About Me

Name: Linda

Location: Texas


I am a wife, mom and grandma. I am doing what I've wanted to do all my life. I am a Christian and I love the Lord.

My Complete Profile
Contact Me


Blogrolls
Family Friendly Blogroll [-]

A Group Blog for Christian Moms

Christian Women Online
Blog Ring

Join | List | Random

Recent Posts
The Living Word
Scarlett O'Hara Here
Thankful Thursday
Praying For You
The Washer and Dryer are Hummin'
Gone on Vacation
His Chosen
On the Lighter Side
Thankful Thursday
Clouds and the Rock

Archives
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
August 2009


Search


Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by:



Miscellaneous
Add Snippets to your site






Subscribe with Bloglines


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported License. Site Meter

Monday, August 27, 2007
More Lessons Learned While Biking
I am beginning to make some progress as a cyclist. It is a good thing to have a partner when you begin something like this. My husband has been such a great encouragement to me. Every time I manage to make it up a big climb he is waiting there  to tell me I’ve done a good job. It’s amazing how much words of encouragement can give you the energy to try just a little harder. He also gets me up and out on those mornings I would just as soon not even look at my bike. Two definitely are better than one.

We started by riding three miles and have now made it up to fourteen miles. I really didn’t think I could do it. The first morning we decided to make the jump from seven miles to fourteen my heart was actually pounding with dread when we started out. I pictured myself laying on the side of the road somewhere – collapsed in a heap of utter exhaustion. But that didn’t happen. I actually made it!! I never would have tried that by myself.

I have learned all sorts of lessons while riding my bike. Just today I was thinking about how much learning to ride – to use the gears and pace myself – is like growing in faith. I have found that if I anticipate a difficult part of the ride way before I reach it and begin to shift down to a much easier gear, I get myself into trouble. By shifting too soon I end up with my legs spinning furiously without engaging the chain. All my effort is totally wasted. Then when I get to the upgrade I have no momentum to help carry me up the difficult part. If, however, I wait to shift just before I hit the climb, my momentum carries me forward and the easier gear makes the climb simple.

That is so much like my life. When I look too far ahead into the future, anticipating trouble down the road, I begin the useless process of worry and fear. I begin “spinning my legs” furiously trying to make sure everything will turn out all right. I imagine the Lord saying, “Don’t worry daughter. Just keep trusting in me, and when the time comes I will give you all you need to make it through.” His grace is always sufficient, but it is sufficient day by day. When I do face difficulties, the steady “momentum” of time spent with Him in prayer and in the Word will carry me up the difficult part.

Blessings,
 
  posted at 4:13 PM
  10 comments



10 Comments:
At 6:31 PM, Blogger someone else said...

Very wise and true words, Linda. Your thoughts are inspiring.

 
At 6:48 PM, Blogger Diane@Diane's Place said...

I've been known to spin my wheels occasionally myself. ;-)

Good word pictures, Linda.

Love and hugs,

Diane

 
At 9:22 PM, Blogger Susanne said...

I can so relate to spinning wheels! Love your bike lessons.

 
At 9:51 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

14 miles!? Wow! I don't think I could manage that! That's awsome how you're able to apply your faith and life lessons to biking!

 
At 9:38 AM, Blogger Cyndi said...

So, so true.

I'm so proud of you for learning cycling and piano as well. You're awesome!

We bicycled for years (pre-kids), even doing some 50+ mile rides down in your neck of the woods. I just loved it! It's forever made me VERY respectful of cyclists when I'm driving. :)

I'm loving your "lessons." Keep 'em coming!!

 
At 11:57 AM, Blogger Donnetta said...

Piano lessons and now biking. You are amazing!!!!

And of course your word pictures are a blessing!

 
At 1:54 PM, Blogger Dawn said...

You've done it again. Wowed me with your wonderful thoughts. And with your biking! I don't do hills, but I should! What a wonderful lesson again today.

I still say you need to publish!

 
At 3:45 PM, Blogger Aunt Angie said...

I loved that Linda...my husband just bought a new bike...wants us to "ride through the neighborhood"---yeah right! It's up the hill that is the killer!
Wonderful though-- the 14 miles!!! Incredible! My hat's off to you girl!
I am too old and out of shape!---well, actually I am in a shape...just not one that will look cute sittin' on a bike!
(Summertime weight gain--at least that's what I'm calling it!---just not saying how many summers!

 
At 9:18 PM, Blogger Susie said...

Oh Linda, thank you for this post. My wheels are stopping for now, and trying so hard to trust. Great insight as usual.

 
At 2:19 AM, Blogger Linds said...

Perfect analogy, Linda. I get just what you are saying. Wise words indeed!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home