About Me

Name: Linda

Location: Texas


I am a wife, mom and grandma. I am doing what I've wanted to do all my life. I am a Christian and I love the Lord.

My Complete Profile
Contact Me


Blogrolls
Family Friendly Blogroll [-]

A Group Blog for Christian Moms

Christian Women Online
Blog Ring

Join | List | Random

Recent Posts
Sunday Afternoon
Oswald Chambers on Prayer
The Blessing of a New Look
Life Without the Son
40th Wedding Anniversary
An Afternoon Chat
A Fun Book Meme And A Question About "24"
Blessed Be Your Name
PRAYER
The Answer - For Now - Is No

Archives
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
August 2009


Search


Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by:



Miscellaneous
Add Snippets to your site






Subscribe with Bloglines


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported License. Site Meter

Tuesday, January 23, 2007
Thank You For Being You
Hebrews 3:13 "But encourage one another day after day, as long as it is still called 'Today', lest any one of you be hardened by the deceitfulness of sin."

The unexpected blessing of blogging has been the very real intertwining of our hearts. Thank you so much for your encouraging, loving, accepting comments. You have lifted my spirit. The burden is so much lighter when you know you aren't alone. You are all a gift from the Lord.

Today is my Dad's 87th birthday. My husband and I are going to my Mom and Dad's after my piano lesson this afternoon to celebrate!! As soon as my Mom heard we were coming she said we simply had to stay for supper. That 's my Mom. She is "home" - so warm and loving and welcoming. We are blessed to still have both of them in our lives.

My Dad is doing so well for his age. He is the one who got us all going on the computer. He loves the challenge of learning new things. He is able to do things with his computer I would never attempt. Of course he has run into problems while experimenting, but his attitude is "I'll just start all over again."

He is a veteran of WWII and was part of the D-Day invasion. His unit, the 29th Division, landed on Omaha beach. It is fascinating to listen to his stories. He remembers every detail as though it happend just yesterday. He never fails to say it was only by God's grace that he survivied. He didn't know the Lord as Savior then, but he looks back and sees how God's hand of protection was on him all those long three years.

He loves a good joke too. Of course his idea of a good joke can sometimes be just a tad annoying. For instance, picture all of us totally engrossed in a television program where the scarey music is rising in a crescendo, the villian is about to get the hero - and my Dad will yell and clap his hands thereby causing everyone to jump out of their skin. He thinks this is just hysterical - we, not so much. You would think by now we would be on to him, but here we are all these years later still jumping out of our skin!!

He is a hard worker. He and my Mom bought an old one hundred year plus house when I was in my early teens because my Mom just loves anything "antique" and because it was all they could afford. For five years he worked on restoring that house every evening after working all day. He did an amazing job. (If I didn't have all my pictures packed away in cardboard boxes I'd show you the house - aarrgh.)

He loves a good "discussion" and will often take the opposite side just for the sake of argument. I tend to be the proverbial apple that didn't fall far from the tree and will do the same thing. We can really get going some times. Inevitably the next day he will come and say something like "I was just trying to get you to defend your arguement. You were right." We have both mellowed over the years - you'll be relieved to know.

He has always been there for us. He is a man of faith, integrity, and love. He loves the Lord; he loves his family; and we love him dearly.

Happy Birthday Dad.

Tomorrow is my "busy" day. Bible Study begins again (halleluliah!!). Then in the afternoon we do the choir folders. Choir practice is in the evening. So I probably won't be able to even turn the computer on tomorrow. I'll be back on Thursday.

Thank you again dear hearts. You are the best.

Blessings,
Linda
 
  posted at 10:07 AM
  14 comments



14 Comments:
At 11:08 AM, Blogger someone else said...

Linda, your parents sound so wonderful. I love your reference to your mom as "home." How true that is.

Several years ago we "interviewed" and videotaped my husband's parents to preserve their memories and stories. We were going to do the same thing with my Dad who had so many fabulous stories from his Army days, but he became too ill and we missed that opportunity. I'd recommend you doing that with your parents, if you get the chance.

We then had copies made for all my husband's siblings.

 
At 1:08 PM, Blogger Tammy said...

This was such a sweet post to read. Your parents do sound wonderful!
And your dad is a real-life hero. A very Happy Birthday to him!

My mom turns 80 this year, and she also loves to try new things- even her own blog. We can learn so much from that generation.

Blessings!

 
At 4:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your new look! It is beautiful. What a great post highlighting your dad. He sounds like a great guy!

 
At 5:13 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

Happy birthday to your dad! Thanks for giving us a glimpse into who he is...sounds like he's led a long, full and happy life!

 
At 6:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, blogging has been a great blessing to me, as well. I had hip surgery and then high blood pressure, and the friends I have made on the internet have been so helpful and encouraging.

Happy birthday to your dad. I hope you have a swell celebration.

 
At 9:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Blogging friends have definitely been an encouragement to me. Glad it was the same for you!

Happy Birthday to your dad!

 
At 10:40 PM, Blogger Dawn said...

I'm so glad you feel better today. Your dad sounds a lot like mine. My dad lovese to tell stories - as Morning Glory mentioned. The videos are priceless with both of my parents.

Have a wonderful day full of enjoyment!

 
At 10:46 PM, Blogger Carole Burant said...

Happy Birthday to your dad...he sounds so delightful!! I can just picture him yelling out and scaring the beejeebers out of all of you while watching a scary movie! LOL I'm sure you had a wondeful time with him and your mom this evening:-) He certainly did have quite a fascinating life and I would love to listen to his stories! Hugs xoxo

 
At 11:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a beautiful tribute to your Dad. It is amazing how much we can learn from our fathers and even moreso our Father in Heaven!

Hugs!

 
At 12:03 AM, Blogger Pamela said...

Linda, Your father sounds like such a wonderful man a true "Hero" in every sense of the word. Hope he has a very Happy Birthday!

Faith, integrity and love are wonderful personal traits. My goodness, it is so amazing that your dad was a veteran of WWII and was part of the D-Day invasion. Every time I watch documentaries about D-Day on Omaha Beach, it could only be explained that they survived by the grace of God, indeed.

Sometimes it can be a interesting to have someone challenge our mind...play the advocate, my Dad was like that too. Wishing him a year filled with good health and happy blessings! :)

 
At 12:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday to your dad. Your parent's sound like they are amazing people. It is really cool that your dad is so into the computer. My dad is 73 and he is the same way. I would love to be able to sit and hear your dad's stories about his time in the Army. This always interests me with hubby being a soldier. I met a guy on the Arizona once that had an actual newspaper from way back when. He was very old and he was there with his wife. I sat with him for about an hour and he told the most amazing stories from that time. I actually had more fun listening to him than being on the Arizona. He just fascinated me. You and your dad sound a lot like me, I love to play devils advocate and be on the opposite side of an argument. Have a great time with your parent's and I hope your dad has a great birthday and many more.

 
At 8:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a precious tribute to your parents. I hope so much that my kids would describe me as "home" someday.

Happy birthday to your sweet Dad!!

 
At 10:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Linda,
My bloglines isn't behaving right, and somehow I missed this post. Just wanted to wish your Dad a belated Happy Birthday. How blessed you are to have both your parents.
hugs!

 
At 11:52 AM, Blogger Shawna said...

Your mom and dad sound fantastic. How neat that he loves to learn so much. Wish he were here to help me learn more computer stuff! Happy birthday to him!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home