About Me

Name: Linda

Location: Texas


I am a wife, mom and grandma. I am doing what I've wanted to do all my life. I am a Christian and I love the Lord.

My Complete Profile
Contact Me


Blogrolls
Family Friendly Blogroll [-]

A Group Blog for Christian Moms

Christian Women Online
Blog Ring

Join | List | Random

Recent Posts
A Fun Book Meme And A Question About "24"
Blessed Be Your Name
PRAYER
The Answer - For Now - Is No
A Few Thoughts Before Bedtime
My New Year's Goal
New Mercies
HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!
MERRY CHRISTMAS DEAR FRIENDS
Not So Final Word

Archives
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
August 2009


Search


Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by:



Miscellaneous
Add Snippets to your site






Subscribe with Bloglines


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported License. Site Meter

Thursday, January 11, 2007
An Afternoon Chat
It is a gloomy day here in South Texas. It isn’t cold, but they are predicting a cold front by Sunday evening. I just made a big pot of escarole soup. Even though it isn’t cold, I thought it was gloomy enough to make soup seem like a good idea. While it simmers, I thought we could chat for a bit.

I am so glad to see we aren’t the only ones who don’t watch “24”. We don’t have cable, and the television programming lately has been just increasingly awful. We watch some of the reality shows and a couple of game shows. If there is some sort of sporting event on we watch that. I say “we”. My husband watches, and I read. I heard so much about “24” I thought it might be a show we would enjoy and look forward to week after week. Now I’m not so sure. I think I’ll tape it and then give it a try. Thanks so much for commenting on it. It isn’t exactly one of life’s deep questions.

For those of you who thought you might like to read the book I did for the meme, it is the fourth in a series. The first book is “Maisie Dobbs”. The only thing I don’t really like about them is the use of meditation and far Eastern practices. I do like the time period, and the story – line is good. The heroine, Maise, is a little servant girl in a great English manor house. The mistress notices her voracious appetite for learning and takes her under her wing. Her tutor is a man who includes those practices as part of her education when she is older. She uses them in her detective work. That’s probably more information than you ever wanted.

Our Pastor is taking us through the Bible in a year. His sermons each week are based on the scripture reading for that particular week. I’ve read through the Bible before, but this is a great way to do it. Of course, he has to “talk fast” and pull out one main thought. He spoke about Abraham last weekend and how obedient he was.

It’s funny – well amazing really – how the Lord will emphasize something in scripture. A truth He really wants to plant deep in your heart. When I read the portion of Genesis where the Lord talked to Abraham about the covenant He would make with him, I was struck by Abraham’s instant obedience. The Lord told Abraham his part of the covenant was to be circumcised and to circumcise all the males of his household. In Genesis 17:23 it says “ Then Abraham took Ishmael his son, and all the servants who were born in his house and all who were bought with his money, every male among the men of Abraham’s household, and circumcised the flesh of their foreskin in the very same day, as God had said to him.” Abraham was totally obedient. Just as he had been when God told him to move his family from Haran to the land that He would show him. He didn’t wait to see if perhaps he had heard the Lord correctly or to poll the people in his family or to pray more about it. He did exactly what the Lord told him to do – immediately.

It was the same when God told him to sacrifice his beloved son, his only son, as a burnt offering. Genesis 22: 3 tells us “…Abraham rose early in the morning…” He left the next morning in complete obedience to do what the Lord had asked him to do. Our Pastor pointed out that Abraham didn’t do any of the incredible things someone like Moses or Elijah did. What we see most clearly about him is his absolute obedience whenever the Lord asked him to do something.
When I think of how I equivocate when the Lord puts something on my heart He wants me to do – and it isn’t something I’m particularly comfortable with – I feel so convicted. I tend to overanalyze and discuss and question until I hardly know what to do at all. Too often I end up doing nothing – or do it dragging my heels and complaining. As I think about it, I realize there is always blessing that follows my obedience. I can’t help but wonder if the blessing would have been more had I obeyed without question the way Abraham did.

I am so thankful for the people who come to life through the pages of scripture. They are so real. Abraham certainly had his failings, but God blessed him in such a special way. I can learn so much by studying their lives. I am so thankful for the Word.

Blessings,
Linda
 
  posted at 4:25 PM
  14 comments



14 Comments:
At 7:18 PM, Blogger Dawn said...

I have never watched 24 - my son really likes it, and I recently learned that my niece's husband is a fanatic. But it doesn't interest me. So you're not weird!

Thanks for your comments on today's posts for Kristen and me. This has been a very emotional experience for me, and I'm learning things I never knew about what she went through. Amazing, isn't it? I posted my Part II just now.

 
At 7:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a nice little Bible Study. I will have to check out the book Maisie Dobbs.

I think I have watched part of "24" once. But, we only get two stations and like you stated, rarely if ever is there anything really worth watching.

I got the movie "Giant" for Christmas, James Dean, Elizabeth Taylor... Splendid! Now, that is something worth watching but for the most part I read books.

 
At 8:45 PM, Blogger Nancy said...

I agree... the Bible is so inspirational with a message each time it is read. I can even read the same verse years from now and it will mean something different to me at that time. God just meets us right where we are at the time! God is good... thanks for sharing.

 
At 8:59 PM, Blogger Erin said...

I just wanted to come over to leave you a note to say how much I appreciate you and your sweet comments. Your comments are always thoughtful and encouraging. You are a precious lady, and I am thankful for you!

 
At 12:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I enjoyed rethinking some of the events in Abrahams life. I teach the 11 year olds in Sunday School and we just covered Abraham, and yes I think there are great blessings to obedience. I've never seen 24. Are you or any of your blog friends making ATCs ?

 
At 1:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We're going through Genesis in my young moms Bible Study right now and it's really fascinating. I never knew Genesis was so interesting. It is amazing how those men in Bible times were so unquestionably obedient.

Thanks for coming by the other day! I hadn't seen you in so long I was wondering if you were mad at me! :-) Glad to see you .

 
At 6:08 PM, Blogger Donnetta said...

It may not be cold there... it is cold here! We woke up to ZERO this morning. BBBRRRR....

I too am so very thankful for the Word and the examples we have of how God uses the lives of just ordinary human beings, if we are just willing and submissive to Him!

 
At 6:21 PM, Blogger Tammy said...

I love reading about the real people in the Bible also...I learn so much1

I keep hearing about this "24" but I've never seen it. However, from what I've heard it's pretty intense, and I just can't watch intense shows...I'm too intense at it is! ;)

Have a great weekend!
~tammy

 
At 9:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I've been thinking so much about Abraham lately, as that's where I am in my through-the-year Bible, too. That he believed God and it was "credited to him as righteousness" really inspires me. His belief was certainly evident in his immediate obedience. I want that quality!

 
At 9:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Let me know how you like "24." I always hear stuff about this one. I can't figure out why it doesn't appeal to me. Is it on Tuesday? Tuesday I watch House and I can't stop watching this one. I am so hooked.

I am always struggling with "acts of obedience" and you put this all so well. I was talking with hubby on this subject the other day so I think I will forward him this link so he can read what you wrote. Well said.

 
At 9:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Linda,
Thanks for coming by my 100th post. You are so sweet and encouraging to me. I read the one-year bible each year. It keeps me on track having a little old testament, a little new and a psalm and proverb each day. I am also in Genesis. I always love rereading the faithfulness of Abraham.

 
At 10:58 PM, Blogger Pamela said...

Abraham's faithfulness is truly inspiring and makes me question myself. I am so glad the angel came down and told him to sacrifice the lamb instead.

I have read Genesis so many times and it never ceases to amaze me how I will pick up on something different every time.

 
At 11:36 AM, Blogger Carole Burant said...

Dearest Linda...I love reading your posts and am always touched at how much faith you have! It's a wonderful feeling isn't it!! Abraham certainly could teach us quite a few things! Hope your weekend is as wonderful as you are:-) Hugs xoxo

 
At 1:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It has been very gloomy here in Michigan as well.

Very nice study!

Blessings,

Lori

 

Post a Comment

<< Home