About Me

Name: Linda

Location: Texas


I am a wife, mom and grandma. I am doing what I've wanted to do all my life. I am a Christian and I love the Lord.

My Complete Profile
Contact Me


Blogrolls
Family Friendly Blogroll [-]

A Group Blog for Christian Moms

Christian Women Online
Blog Ring

Join | List | Random

Recent Posts
The Hurriedder I Go, The Behinder I Get!!
Bread of Life
Legacy
Reveal
Thank You For Being You
Sunday Afternoon
Oswald Chambers on Prayer
The Blessing of a New Look
Life Without the Son
40th Wedding Anniversary

Archives
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
August 2009


Search


Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by:



Miscellaneous
Add Snippets to your site






Subscribe with Bloglines


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported License. Site Meter

Friday, February 02, 2007
Appointments With God
In our bathroom is a little step stool my husband made for the kids when they were little. Now that they are grown and in homes of their own that little blue and white stool has become my book shelf. There it sits – within easy reach with little booklets and magazines stacked on its little back. I can’t bear to sit still even for a few minutes without something to read.

The other day the title of one of the booklets caught my eye. “Keeping Our Appointments with God”. I had read it quite some time ago, but for some reason that title just sparked something in my heart. The name of God seemed, in my mind’s eye, to be a foot tall and in dark bold print. I have the opportunity to keep an appointment with God. I have all sorts of appointments written in the little squares of our calendar – dentist, doctor, meetings, hair, the pest control guy, to name a few – and I am very conscientious about keeping them. The time is written in too – so I will never be late if I can possibly help it.

I thought about my appointments with God. Do I even have a definite time? Am I as concerned about keeping that appointment as I am, say, my dental cleaning? It isn’t that the other appointments aren’t important; they are. The people involved are important as well. They deserve my consideration. And what of God?

We have been studying what it means to “Call upon the Lord” in our Bible Study. When I call His name – I am tapping into all that His name means. All that He is and can do is available to me. It is so immense; it is hard to take it all in. The great God, who spoke the world into being is there waiting for me to keep my appointment with Him. The mighty God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob bends down to listen to my prayer. He waits with open arms for me to rest in Him. He longs to speak to my heart. How is it I don’t fully realize the miraculous privilege that is mine?

I decided to remind myself of what some of the names of the Lord are and what they mean for me as His child:

Elohim - Powerful God Genesis 1:1

Adonai - Lord Genesis 15:2

El Elyon - God Most High Genesis 14:19,20

El Shaddai - Almighty God Genesis 17:1

Yahweh - Israel's Covenantal God Exodus 3:14

Jehovah Jireh - The Lord Provides Genesis 22:14

Jehovah Rophe - The Lord Heals Exodus 15:26

Jehovah Nissi - The Lord is My Banner Exodus 17:15,16

Jehovah Mekadesh - The Lord Who Sanctifies You Leviticus 20:8

Jehovah Shalom - The Lord is Peace Judges 6:24

Jehovah Tsidkenu - The Lord is Our Righteousness Jeremiah 23:6

Jehovah Rohi - The Lord is My Shepherd Psalm 23:1

Jehovah Shammah - The Lord is There Ezekiel 48:35

This is the One who calls us to come.


Blessings,
Linda
 
  posted at 4:06 PM
  12 comments



12 Comments:
At 5:35 PM, Blogger Carole Burant said...

Unfortunately a lot of us only keep appointments with God when we can "fit Him in" our busy schedule. I know that's wrong, He should be the first one we think of. Thank you for reminding me of that! Hugs xox

 
At 6:00 PM, Blogger Lori said...

That sounds like a very good book. I think I will see if we have it in my church's library.

 
At 9:50 PM, Blogger Pamela said...

Linda, thank goodness we don't have to make an appointment with God. It is good to know that he is always with us, always faithful! It is a good reminder to call upon him. I try hard to give him all the praise and to trust his lead.

Go Colts! Win! :)

 
At 1:49 AM, Blogger Christina said...

Great post. I am so glad you posted the names in the Bible and their meanings. I want to make a little poster of this to hang in my kitchen so I can look at it all the time.

 
At 8:44 AM, Blogger Dawn said...

Beautiful. I have a time and place, but sometimes miss my appointment because less important things take its place. Thanks for the reminder!

 
At 8:45 AM, Blogger Dawn said...

I thought I could find your e-mail, but I can't. Can you pleae e-mail it to me? My address is on my site.

 
At 12:21 PM, Blogger TheNormalMiddle said...

I love to read the names of God. My favorite is I AM. Because it is the everything all in one, in my book :)

By the way, I asked my hubby why he wanted the colts to win and he said it was because he liked Peyton Manning, so there ya go :)

 
At 5:48 PM, Blogger Dawn said...

Okay, now you need to go back and read my edit!

 
At 6:22 PM, Blogger Sue Seibert said...

Yes, Pea, I agree. We tend to "fit God in" and keep other appointments much more regularly. He is there all the time, not just 8-12 on Sunday, and we should always have our hearts and minds open to His presence and love with thanksgiving.

 
At 9:40 PM, Blogger Susie said...

Hi Linda,
I'm going to look for this book. Great reminders and wonderful post Linda!
hugs!

 
At 8:58 AM, Blogger Werna Gail said...

Great post Linda, and yes He is with us all of the time, He's as close as the mention of his name.I am calling on Him as healer this morning as I pulled a muscle in my back the other day, thanks for reminding me He is our EVERYTHING.

 
At 9:16 AM, Blogger Tammy said...

This is such a wonderful reminder, Linda, of how the busyness of life can so easily get in the way. God wants to be first and a part of it all. Great post and I also loved your listing of His names and meanings!
Blessings!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home