About Me

Name: Linda

Location: Texas


I am a wife, mom and grandma. I am doing what I've wanted to do all my life. I am a Christian and I love the Lord.

My Complete Profile
Contact Me


Blogrolls
Family Friendly Blogroll [-]

A Group Blog for Christian Moms

Christian Women Online
Blog Ring

Join | List | Random

Recent Posts
A New Little Kalanchoe
Sunday Afternoon Visit on the Front Porch
The Little Things
Busy Day
Embroidered Towels
I Hear You Lord - Thank You
HOPE
Back Home and a Question
Why Blog and a Little Update
Just Thinking

Archives
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
August 2009


Search


Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by:



Miscellaneous
Add Snippets to your site






Subscribe with Bloglines


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported License. Site Meter

Thursday, February 19, 2009
A New Thing
Despair, I think, is the antonym for hope. Having chosen the word hope to dwell on this year, I suddenly find it wherever I turn. I hear it songs and sermons, read about it in scripture, Bible study and devotionals.

Yesterday, in my devotional reading in Oswald Chamber's "My Utmost For His Highest," he wrote about despair. He used as his example the time the disciples fell asleep in the garden when Jesus had asked them to watch and pray. When they realized what they had done they were filled with despair. They felt, in that moment, they could never make up for what they had done.

"The sense of the irreparable is apt to make us despair, and we say - 'It is all up now, it is no use trying any more.'"

How easily I can identify with such feelings. Whenever I fail do to something I know the Lord has asked me to do, or done what I know to be wrong I am very apt to sink into despair and have a "what's the use" attitude. I believe that is just what the enemy of our souls is after. How pleased he is when we give in to despair and allow our relationship to the Lord to suffer.

However, Jesus has a better way. "Whenever we realize that we have not done that which we had a magnificent opportunity of doing," writes Chambers, "then we are apt to sink into despair; and Jesus Christ comes and says -'Sleep on now, that opportunity is lost forever, you cannot alter it, but arise and go to the next thing.' Let the past sleep, but let it sleep on the bosom of Christ, and go out into the irresistible future with Him."

The answer is to let the past be washed in the blood of the Savior and to go on to the next thing He has. That is the glorious work of redemption and the amazing grace of our Lord. He never gives up on us. He is there to forgive us, to pick us up and dust us off and give us hope. The enemy would have us remain under the weight of guilt and shame, unable to muster up the energy to try again. Jesus extends a hand of forgiveness, mercy and grace.

"Never let the sense of failure corrupt your new action." concludes Chambers.

Behold, I will do a new thing; now shall it spring forth; shall ye not know it? I will even make a way in the wilderness, and rivers in the desert.
Isaiah 43:19





Blessings,
Linda
 
  posted at 9:11 AM
  11 comments



11 Comments:
At 1:10 PM, Blogger Abba's Girl said...

Amen Sister! When doubt and despair nags, we need to remember and believe:

Behold, I will do a new thing; now shall it spring forth; shall ye not know it? I will even make a way in the wilderness, and rivers in the desert.

Annette

 
At 1:20 PM, Blogger kelli said...

"Arise and go to the next thing!"

Yes, Linda, yes!!

I am so enjoying your journey with hope this year. You have grabbed hold of this word and are being twisted and turned by it...impacted in ways unfathomable.

I admire your willingness to be shaped by our Father in such a way. I also cherish your honesty in your struggles.

Thankfully He is in the despair, His hand holding us, ready to lift us out. However, let us not sink into the depths of that despair. It's hard, isn't it?

Be lifted out and arise, my friend, arise! The next thing awaits you!

Beautiful, Linda! Full of such hope!

 
At 3:44 PM, Blogger Ann Voskamp @Holy Experience said...

Linda...
My friend.
God uses you.
These words ministered to me deeply... words from a past pilgrim, words mixed with the truth of your lifestory, the love of your heart.
I so appreciate you, Linda -- Linda with heart of HOPE in HIM!

All my love,
Ann

 
At 3:57 PM, Blogger kelli said...

Hi, Linda...just got your comment about Malcolm and The Maiden's Bequest.
Malcolm is the book I'm giving away:) Unedited it is just one book, but when Michael Phillips edited it he divided it into 2. I haven't read it in a few years...I think it'll be my next one after Heather and Snow.

Let me know what you think...good or bad...once you start them! Enjoy Sense and Sensibility:)

 
At 4:37 PM, Blogger Aunt Angie said...

Linda--I love that. I am with you in the O. Chambers devotional! I missed yesterday...but today...hit me between the eyes. I love it---and also tighten my belt when God points something out to me!

You are a dear precious friend!

 
At 6:04 PM, Blogger Sandi said...

Very Good. I too read Chambers as my devotion before I put my feet on the floor each morning.

 
At 8:31 PM, Blogger grammy said...

Great thoughts for the day. Thanks

 
At 10:41 PM, Blogger Dawn said...

Beautiful. I will be printing this off and giving it to Kev - Satan has been trying very hard to get him off course of late.

I need to do Chambers again.

I've had a good workout with my word for the year this week - flexibility!

 
At 12:53 PM, Blogger Nancy said...

Great post Linda, with so much food for thought! I love these words from your scripture, that gives us all such HOPE, "Behold, I will do a new thing." May God bless you for the inspirational words that you share.

 
At 1:22 PM, Blogger Elisabeth Black said...

Despair, or despair masquerading as apathy or acedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sloth_(deadly_sin)

Thanks for your encouraging comments on my blog this week.

 
At 11:24 AM, Blogger Susie said...

Dear Linda,
Loved the inspirational words you shared today.
God has given you a gift in your ability to write so beautifully..
xo

 

Post a Comment

<< Home