About Me

Name: Linda

Location: Texas


I am a wife, mom and grandma. I am doing what I've wanted to do all my life. I am a Christian and I love the Lord.

My Complete Profile
Contact Me


Blogrolls
Family Friendly Blogroll [-]

A Group Blog for Christian Moms

Christian Women Online
Blog Ring

Join | List | Random

Recent Posts
One Thousand Gifts
Home
My Dad
A Look Back
42 Years!!
Who Me Lord?
Marching To Zion
Family
Back to "Normal"
Rain and Hope

Archives
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
August 2009


Search


Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by:



Miscellaneous
Add Snippets to your site






Subscribe with Bloglines


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported License. Site Meter

Thursday, January 22, 2009
Just Thinking

The windows are open to let in the lovely breezes. I'm sure I've started more than one post just exactly this way, but it is such a gift to have the windows open to the fresh air, I just can't help myself. We spend so much time with the windows closed up tight and the a.c. going, it is a joy to open the windows and let the gentle wind blow through the rooms of our home.

It is a very quiet day here - absolutely nothing going on. Bliss. We went for a walk this morning, I called my Mom, put a load of laundry in the washing machine - and that was it! All those hours waiting to be filled.

I sat at the piano for a long time practicing. I think I'm making a bit of progress, but it is slow. I long for the day when I can just open a piece of music and play without first having to sit and figure it all out. The figuring gets easier though, and I am enjoying every minute of it. I'm trying to exercise this old brain as well as this old body.

Tomorrow we have a busy day at the V.A. A routine stress test for my husband. It is also my Dad's 89th birthday. We've been invited for cream puffs and coffee on saturday afternoon. My Mom makes the most delicious cream puffs, and everyone knows cream puffs must be eaten the first day. They get soggy if they have to sit around (not much chance of that!).

I've been thinking about the word I've chosen for this year - "HOPE". I have read some things lately that have challenged my ideas on praying. I don't want my prayers to be a laundry list of the things I want the Lord to do for me. I'm afraid they often are. Then when I don't receive answers, I feel discouragement creep in. I keep coming back to the idea of praying without ceasing, of talking to the Lord all through my day rather than at a specified time. I've been trying to do that, but it is always me talking. I long to hear His voice. I long for conversations. I want to sit at His feet, lean my head against Him and rest in His presence.

I'm afraid I've let too many other things take the place of that. He is always right where He has promised to be. I'm the one who keeps putting Him off - the pattern of a lifetime of taking Him for granted.

Our music minister said last night that God uses broken vessels. There have been circumstances in my life that have left me shattered, and I've run to Him. It is true that those are the times we grow closer to Him. But suppose the brokenness meant breaking free of habits of selfishness and rebellion that keep me doing those things I don't want to do and not doing the things I should do?

I've been pondering.....it is time to make new habits. That is part of the Hope that is in me. That He will make all things new. I have begun to realize that what is most important is what He wants to do in my life and the lives of those I love dearly. More important even than having Him say yes to all my prayers. I've been concentrating on the "fervently asking". I feel Him calling me to fervently seek Him and Him alone.

Blessings,

That picture isn't my window. It is courtesy of flickr. The grass is not green outside my window. I'm afraid it is rather dry and brown.
 
  posted at 2:50 PM
  15 comments



15 Comments:
At 3:44 PM, Blogger Jen said...

Having the windows open sounds incredible! It's *way* too cold here!

 
At 4:40 PM, Blogger Maxine said...

Keep seeking Him, and you can be sure that He'll be found of you as He promised.

Wow, I can't believe you have your windows open. I can't even imagine that these days. But our time will come.

 
At 6:54 PM, Blogger Abba's Girl said...

It was open window day here as well.

I think as you pondered today, you heard from the Lord. You post is filled with His message.

Annette

PS - have fun celebrating your father's b-day...

 
At 8:56 PM, Blogger Aunt Angie said...

Oh Linda! I just have to tell you this!

When Mark let me and Aimee go through Wanda's books and take what we wanted (which was almost all) I found in a cookbook a note from Wanda to Aimee. AMAZING! What was so neat, when I read the note to Aimee--it simply said, "Aimee, let me know how it turns out", love Wanda". I asked Aimee what she meant (although another thought entirely came to my mind)---she said, Wanda had given Aimee the recipe for her cream puffs. AND Wanda wanted to know how they turned out. BUT she forgot to give her the note!

Well, my first thought was a note straight from heaven, and Wanda was asking...let me know how "they--my family"...turns out". I teared up at the note, thanked the Lord for such a simple--yet sweet reminder of where she was.

Your post was just another sweet reminder of the goodness of my Father in all my sweet friends. I am a mended vessel. Sometimes, my cracks and chips show back up...but He gently places me back on the potters wheel...and works on me again!

I love you dear friend!

 
At 11:34 PM, Blogger Amy said...

yes it must be refreshing to have the breeze blowing through the window, you do feel a bit cooped up over winter I know I do. I'm glad you're holding onto hope, that was my theme for last year, this year I'm going to look after me, I don't do that nearly enough.

 
At 5:13 AM, Blogger Linds said...

You know, Linda, Angie Smith, from Bring the Rain took a jug one day, and broke it, and then sat up through the night and reassembled it, to remind her of what she was, broken. http://audreycaroline.blogspot.com/2008/05/past-and-pitcher.html

If you go there you can read about it. You may already have done so.
I often look at my pitchers and think I need to do this too. I know we are whole, only in His eyes.

 
At 5:45 PM, Blogger grammy said...

Breezy days bring pleasant memories. My Granddaughters middle name is Hope. I do love that word. Hope you have a great BD celebration. Yummm, cream puffs.

 
At 7:32 PM, Blogger Sandi said...

I long for the day to have open windows again. However I did walk out into the snow and hang wash out today.

 
At 8:53 PM, Blogger Dawn said...

I was about ready to get on a plane and come down to sit by your window in the fresh air. So you have to keep your windows closed all summer and we do all winter. Although 3 days this week it was in the low 70s and I did have a window or two open. Nice!

You know the twins' names are indicative of their difficult beginnings - Kathryn Hope and Emma Faith

I MIL used to make wonderful cream puffs - she doesn't bake any more. I've never made them. I used to make popovers until I moved out here and they didn't come out right in this altitude.

 
At 8:57 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I love open windows and fresh breezes, quiet moments and thoughts of hope, the hope that springs from the determination to begin new habits, and reading about dear friends who are pondering all of that. Your post blessed me today.

 
At 7:36 AM, Blogger Islandsparrow said...

What a beautiful, hope-filled post. It's too easy to try and excel in the fervently asking isn't it? I like your idea that we should fervently seek Him. Thanks for this post - it blessed and inspired.

 
At 4:05 PM, Blogger Jess said...

Good post..I too had the windows open this past week

Have a great weekend

Love, Jess

 
At 5:38 PM, Blogger Jeremy said...

I can't wait to open my windows again... hopefully soon. Thanks for the reminder about praying, always, through out my day. I need that more.

 
At 9:32 PM, Blogger the voice of melody said...

Continue to seek Him and ask for guidance. He is faithful! Oh, and I hope your dad had a nice birthday and that you enjoyed those cream puffs. What a sweet treat! :)

 
At 12:19 AM, Blogger Susie said...

Hi Linda,
Just stopping in to say hi. Those cream puffs sound just yummy. Your posts are always filled with such inspiring words.
xo

 

Post a Comment

<< Home