About Me

Name: Linda

Location: Texas


I am a wife, mom and grandma. I am doing what I've wanted to do all my life. I am a Christian and I love the Lord.

My Complete Profile
Contact Me


Blogrolls
Family Friendly Blogroll [-]

A Group Blog for Christian Moms

Christian Women Online
Blog Ring

Join | List | Random

Recent Posts
We Really Do Have Hills
Content
Back Home Where He Belongs
My Weekend
Pray
Choices
One Thousand Gifts
Tell Me the Story
Worship and Praise
Preemie Stocking Caps

Archives
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
August 2009


Search


Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by:



Miscellaneous
Add Snippets to your site






Subscribe with Bloglines


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported License. Site Meter

Thursday, November 13, 2008
Just Thinking
I have been conspicuously absent for the past few days. Life has just been busy. Thankfully it hasn't been "bad news busy" - just pleasantly filled with family and friends. I haven't found a way to do all those things and still keep up with blogging. I wish I could. I miss "chatting" with all of you, and I don't want to miss anything important! :-)

Monday was my birthday. Thank you for your sweet birthday wishes. It is so sweet to be remembered. Pea faithfully keeps track of all our special days. She is wonderful. My Mom and Dad came for a visit Sunday afternoon, and the kids and grandkids were here Monday evening. My daughter baked me a delicious hazelnut-chocolate birthday cake. I think the best present was sharing good conversation and lots of laughter with my grown children and sweet little granddaughters. The rest of the family in Dallas called and sang "Happy Birthday to Grandma". It is so sweet to hear all those voices singing. Later in the afternoon, the florist delivered a big bouquet of flowers from them to my front door. I had a very special day.

Yesterday was our last Bible Study for the fall session. We always have a luncheon that last day. I looked at those ladies sitting around our little table and felt so blessed. We've been together for several years now. We've shared from our hearts. There have been many tears shed (we've learned to have tissues handy) and much laughter. I have learned to so much from them. We've prayed each other through so many difficult times. I'm going to miss them over the next few months.

Our new study in the spring will be Beth Moore's new one on Esther. I'm really looking forward to it.

Our last session was on Psalm 139. That Psalm has been a life-line for me over the past several years. I thought I had gleaned everything from it that I could. I should have known better. The amazing thing about God's word is that there is always something new. It may be a passage I have read over and over many times, and then suddenly I see it in a new way.

Dee Brestin wrote, "How can we possibly know our hearts, our talents, our complex bodies, and our very souls? Only through the Spirit of God, who knit us together in our mother's womb, can we hope to have any true understanding of ourselves. He knows us so well, being familiar with all our ways, that it is only in submission to Him and through His revelation that we can have any hope of knowing ourselves."

I don't know if anyone else is like me. Even at this advanced age of sixty-two, I struggle to know who I really am. I get so perplexed whenever I try to answer one of those personality questionnaires. I stare at the choices and wonder which one truly and accurately describes me. And just exactly what are my gifts? Talents? - not terribly sure about those either.

So that portion of the lesson just quickened something in me. I can only truly know myself through the Father. I was reading The Message this morning and read this in the first chapter of John:
"He came to His own people, but they didn't want Him. But whoever did want Him, who believed He was who He claimed and would do what He said, He made to be their true selves, their child-of-God selves."

I want that to be who I really am - a child of God. As I live out each day, I don't need to be concerned with self and who that self is and what that self needs and wants - I simply submit to His will for my life and find fulfillment. I am then the wife, mother, grandmother, daughter, sister, friend ..... and so much more that He wants me to be. The gifts and the talents will flow through that.

Another of those questions that can easily confuse me is, "What is your passion?" I love doing lots of things - but my passion? I think now that I want my passion to be Him. Wouldn't that make all the things I love to do that much more fulfilling?

Perhaps I am the only one who struggles with such questions. I often think of myself as a little girl still struggling to finally grow up. I just look all grown up, old even :-), on the outside.

Tomorrow our little granddaughters are coming to spend the night. We will pick them up from school in the afternoon and then just have FUN!! We're looking forward to it. I probably won't get to visit much over the next few days, but I'll try to get caught up on sunday. See you soon.

Blessings,
 
  posted at 11:53 AM
  12 comments



12 Comments:
At 2:43 PM, Blogger grammy said...

Have fun with the grandchildren. Sometimes I feel the 'girl' me hiding out on the inside. Then I think to myself, "Is it just me, or does everyone feel young and old at the same time???" It's not a bad thing really. I can see God as my Daddy, and totally cherish being his little girl.

 
At 4:57 PM, Blogger Abba's Girl said...

Happy belated birthday. I think you will really like the Esther Study. I will buy a workbook to see what made it in and what was added to it from the original teaching/taping at 1st Baptist Houston. Have a great weekend with your grandchildren.

 
At 5:25 PM, Blogger Linds said...

You are not the only one, Linda. Me too. Who am I really? What are my talents? What is my passion? I am not sure either. Sigh. This is a life-long journey.

 
At 6:48 PM, Blogger Dawn said...

You are definitely not alone! But I love being on the quest with you and sharing with you the wonderful thoughts you write. You don't seem to realized what a deep thinker and talented writer you are!

What wonderful birthday you had. Have fun with the grands. I am really tired this evening after having all 4 for the afternoon - Katie is trying to help me type.

 
At 10:49 AM, Blogger Sandi said...

Linda
What is the name of the study by Dee, Was it on the Psalms? I am looking for a good study on Psalms.

 
At 1:12 PM, Blogger Jess said...

Those granddaughters aren't spoiked are they? And not by grandma at all huh? lol

I am 21 and I have been trying to figure out who I am and who I want to be since I turned 18.. I guess that's God's way of getting us to dig deeper and become closer to Him.

Good post.

Have a great weekend

 
At 2:23 PM, Blogger Susanne said...

I always struggle with the "What is your passion" question too!

Happy Belated Birthday to you. It sounds like it was a lovely day.

 
At 7:11 PM, Blogger Maxine said...

You're having a wonderful week! Seeing those granddaughters tomorrow sounds delightful. I'm jealous! And belated happy birthday to you!

 
At 12:07 AM, Blogger Jeremy said...

Thank you for sharing your heart. I'm glad you had a wonderful wonderful birthday and that you took some 'blog' time for you and your family. Enjoy your granddaughters this weekend!

 
At 9:51 AM, Blogger Nancy said...

What a great post! I struggle with those questions too! I think your insight is right on target... just let God be our passion! PERFECT!

Have a great weekend with the grands!

 
At 3:00 PM, Blogger Leslie said...

Happy belated birthday!

 
At 8:18 PM, Blogger ~~Deby said...

I hope your birthday was wonderful and you enjoyed your time with your grandchildren...
WHAT is your passion....there are so many things that I love and interest me....BUT I know if not done for God's Glory, ultimately it is FLUFF....with having a 43 year old brother in Hospice care at my sisters and spending time with him too...you really do start thinking about things, maybe tooooo much...but nonetheless, you realize that life, indeed is fleeting and we take nothing with us.....I guess I am feeling to introspective so should quit, here before I ramble about nonsense or thoughts that only make sense to me right now...

Deby

 

Post a Comment

<< Home