About Me

Name: Linda

Location: Texas


I am a wife, mom and grandma. I am doing what I've wanted to do all my life. I am a Christian and I love the Lord.

My Complete Profile
Contact Me


Blogrolls
Family Friendly Blogroll [-]

A Group Blog for Christian Moms

Christian Women Online
Blog Ring

Join | List | Random

Recent Posts
Beary Word Meme
Pellumb
A Giving Heart
Living Water
Taking The Bait
The Dancer
Home
GONE CAMPING!!
Bowing Down to the Golden Statue and My September ...
Stephanie

Archives
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
August 2009


Search


Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by:



Miscellaneous
Add Snippets to your site






Subscribe with Bloglines


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported License. Site Meter

Monday, September 25, 2006
Christian Mediocrity
I love Bible Study. I find it helps me to be more disciplined in studying the Word. I learn so much as I work through the teaching and answer the questions. Every bit of it ministers to me in some way, but sometimes there will be one simple statement that hits me right between the eyes. I am brought up short, and I know that God has spoken a word into my heart.

While I was working on my study yesterday, I came to this sentence from Beth Moore’s “Daniel” workbook: “For some, the flow of the world can be easier to resist than the flow of Christian mediocrity”. Oh my……it hit me right where I live.

I don’t have a hard time resisting the obvious traps Satan uses. I can easily go against the flow of today’s society. After all, what does it cost me? I have a hard time numbering the unbelievers among my acquaintance, let alone friends. I don’t go out into the workplace. All of my social activities involve the church and Christian friends. I lead a very insulated life.

I’m afraid it is a life of Christian mediocrity. I don’t step outside of my comfort zone very often, if at all. I need a Bible Study in order to spend disciplined time in the Word. Finding time for prayer is so difficult – after all the day is so full of things that must be done. Am I doing just enough to be a part of the Christian Community without standing out as too “radical” – too “different”? Do I have a passion for lost souls? Do I pray with compassion for those who are suffering for their faith? Am I willing to give up my comfortable life for a life of real sacrifice?

I’m just sort of “thinking out loud” here. What would it mean to be more that a mediocre Christian? Lately my prayer has been to see more of God’s glory and power in our every day lives. Could it be that God wants more of me first? And what would that mean? What would I have to give up? Would I have to go to the jungles and preach to the natives? (Don’t laugh. When I was a child, I used to think that if I truly surrendered my life to the Lord I would find myself on the next flight to deepest, darkest Africa!). What would be the cost, and what is the cost if I continue in mediocrity?

Dear Lord,
I don’t want to be “luke warm”. I know what you said about the church in Revelation that was. Please work in my life to make me a radical Christian. Knowing my own personality, that seems like an impossible thing. I am so conservative by nature. I want you to put a burning passion in my heart to simply be all that You created me to be. I give you my heart. I give You my life. Fill me and enable me to truly do these things Father. Whatever that “looks like” in my life; I want it.

In the precious, holy name of Jesus,
Amen


Blessings,
Linda
 
  posted at 4:24 PM
  4 comments



4 Comments:
At 6:14 PM, Blogger someone else said...

With mediocrity being so easy to achieve, it's really hard to move beyond it sometimes. I hear you.

Good food for thought.

 
At 8:51 AM, Blogger Pamela said...

Linda, I don't think you are "luke warm" at all, I think your blog is "red hot"! Very radical at times from my perspective! lol You touch us in more ways than you realize, just by blogging. Great, small, we all play an important roll and all are precious to be called "his children". I struggle with the thought of mediocrity too, or doing too little, but I strive to be whole in where I am, with the knowledge that I strive to reach out and touch others in need, when I volunteer, or mentor, or just be a friend. There are many levels of being a good Christian. You are a great friend!

 
At 8:56 AM, Blogger Lori said...

This was a very nice post. I agree with you, I don't want to be luke warm . I want to be 100 percent commented to the Lord.

 
At 9:11 PM, Blogger Katrina @ Callapidder Days said...

Wow Linda, excellent post. I think that the church is overflowing with Christian mediocrity - and it's a very dangerous thing. You're talking directly to me in this post - I fear this is a trap I fall into on a regular basis.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home