About Me

Name: Linda

Location: Texas


I am a wife, mom and grandma. I am doing what I've wanted to do all my life. I am a Christian and I love the Lord.

My Complete Profile
Contact Me


Blogrolls
Family Friendly Blogroll [-]

A Group Blog for Christian Moms

Christian Women Online
Blog Ring

Join | List | Random

Recent Posts
SPRING
Debt
A New Thing
A New Little Kalanchoe
Sunday Afternoon Visit on the Front Porch
The Little Things
Busy Day
Embroidered Towels
I Hear You Lord - Thank You
HOPE

Archives
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
August 2009


Search


Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by:



Miscellaneous
Add Snippets to your site






Subscribe with Bloglines


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported License. Site Meter

Tuesday, February 24, 2009
Fossils Of One Kind or Another
We went for our walk in the afternoon yesterday. Grocery shopping took precedence in the morning - the refrigerator was looking decidedly bare. By the time we got home it was close to lunchtime, so we decided to fortify ourselves first and then go for our walk.

It was a perfect day for walking - no jackets needed and no need to worry about getting too hot. The sky was that brilliant blue that almost hurts your eyes when you look at it, and the air was crisp and clear without a trace of humidity. As I said...perfect.

You can just hear the "but" coming can't you? But...the afternoon is not my perfect time of day for doing anything that requires the least bit of energy. For some reason, when the clock begins edging toward two o'clock I begin to feel the need for a nap. I rarely give in to that feeling because I know it would mean absolutely no getting to sleep at bedtime. It's better if I keep busy even if I feel as though I'm in a bit of a fog.

So we headed out the door and up the road. I knew right from the start that I wasn't going to break any speed-walking records on this walk. Just about half way through the biggest hill my legs started to complain:

legs - "Are we there yet? This hill seems a lot longer than usual."

me - gasping for breath and ignoring the whiners - continuing the walk

legs - "Seriously, we are beginning to feel like jello. Look how far ahead he is! Can't we just wait here until he reaches the end of the road and starts back? Please....whine, whine, whine.

me - "Oh, all right if it will make you stop that incessant whining."

So, although perfectly willing to walk all the way to the end of the road, I gave in to the wimpy legs and stood waiting by the side of the road. Not wanting to look like a total slug, I began to look for fossils - a very worthwhile activity I think.

They are fairly easy to find here. I just looked around in the place where the bank had worn away, and before long this is what I found.



I'm not sure if it can technically be called a fossil.(I do believe one of us is a fossil - this little clam or me and my tired legs). The fossils we usually find have the print embedded in the rock. This is the rock that formed from what used to be a clam. Nevertheless, it was time well spent I think. When my husband "caught up to me" on his return trip I just told him I felt it was a very educational thing to do. Some things just have to take precedence :-)

Then the whiny legs and I headed home - way behind my husband who for some reason thinks you're just supposed to keep putting one foot in front of the other when you go for a walk. How silly.

Blessings,
 
  posted at 10:11 AM
  9 comments



9 Comments:
At 2:03 PM, Blogger Abba's Girl said...

Great find...

I have whiny feet and calves today, my husband and I rode bikes for the 1st time in at least 18 mos on Sunday evening and again this a.m. we too had the perfect weather, brilliant, blue sky, grass is so green, it does almost hurt your eyes.

 
At 3:06 PM, Blogger Dawn said...

I have to get to the gym early a.m. or it doesn't happen - I totally understand!

 
At 6:34 PM, Blogger Jeremy said...

Sometimes those forced walks end up being the best don't they? I love your fossil! What a treat!

 
At 7:12 PM, Blogger Susie said...

We had one of those sunshiney days between rainstorms today. It makes walking so much more pleasant. How fun to find a fossil!
xo

 
At 9:30 PM, Blogger grammy said...

Fun walking story. Do you ever wear a pedometer? That usually makes me want to move a little more. I use to be able to do 10,000 steps a day....I have slacked way off. Like your clam.

 
At 2:09 PM, Blogger Carole Burant said...

Isn't it awful when the legs start whining like that? lol Mine do the same thing at times and it's no fun when taking a nice long walk becomes a chore. Good for you for finding that fossil, how interesting...I would rather do that than walk! lol

My mom always has to take a nap around 2 p.m., that's when she crashes and has to stop doing whatever she's doing to take a nap. I guess it's the time of day when the body needs to rest.

I'm envious you're having such nice weather...we're still in the middle of a very frigid and snowy Winter here. Can't even go for walks, too much snow and ice everywhere.

Take care of YOU and know that I think of you often:-) xoxo

 
At 5:49 PM, Blogger kelli said...

So glad you took that walk!! Love that fossil...how amazing!

And...love your new picture of you:)

 
At 10:10 AM, Blogger Nancy said...

Linda you are soooooo funny! I just loved this post because I love rocks and then you tell me it's a fossil and the teacher in me makes me want to get on plane and come to your house for a "dig"! How exciting...of course you had a great reason to stop walking even if your likes were energized. I would have a hard time walking in that area, I would be looking at the rocks constantly. You really put a smile on my face today and that is a blessing indeed!

 
At 1:33 PM, Blogger Sandi said...

I never heard of anyone else say what I say. Around 2:00 each day my body wants to nap. If I give in bedtime will be very late. Sleep just won't come. But no matter what time I go to bed I still am a morning person and rises with a joy.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home