Wednesday, June 13, 2007
As it happens, today is my husband’s birthday. I can’t think of anything or anyone better to write my Thankful Thursday post about:
1. I am thankful for his faith. His love for the Lord is evident in every thing he does. I have seen his faith remain strong in the face of health problems that would have literally destroyed me. His faith encourages me when I falter. I watch in amazement as he continues to offer praise and thanksgiving in the face of pain and suffering.
2. I am thankful for his tender heart. Of the two of us, he is the much more sensitive one. I have seen him cry with those who are hurting. He simply cannot drive by the disheveled man standing on the corner holding a sign that reads “Need help. Family starving.” His heart is so easily touched by anyone in need.
3. I am thankful for his giving heart. When he sees a need, he responds with more than anyone would ever ask. I’ve been know to gasp a bit when he tells me how much he wants to give to help someone or to support a ministry or meet a need. He is completely selfless. He doesn’t just give money. He gives of his time and talent wherever he can. He built our home and can fix just about anything. He can build a car from the engine out. He never hesitates when someone needs a helping hand. He doesn’t let physical limitations stand in the way. He does everything with his whole heart.
4 .I am thankful for his wonderful sense of humor. He is the master of the witty comment. He is so much fun. The grandkids are crazy about him. Whenever the family gathers, you will find him in the middle of a crowd of gleefully playing children. All the adults will be sitting around the table enjoying coffee and conversation, and Papa is off somewhere entertaining the kids.
5. I am thankful for his love – it is deep and steady and unfailing. He has forgiven me when I know I don’t deserve it. He puts my needs above his own – always. He buys me flowers for no reason, and he always opens the car door for me. I feel cherished and honored and protected.
6. I am thankful for his fearless spirit. He goes where I usually fear to tread. He isn’t afraid to try anything new. He is athletic and good at whatever he tries. He’s not quite as active these days, but there were days when he played a mean shortstop on several soft- ball teams, basketball, volleyball – just whatever happened to be going on. Just today we were riding our bikes down a steep hill, and he was going full speed ahead. He didn’t even slow down to make the turn into the school driveway. If I wasn’t afraid of falling off my bike, I would have shut my eyes. He’s the adventurous one. I’m the one yelling, “Be careful!!”
7. I have known him nearly all my life and have spent the past forty years of my life as his wife. We went to the same church and the same schools. We started going together in high school. We’ve grown up together through the good times and the difficult times. The love grows deeper and richer, the days are precious. I am thankful that we will be together for eternity.
Happy Birthday Honey!!
For more Thankful Thursday posts visit Iris at Sting My Heart.
Oh - and that little cutie with Papa is our youngest granddaughter.