About Me

Name: Linda

Location: Texas


I am a wife, mom and grandma. I am doing what I've wanted to do all my life. I am a Christian and I love the Lord.

My Complete Profile
Contact Me


Blogrolls
Family Friendly Blogroll [-]

A Group Blog for Christian Moms

Christian Women Online
Blog Ring

Join | List | Random

Recent Posts
One Thousand Gifts and Answered Prayer
Shadow and Light
Under the Weather
Weeds
Heaven's Technology
A Fresh New Look!
One Thousand Gifts
A Feathered Praise Choir
A Guest From England
Thankful Thursday

Archives
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
August 2009


Search


Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by:



Miscellaneous
Add Snippets to your site






Subscribe with Bloglines


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported License. Site Meter

Monday, April 21, 2008
Apology to Grackles


I must begin by saying I love birds - really I do. I have a bird bath on my front lawn right where I can see it from the kitchen windows. I love to watch my little feathered friends come to bathe and drink. I even keep it clean for them, which, believe me, is a selfless job on those days where I have let it go for far too long.

I have a humming bird feeder, which I diligently fill with honey water (and I even boil the water before I put it in the feeder lest there be anything in it which could harm my little friends) and clean on a regular basis. I really do love birds.

With the possible exception of Grackles. They are, to my way of thinking, just totally unlovable. First of all they aren't pretty - something I could overlook because I would hate to think I only care about the outward appearance. No, it isn't their looks. It's their irritating birdy personalities.

When I looked them up, I found them listed under pests at one website. I rest my case. They seem to travel in huge numbers and prefer to congregate wherever they think they can get a free meal. Just down the street from where my parents live there is a corner where there are several fast food restaurants. I am not exaggerating when I say that every tree, electric wire, sign and light post is absolutely filled with Grackles. It looks like something out of the movie "The Birds". I confess to just sort of shrinking into myself when we stop at the traffic light on that corner.

Our Chamber of Commerce has spent untold amounts of money trying to convince these pesky pests that they shouldn't hang out at the Riverwalk because really the tourists don't appreciate having them as dining companions. They have tried everything from crazy reflector things to loud noises. All to no avail.

Speaking of noises - they make the most annoying sounds. They sound like out of control metallic toys squeaking and shreiking. Multiply that dozens of times over and you get quite a racket.

Having said all that I am now going to issue an apology for all those unkind thoughts. We have been invaded by Grackles. They don't usually live near us (thank You Lord) but they do show up for a couple of weeks every year at this time. It isn't Fast Food Restaurants or Outdoor Dining that has lured them here. It is web worms.




The little eggs those moths (I don't know their scientific name) laid last spring are now hatching and our trees are loaded with them. They spiral down out of the branches on whispy threads like spider web threads and fan out to eat every growing thing they can get into their little wormy mouths. Then they spin huge cocoons in the trees and on every available surface, and in a few weeks hatch out as moths who then lay eggs - and on and on the cycle goes.

The Grackles are absolutely feasting on web worms. The trees and ground are full of them. You can hear them through closed windows - squeaking and "shrilling" as they fly from tree to tree feasting on those little suckers. It is a wonderful thing. They are doing a great job of keeping the web worm population under control.

So I apologize to any Grackles I may have offended and issue a heart-felt thank you for the beneficial work they are doing. I should have known, Lord, that You have created everything with a purpose. I most humbly offer my thanks for Grackles.

Blessings,
 
  posted at 2:45 PM
  6 comments



6 Comments:
At 5:17 PM, Blogger Carole Burant said...

Lol what a coincidence that you should blog about Grackles today because just this morning I was sitting on my deck enjoying the songs of the robins and sparrows when the Grackles suddenly arrived to ruin it all. Like you, I love birds but I don't like GRACKLES! They sound like squeaky hinges to me and they eat everything I put out for the other birds. A couple of years ago they had built a nest in our front Spruce tree and when their eggs hatched, they became so mean...they were dive bombing our neighbours in their own yard and anyone who would come near the tree. Last year they tried to make a nest there again but I kept undoing it because they are just too mean when they have babies! Maybe they do have their usefulness here on earth but...I still don't have to like them! lol xoxo

 
At 9:02 PM, Blogger Dawn said...

What a good news/bad news scenario! I don't believe we have them around here - nor the web worms, thank the Lord! I'm glad you can find a blessing out of something so annoying!

We have a new bird house that I showed on a post a few days ago, but so far nobody has visited it. How do you get birds to come around when you want them?

 
At 9:58 PM, Blogger Nancy said...

I loved reading your information about Grackles. We have them once a year and it is so scary... you are right- just like the movie "The Birds"! I should have known that God had a purpose for these scary creatures and what a worthwhile purpose it is. God is good! Thanks for the insight.

 
At 10:29 PM, Blogger Donnetta said...

I just had a science lesson for the day. I don't know that I've heard of grackles or those worms.

Maybe I've seen them both and just wasn't aware that they had specific names.

HHmmmm....

 
At 1:12 AM, Blogger Diane@Diane's Place said...

We have both grackles and web worms, although we seem to have more of the birds than the worms. That could be because the birds are fulfilling their purpose, hmm?

Thanks for the reminder that God created everything and everyBody for a purpose, no matter how lowly or annoying we may think they are...

Have a great week, Linda. ;o)

Love and hugs,

Diane

 
At 2:10 PM, Blogger Susanne said...

Now if I could just find out what beneficial work crows and magpies do.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home