About Me

Name: Linda

Location: Texas


I am a wife, mom and grandma. I am doing what I've wanted to do all my life. I am a Christian and I love the Lord.

My Complete Profile
Contact Me


Blogrolls
Family Friendly Blogroll [-]

A Group Blog for Christian Moms

Christian Women Online
Blog Ring

Join | List | Random

Recent Posts
Just Thinking
One Thousand Gifts
Home
My Dad
A Look Back
42 Years!!
Who Me Lord?
Marching To Zion
Family
Back to "Normal"

Archives
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
August 2009


Search


Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by:



Miscellaneous
Add Snippets to your site






Subscribe with Bloglines


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported License. Site Meter

Sunday, January 25, 2009
Why Blog and a Little Update

During the time I've been blogging I've seen several posts with this same title. It always intrigues me to read about the reasons others blog. These bloggers usually have a sort of running theme through all their posts - one that finds its genesis in the very reason they began blogging in the first place. Invariably, they are blogs I am drawn to.

I am a rather orderly person. I find it hard to get comfortable when there is chaos all around me. Before I can sit down to do something, I need to tidy things up. That doesn't mean I keep an immaculately clean house. It simply means I like everything to be in its assigned place. The pictures may be sitting on a rather dusty surface, but they are right where they belong. I am content.

It is the same way with my mind. I like to have things all thought out, sorted through and put in their proper place. So I needed to figure out exactly why it is I blog.

I have mentioned a time or two or three that I have a huge imagination. Inside this sixty-two year old heart lurks a wide-eyed child whose head is filled with impossible dreams. I tell you that to explain my original reason for blogging. I am going to reveal a very foolish part of myself - so please don't laugh too hard.

When I first discovered blogging, I saw it as a way I could use my love of writing as a service to the Lord by writing about the things He put on my heart. In and of itself, I think it was a good reason to start. However, it didn't take long for the Dreamer to make her appearance, and I began to envision GREAT THINGS. Instead of the rejection slips I had so far received for my efforts to impress the writing world, I would have lots and lots of people reading my work and being blessed. Why who knows where it could all lead? Book offers, book tours....maybe even Oprah's Book Club (I told you I could dream BIG).

It didn't take long for that dream to go the way of most of my others. There were not lots and lots of readers - and the writing hasn't been all that brilliant after all. The reality was quite different, but in many ways much more than I ever dreamed. I couldn't have imagined the wonderful community I would be privileged to become a part of; the amazing women who write brilliantly and whose lives enrich and bless mine far more than I ever could.

So why blog? I looked in an old notebook I keep filled with quotes about writing. One of my favorite writers is Anne Morrow Lindbergh. Here are some of the things she said about why she wrote:

"And yet my life does not go well without writing. It is my flywheel, my cloister, my communication with myself and God. It is my eyes to the world, my window for awareness, without which I cannot see anything or walk straight. Writing in a diary is my tool for the development of awareness. It is the crucible through which the rough material of life must pass before I can use it in art."

"One writes to capture and crystallize one's joy, but also to analyze and disperse one's gloom."

"I must write it all out, at any cost. Writing is thinking. It is more than living, for it is being conscious of living."


I cannot remember where I read it, but the author was writing about keeping a Journal. She said that a thought or an event was not completed for her until she had written it down. It is much the same for me. There is something about writing a thing down that puts the finishing touch on it or perhaps gives it clarity.

That is what I want to accomplish with my blog - and then to share it. I'm not quite sure why the "sharing" part is important. Perhaps it is still that desire to somehow serve with my writing - to encourage, to share ideas, to keep in touch, to laugh and cry with others. It has become a sort of Journal but without the deeply personal things that really should be kept in one's own heart.

That is why I blog. I am so thankful that all of you blog too. How you have enriched my life.

Blessings,

Quick Update: We are in Dallas with our five grandchildren. We were scheduled to leave on tuesday morning but a predicted ice storm changed our plans. My granddaughter called and told us of the dire forecast, so we quickly packed and left the house at about 5:30 monday afternoon. A friend of my daughter-in-law was taking first shirt (she had been with them since saturday) and we were meant to take over tuesday evening. We quickly decided that we should try to beat the storm in both directions. She headed back to Houston and we left for Dallas. Our granddaughter, who is 17, held down the fort until we arrived.

We ran into a thick fog just after we drove through Austin and it stayed with us until just outside of Dallas. Scarey!! It feels as though you are enveloped in a thick blanket. My husband did a great job, and we pulled into the driveway at a little ten o'clock.

We are caught up in the fun of five children and an icey day outside. I'll be away from the computer for a few days. My four year old granddaughter wants me to watch her play with her little video game. So....I'm off! If things quiet down this evening I'll try to visit a few blogs. Otherwise.....see y'all on monday!

Blessings,
 
  posted at 11:46 AM
  15 comments



15 Comments:
At 3:50 PM, Blogger kelli said...

Linda...what a beautiful post. I love seeing glimpses of the beauty of your heart as I read more and more of your posts.

You teach and inspire me!

I love the quotes you used. They are true for me as well.

Thank you for starting a blog, for thinking through why you blog and for continuing to blog!

xo...kelli

 
At 6:15 PM, Blogger Sandi said...

Now if there was an easy way to print all your blogs and bind them together you have a book.

 
At 8:14 PM, Blogger Jess said...

Wonderful and honest post...I need to do this post as well. And...you share because you bless others and younger women learn from you and respect you.

You have touched my heart and life quite a few times with your posts... and you don't even know it.

In fact we have only been blogging for a short time together... but it's true... I have learned from you...

So thank you!

Have a great night
Love, Jess

 
At 6:06 AM, Blogger Abba's Girl said...

I am so glad I found your blog last year, I remember the pansies on the avatar caught my attention on the Lproof blog.

You have blessed me so.

I say combine your posts and you would have a devotional book.

Annette

 
At 10:46 PM, Blogger Maxine said...

I'm just getting to know you as a new blogging friend,but already I am appreciate of your heart when you write. I join with others in being thankful that God is using you to bless others. I can think of no better reason to blog.

 
At 11:41 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I *love* this post. I *love* that quote about writing, oh I can so relate to it all. and I love YOU.

 
At 10:27 AM, Blogger the voice of melody said...

Thank you for this glimpse at what's in your beautiful heart. :)

 
At 12:32 PM, Blogger Linds said...

What a wonderful reason to write. It is a compulsion for so many of us, but reading your reasons, and of your dreams, echoes in my heart too, Linda.
I am so glad you got there safely, and you go and have fun with all those grandchildren of yours!

 
At 6:21 PM, Blogger Nancy said...

I'm delighted you had safe travels and I hope your time with family is super!

I'm also delighted you are blogger. You always have something that touches my heart and inspires me and that is a blessing indeed!

 
At 6:35 PM, Blogger Jen said...

Enjoy your time with your family!

 
At 11:44 AM, Blogger Abba's Girl said...

Glad you arrived safely in Dallas...that's a long drive in fog...the ice didn't make it to Houston...I didn't want ice, but did want more snow...have a great time w/ those grandchildren!

 
At 10:29 PM, Blogger Dawn said...

You KNOW how I feel about your writing - I am in total agreement, and have said it several times before, that you have a devotional book in the making from your posts!

 
At 5:41 PM, Blogger Kerri said...

Linda, you bless us greatly with your writing. Reading your lovely thoughts gives me great pleasure.
I'm glad you decided to take up blogging :) It's such a treat to 'know' you!

 
At 10:42 AM, Blogger Shawna said...

I can fully relate to this, Linda. While I may blog about trivial things more often than not, when I have something I feel is important to say, I MUST say it or bust!

I MUST say it again, we are blessed to have you blogging. Please keep it up!

xoxoxo

 
At 6:15 PM, Blogger Elisabeth Black said...

I like that quote by Anne Morrow Lindbergh. Thanks for sharing it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home