About Me

Name: Linda

Location: Texas


I am a wife, mom and grandma. I am doing what I've wanted to do all my life. I am a Christian and I love the Lord.

My Complete Profile
Contact Me


Blogrolls
Family Friendly Blogroll [-]

A Group Blog for Christian Moms

Christian Women Online
Blog Ring

Join | List | Random

Recent Posts
Worship and Praise
Preemie Stocking Caps
A Father-Son Project
Learning to Lean
Pruning
Our Walk
The Least
His Only Child
Don't Be Anxious
Sighing and Other Subtle Forms of Communication

Archives
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
August 2009


Search


Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by:



Miscellaneous
Add Snippets to your site






Subscribe with Bloglines


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported License. Site Meter

Monday, October 27, 2008
Tell Me the Story



I grew up in a Christian home and was saved at an early age. I have heard the stories lifted from the pages of scripture over and over again until they have become as familiar as my own family stories.

For years I took that fact for granted. In fact, there were times I wished I had a more "dramatic" salvation story. I listened to others telling how the Lord saved them from a life of absolute devestation and felt my story just didn't measure up.

I no longer feel that way. I realized long ago I had been given a great treasure. That precious truth was reenforced just this past wednesday in our small group Bible Study.

We were discussing Psalm 91. One of the ladies said it made her think of the story of Shadrach, Meshach and Abed-nego. We all voiced our agreement - all except the sweet lady sitting next to me. "I don't know that story." she said. We were all quiet for a moment, and then I began to tell her the story of the three young Hebrew boys who chose to be thrown into a fiery furnace rather than bow down and worship a golden idol.

When I finished, there were tears in her eyes. "I have never heard that story." We told her where to find it in her Bible, and she wrote it down saying she wanted to read it as soon as she got home.


It was such a beautiful picture for me of the grace God has poured into my life and the joy of seeing a searching heart find treasure. Those of you raising little ones now have the priceless privilege of filling your childrens' hearts and minds with the wonderful truths contained in the stories found in scripture. Just as I feel my heart filled with gratitude for parents who taught them to me (and sunday school teachers and pastors) - so will your children. Those stories will be woven into the fabric of their lives and will serve them well. I am so thankful for the Word.

Blessings,
 
  posted at 2:45 PM
  8 comments



8 Comments:
At 6:29 PM, Blogger Sandi said...

This is just what has been on my heart. I took over the children ministry at our church in Sept. One of the reasons I stepped forward was the children weren't getting the basic bible stories and I wanted to see them inbedded in their minds.

 
At 11:09 PM, Blogger grammy said...

We do tend to take for granit what we have been blessed with. I didn't grow up in a christian home or go to church much till I was asked to go to camp with a friend. I was hooked. Went every year and church and youth group too. I do remember when I first started, kids that had been attending all their life tended to be superior to us newbies. I had no idea how to look up bible verses and they were having sword drills...yikes...I am surprised now that I look back, that I was brave enough to go back. Funny memory.

 
At 8:44 AM, Blogger Abba's Girl said...

When I was younger I always thought I wish I had a dramatic, road to Damascus conversion story. When I got a little older, I was glad I didn't have a dramatic story, was grateful that I had grown up in a Christian home and even though I took a rebellious path for a few years, He welcomed me back w/ open arms.

Blessings and peace to you Linda.

 
At 3:05 PM, Blogger Dawn said...

I am so thankful that my Christian home life and my early love of Jesus saved me FROM so much that could have happened! Great story.

 
At 12:44 AM, Blogger tonia said...

indeed...a godly heritage is a profound gift. thanks for the reminder.

 
At 9:44 AM, Blogger Angela said...

A lovely story - it is VITAL that we pass on the Bible Stories - not just to the children, but to all those adults who have grown up without them too. I thank God for the privilege of growing up in achristian home, where Bibel stories were part of everyday life.

 
At 10:30 AM, Blogger Susanne said...

What an excellent post, Linda. The Word is so powerful even in story form.

 
At 2:58 PM, Blogger Maxine said...

Wonderful reminders in this post. There is so much richness in the Bible stories for our children. We must never take them for granted, and we can reach their young hearts in a marvelous way.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home