chief among them is the way people would simply drop by for a visit. No formal invitations going out, no prearranged time to show up, just a knock at the front door. Neighbors stopping by for a chat, Aunts, Uncles and cousins standing at the door knowing they were welcome to come in and sit around the table, have a cup of coffee and catch up on all the news while the kids played games in the family room or out in the yard.

I'm old enough to remember those visits and to remember summer evenings sitting outside on the front porch with neighbors who just happened to be walking by and stopped to chat for a little while. There was a feeling of warmth and closeness that came simply from sharing the stories of our lives with one another. Whether good news or bad, laughter or tears it is all so much better when shared with someone who cares.

So....come sit on the front porch with me this Sunday afternoon. You don't need to call first or wait for a special invitation. There are comfortable, empty chairs waiting just for you. Perhaps you'd like a nice cold drink or a cup of tea. Just come as you are and let's visit.

It's been one of those weeks where every day was just filled with things "to do". It makes the days pass quickly, but I really do like to have a bit of down time if I can. Don't you? I'm thankful it's Sunday and a day to just rest.

I thought Friday would be my day to just stay home and do some of the things I enjoy doing, but we got an early morning call from my Dad. His knee had become so painful overnight that he could barely walk on it and couldn't even manage to get into his little compact car. He had a doctor's appointment for 10:30 and asked if my husband and I could take him. So off we went. It turned out that he had lots of fluid on his knee. The doctor drained it and sent us off with a couple of prescriptions to be filled. He also told my Dad he would have to get back on his water pills. His cardiologist had said he could discontinue them, but evidently he still needs them. By the time we got him home, his legs and feet were all swollen up. He is doing much better now, and we're very thankful it wasn't something more serious. We've had enough "serious" for a while.

We arrived home with only about fifteen minutes to spare before our son and daughter-in-law dropped off our two granddaughters. They were on their way to an overnight Marriage Retreat. L. and H. arrived with their backpacks full of all the Valentine goodies they'd gotten at their school Valentine parties. We had such fun with them. They are ten and six. I love just sitting and listening to them talk. Life is so much the same and yet so different from when I was a little girl.

My husband gave me a beautiful pink and white bouquet for Valentine's Day. We went to church Saturday evening (after the girls went home) and then out to dinner. We had to wait over an hour to get a table. Just between you and me, I'd have been happy to go home, heat up a bowl of soup and just relax with my husband. I must really be getting old.

Have you been listening to talk radio much this week? I begin to listen to it less and less, but I want to keep up with what's going on, so I listen to some. It has been, for me, rather depressing this past week. I begin to have some very serious misgivings about the future of our country. We sang a song this week, our special choir number, that came at a perfect time. I am going to put up the youtube video just to share it with you. There isn't a video, but the audio is wonderful. I think it is a song for our time, a call to those of us who love the Lord and desire to see a great revival in this nation. I hope it will minister to you.

How was your week? What has the Lord been speaking to your heart? How can I pray for you?

Thank you so much for visiting. You are a blessing to me.


 
  posted at 11:31 AM
  5 comments



5 Comments:
At 2:37 PM, Blogger Linds said...

Beautiful song, Linda. The sermon I listened to this afternoon was based on Haggai 1:4-11. And Max Lucado spoke of getting back to the basics, as God told His people they needed to do. It was excellent.
Please pray for my daughter-in-law as she waits to have her baby, if you don't mind. Thanks, my friend.

 
At 3:54 PM, Blogger Susie said...

Hi Linda,
What a nice cozy visit through this post! So sorry to hear about your Dad's knee, but also glad it was not serious.
Your time with the girls sounds fun. I got to chat with our two on Valentine's Day and they have a zillion things to say..
I know what you mean about a nice bowl of soup vs the crowds.
Hope it was a wonderful Valentine's day in any case.
Your prayers for my Dad mean so much, thank you!
xo

 
At 6:00 PM, Blogger Dawn said...

What a great front porch visit we had - I just wish I could be there for real!

The song is perfect for today - I have the same misgivings that you have and it is had not to be pessimistic and frightened. Not only politically, but morally, we are in the pits. The Chronicles verses are our hope.

We didn't celebrate Valentine's Day, but had Kev's birthday dinner the night before with the family and had a great time together. His Feb. 13 b-day has always taken precedence over V-day, even though we live in LOVEland!

Please pray for Kev as he is diligently and desperately searching for some kind of job - any kind! I have such faith in your prayers.

 
At 7:04 PM, Blogger Abba's Girl said...

I can picture myself gabbing with you on the porch, sipping water, lemonade, or tea.

Talk radio depresses me. I take my eyes off the Lord and His word if I listen to too much of it.

Glad your father is doing ok.

Great song...a good one to have stuck in my head.

Please pray for my mother Barbara as she makes the transition to living alone after being married for 50 years.

I think our grief is healthy grief. The Lord has really poured out His comfort on us.

Did it rain in your neck of the woods? We received over an inch of rain...gentle soaking rain yesterday, Glory to God!

Annette

 
At 10:02 PM, Blogger Diane@Diane's Place said...

Well, I certainly had a nice porch settin' visit, Linda. :o)

I know what you mean about the economy, but I refuse to let Satan get me down over it. My trust is in Christ no matter what may happen.

I'm glad your Dad's problems weren't any worse. It's amazing how many problems that excess fluid on your body can cause.

Hope you have a great new week, my friend.

Love and blessings,

Diane

 

Post a Comment

<< Home