About Me

Name: Linda

Location: Texas


I am a wife, mom and grandma. I am doing what I've wanted to do all my life. I am a Christian and I love the Lord.

My Complete Profile
Contact Me


Blogrolls
Family Friendly Blogroll [-]

A Group Blog for Christian Moms

Christian Women Online
Blog Ring

Join | List | Random

Recent Posts
Living Water
Taking The Bait
The Dancer
Home
GONE CAMPING!!
Bowing Down to the Golden Statue and My September ...
Stephanie
SHEP
Some Things I've Learned
Wearing Glasses

Archives
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
August 2009


Search


Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by:



Miscellaneous
Add Snippets to your site






Subscribe with Bloglines


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported License. Site Meter

Thursday, September 21, 2006
A Giving Heart
In our Bible Study yesterday we talked about King Nebuchadnezzar’s great failure to show mercy to the poor and oppressed in his kingdom. He was so full of pride at what he considered to be his own power and greatness, and so content and satisfied with his own luxurious lifestyle, he failed to see the great need around him.

The parallel to our world today was obvious. I have to admit to feeling a twinge of guilt for not being as concerned about others as I ought to be. It isn’t until a huge need arises on the scale of a tsunamis or hurricane that I become involved or even aware. My main thought throughout that part of the discussion, however, was my husband. He is the most selfless, giving person I know – bar none.

Whenever there is a need, he is the first to reach into his pocket to give. I on the other hand am always thinking, “Can we really afford to do that?”, because he gives sacrificially. The money doesn’t come out of our budget. He has what he calls his “stash” – money he has earned doing little extra jobs or selling car parts at Swap Meets – and he gives that money. He just amazes me with his generosity. I know he blesses everyone he touches with his humble way of giving.

I have seen God honor that in his life. There was a time when everything fell apart at once for us. My husband was laid off from work (in a very underhanded kind of way – but that’s another story) and at the same time began to lose his eyesight from complications with type 1 diabetes (he has since lost the vision completely in his right eye and has fairly decent vision in the left). We had no income and were trying to get his Veterans Disability and Social Security straightened out. What a nightmare!! We were really in a very difficult situation.

But God…..we would go to church on Sunday and someone would put an envelope containing money in my husband’s hand with the gentle comment, “The Lord told me to give this to you.” Our Home Ministry group took up a collection for us. During that time, we had more money than we had had from his weekly salary. It was miraculous.

It was a little difficult for my generous “Giver” to be on the receiving end of so much generosity, but he learned that he needed to allow others to be blessed as they blessed us. Thankfully everything worked out with his disability, and during the time we were without income we never were in want of a single thing.

God is good. He is faithful, and He honors our faithfulness as well. I have seen it over and over again. We cannot out-give Him. The blessings are not always material, but they are always just exactly what we need. I am so honored to share my life with someone who models daily faithfulness in suffering, sacrificial giving and a heart that is easily touched by the needs of others. He is a wonderful example to me of Christ-like love, and I am so thankful for him.

Blessings,
Linda
 
  posted at 12:26 PM
  6 comments



6 Comments:
At 1:47 PM, Blogger someone else said...

It really is wonderful how God supplies the needs and blesses all those involved. He is so unfailingly constant.

 
At 2:53 PM, Blogger Diane@Diane's Place said...

I have seen God bless like this in my life time after time. I need to have a more giving heart, too. It's not that I don't give, but I need to be prodded to see the needs and opportunities around me.

You are blessed with your husband, Linda. :-)

 
At 2:54 PM, Blogger Barb said...

You're blessed with your husband. He sounds like a wonderful man. And I had no idea about his eyesight. My son-in-law has diabetes. Juvenile diabetes. I didn't know much about it at all until my daughter married him. The things I know now can be a little frightening. I'm sure you take very good care of him.

 
At 3:48 PM, Blogger Pamela said...

Linda, you have a sweet affectionate warm spirit that is woven of gold girl! It makes me so happy hearing the love in your words for your wonderful husband, you are both so blessed to have each other. God is Great!

 
At 5:28 PM, Blogger Dawn said...

Wow, I've missed several days here, I see.

Re Bodie Thoene - she wrote the Zion Chronicles series first, so when she wrote Zion Covenant, it was chronologically prior to the Chronicles. So I had to read the Covenant, then re-read the Chronicles. I guess that means I'm on the third time through the Covenant. I'm not sure I'll do all the Chronicles again. Great writing!

 
At 10:25 PM, Blogger Donnetta said...

We truly never can outgive God. That is such an overwhelming thought to me!

Thanking God for the loving, giving spirit of both of you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home