About Me

Name: Linda

Location: Texas


I am a wife, mom and grandma. I am doing what I've wanted to do all my life. I am a Christian and I love the Lord.

My Complete Profile
Contact Me


Blogrolls
Family Friendly Blogroll [-]

A Group Blog for Christian Moms

Christian Women Online
Blog Ring

Join | List | Random

Recent Posts
The Dancer
Home
GONE CAMPING!!
Bowing Down to the Golden Statue and My September ...
Stephanie
SHEP
Some Things I've Learned
Wearing Glasses
God's Word
Service?

Archives
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
August 2009


Search


Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by:



Miscellaneous
Add Snippets to your site






Subscribe with Bloglines


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported License. Site Meter

Monday, September 18, 2006
Taking The Bait
We went fishing while we were on our camping trip last week. I love to fish which is surprising since I don’t have a great deal of patience. Standing at the water’s edge or sitting in a boat with a line dangling in the water just waiting doesn’t seem like something I would want to do, but I like it. There is something very peaceful and calming about it. I used to go with my Dad when I was a little girl. He was extremely patient – not just waiting for the fish to bite but baiting my hook and getting it out of the trees after my feeble attempts at casting. It was fun even when we didn’t catch anything.

The place we were camping last week is right on the Frio River.
The water is so clear we could see the fish swimming around as we got everything ready to go. We couldn’t wait to get our lines in the water. Once in, we didn’t have to wait long. Those little dabbers (spell-check said it should be spelled this way – I'm not so sure) were bobbing up and down immediately. It was so exciting until we actually pulled the fish out of the water. They were too tiny to even consider keeping.

I know there were big (really BIG) fish in that river. I saw them myself. In fact, I dropped my line with a big, fat, juicy worm dangling on the end of it right in front of the face of a HUGE one – and he just swam away!! Totally frustrating!! We tried over and over again to get that fish, and he just wasn’t biting.

I was thinking about that today. I thought about how Satan tries to bait me. He dangles something in front of me and waits for me to swallow the hook. I could react like the little fish and immediately bite. Hopefully I’ve gotten a little wiser over the years and don’t too that as often anymore.

Howevwe,there was one other “character” in this little fishing story. Our friend thought he had a big one which turned out to be a snapping turtle. He wasn’t badly hooked, so he took him off and released him far downstream. About a half hour later, my son reeled in the same turtle. He had apparently not learned his lesson.
This time I took him far, far away so he wouldn't get caught again, but my son said that long before I got back to our fishing spot the turtle had already returned.

I am afraid that this is much more like me. I can avoid the obvious pitfalls, but there are some things the enemy knows I will fall for every time. Like that little turtle, I see the bait and somewhere in my mind I know I shouldn’t bite. But either it looks like something that really won’t do much harm, or I seem helpless to keep from swallowing that hook. There are times I am in a familiar situation, and I know if I react in a certain way it will only make things worse. It isn’t anything new. I know what will happen, but I “bite” anyway and I end up in a mess. The enemy doesn’t have to go shopping for something new and improved to dangle in front of me. He just uses the bait I’ve swallowed so many times before.

It would be so much wiser to be like that big fish. He saw that delectable, harmless looking worm, but he knew there was a “hook”. He chose to turn his back on what looked to be good and swam away. Or perhaps he had taken the bait way back when he was just a little fish and had learned a valuable lesson. I imagine that’s the way he grew to be a big, wise fish.

Lord, may I be so filled with your word and with your Spirit that I can resist the “bait” the enemy dangles so invitingly in front of me. Help me to grow in wisdom and discernment so that I learn from past mistakes and don’t repeat them.

Blessings,
Linda
 
  posted at 3:04 PM
  5 comments



5 Comments:
At 3:48 PM, Blogger Susie said...

I also think that big fish learned a lesson early in his life!
Great post...

 
At 4:07 PM, Blogger rena said...

What a wonderful insightful post. Your allegory about fishing and bait and being the mature fish that learned not to take it, are wonderful. Thanks so much. And also thankyou for your honest comment on my post today. I was on that very same page with you not so long ago, and also being taught by the Lord how to get freedom from this behavior. We are all works in progress, aren't we.

 
At 1:34 AM, Blogger Diane@Diane's Place said...

The Enemy gets me over and over again with the same bait sometimes, Linda. It seems I never learn my lesson at times, but in other areas I'm the big fish more than the little one. Still learning every day, sometimes the hard way.

Good writing, friend. :-)

 
At 8:49 AM, Blogger Dawn said...

Great analogy. I love it when people get great lessons from simple things in life.

 
At 9:26 AM, Blogger Shawna said...

Linda, now this is a PERFECT post. It is worth printing out for a devotional! Very, very good stuff. Unfortunately, I am like the snapping turtle, but I so desire to be like the big wise fish.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home