About Me

Name: Linda

Location: Texas


I am a wife, mom and grandma. I am doing what I've wanted to do all my life. I am a Christian and I love the Lord.

My Complete Profile
Contact Me


Blogrolls
Family Friendly Blogroll [-]

A Group Blog for Christian Moms

Christian Women Online
Blog Ring

Join | List | Random

Recent Posts
Holding His Hand
A CHRISTMAS CAP FOR LARRY
A New Memeber of the Family
God With Us
Just Thinking
We Really Do Have Hills
Content
Back Home Where He Belongs
My Weekend
Pray

Archives
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
August 2009


Search


Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by:



Miscellaneous
Add Snippets to your site






Subscribe with Bloglines


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported License. Site Meter

Friday, November 21, 2008
Quilting Day
Yesterday I gathered my supplies together and headed to my Mom's to piece the top of a little quilt I wanted to make. I decided that since it is just made up of 5"x5" squares I would machine sew the top. Sounds simple enough I know. However, the sewing machine and I do not have a happy history. While I love doing all sorts of handwork, sewing is the one thing I just can't seem to get the knack of. I spend far more time ripping out than I do sewing - totally frustrating.

When I was growing up my Mom sewed all our clothes. I rarely had anything that was store bought. She did, and does, such beautiful work. She even made me a gorgeous maternity coat when I was expecting my first baby. It is my theory that the sewing gene skips a generation. At least, that's what happened in my case. But I decided to be brave and give it another try.




Mom got everything all set up for me. She wanted to give me a little head start I think.

Then it was time to begin. I actually didn't do too badly. I think I only jammed the machine once or twice up to this point. I laid out the little squares on the guest bed to be sure to get things in the right order, but true to form I managed to get some of them in the wrong order.



Time to break for lunch. My Mom always sets a lovely table - good china and all.

Refreshed - I hurried back to my sewing. I wanted to get the top done so I could put it together today and get to the hand-quilting part (which I can actually do). All went well until I began to put the borders on. After jamming the machine three more times - I stepped aside and let the professional take over. By now I was sweating bullets and ready to pull my hair out. Have I mentioned that I hate sewing?


In no time at all, the borders were on - and that silly machine never jammed one time. My Mom said it knows who its master is. I am convinced it didn't like me one bit.


After profusely thanking my infinitely patient Mom, we headed home. We were rewarded with a beautiful sunset. I do believe the Lord has a way with colors.


Here is my completed quilt top. It is just the right size for covering one's lap on a chilly night. Much more manageable than the Queen-sized one I did for my first quilt.


Here are a couple of close-ups of the pretty little squares. I love all the different fabrics. They came in a little bundle of forty squares - all pre-cut and ready to sew.


Now all I need to do is put together the top, batting and back, and I'm good to go. I'm praying I can manage that on my own. I foresee many desperate phone calls to my poor Mom.

In spite of the "feeling like tearing my hair out" sewing part, it was a sweet time with my Mom. She is one of the sweetest people you will ever meet. Everyone of my friends wants to adopt her when they meet her. I am so thankful she is my Mom.

Blessings,

 
  posted at 10:26 AM
  13 comments



13 Comments:
At 11:42 AM, Blogger Linds said...

Your Mum sounds just like mine, Linda, and everyone wants to adopt mine too! The quilt is beautiful! You can do all the rest by hand now, anyway, and I love handquilting with the warmth of the quilt on my lap on dark cold nights. I don't baste my quilts together, I use safety pins or the quilting gun. You will have great fun!

 
At 1:20 PM, Blogger Dawn said...

I think you and I and our moms should get together sometime!

I have no desire to quilt, but loved to sew garments when I was young and had good eyesight!

I don't show up on bloglines any more because of the privacy thing. But I do have the option of you being a "follower."

 
At 3:32 PM, Blogger Abba's Girl said...

My great grandmother, grandmother, and mother sewed...I do not and wish I did. I was too impatient when I tried to learn as a child and teen, if a seem was crooked or the machine jammed I had a breakdown and cried. (Though I didn't cry over things like broken arms)

Your quilt is beautiful. Love the pictures.

Annette

 
At 5:22 PM, Blogger Sandi said...

Very nice quilt. I think you saw the master makes things easy but He (she in this case)aways let us do our part.

 
At 7:08 PM, Blogger Carole Burant said...

You and I have the same type of relationship with the sewing machine! lol My mom use to sew all my clothes while growing up and even though I've tried making one dress, it was a nightmare and I never attempted anything else. My dad bought me a Singer sewing machine for my 19th birthday...it's in my closet, having been used maybe 3 times since then! lol

Your quilt turned out beautiful and I really love the colours in it. You can be very proud of yourself:-) Oh, and I'm glad to see you still have hair left! hehe xoxo

 
At 7:50 PM, Blogger Amy said...

Awesome! I hope i get better at quilting so I can make one just like that :-)

 
At 10:08 PM, Blogger the voice of melody said...

Beautiful quilt! And what a lovely table that your mom set for lunch. I like the special attention to details. :)

 
At 11:41 PM, Blogger grammy said...

How fun. My mom made all my clothes too. I do not have the gift. I like to sew a straight seam every now and then, it's the pattern that makes me crazy. Fun to spend time with your mom.

 
At 11:22 AM, Blogger Barb said...

This made me smile, Linda. You either love the sewing machine, or you hate it. If you hate it, forget about it. LOL

I rarely had store bought clothes either. Once I got into high school, I started making my own clothes. It feels like I've always sewn. Thankfully, the sewing machine and I are friends. But hand quilting? No thanks! I absolutely hate it. I've done it, but like you and the sewing machine, I didn't enjoy it.

Your quilt is so, so pretty. I love the different fabrics and especially the color scheme you chose.

 
At 10:26 PM, Blogger Aunt Angie said...

Linda...do I need to send you a headscarf to cover the places where you may have pulled out tooooomuch hair???

The quilt is beautiful! The table your mom set is inviting....can I pop over??

I loved this post. I did a post about our day today as well. Actually, it is almost 10:30 p.m. and I just finished said post. My back hurts and I didn't get NONE of the stuff completed that I wanted it...but it was still a very fun day!

Love you much dear friend and I hope the week is filled with blessings for your family!

 
At 8:30 PM, Blogger Susanne said...

I so know what you mean about sewing. I swear I break out in hives just from the thought of getting behind a machine. :v)

But didn't your quilt turn out lovely. Good for you for tackling it. Your mom sure does set a beautiful table. She sounds like a special lady.

 
At 10:22 PM, Blogger Jeremy said...

How wonderful! I love the lap quilt... it looks so cozy and so perfect to snuggle on the couch with. I got all teary eyed seeing your relationship with your mom. What a sweet and precious gift. Thank you so much for sharing!

 
At 11:06 PM, Blogger Shawna said...

These are really great pictures, Linda. The quilt is beautiful, and I bet your lunch tasted even better sitting at that pretty table.

I would like to learn to sew from your mom AND hang out in her neat sewing room! :0)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home