About Me

Name: Linda

Location: Texas


I am a wife, mom and grandma. I am doing what I've wanted to do all my life. I am a Christian and I love the Lord.

My Complete Profile
Contact Me


Blogrolls
Family Friendly Blogroll [-]

A Group Blog for Christian Moms

Christian Women Online
Blog Ring

Join | List | Random

Recent Posts
Heaven's Technology
A Fresh New Look!
One Thousand Gifts
A Feathered Praise Choir
A Guest From England
Thankful Thursday
At Long Last - Pictures!
Salvation's Plan
The Father's Love
Following The Path

Archives
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
August 2009


Search


Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by:



Miscellaneous
Add Snippets to your site






Subscribe with Bloglines


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported License. Site Meter

Tuesday, April 08, 2008
Weeds


Our bike ride takes us past ranches and farmland. The farmers have been out plowing the fields, preparing them for the crops they hope to grow. However, we have had such a severe drought here it is hard to imagine how anything will grow. The soil looks rich and dark - ready to accept the little seeds that contain the potential for life, but the farmers say that if we don't get rain there is little point in putting those seeds into the ground. So the land waits...

There are no beneficial plants growing in those fields, but I noticed today that the weeds are flourishing. They don't seem bothered by the lack of rain. They are ready to take over the whole area.

It got me thinking about my life - my heart to be more specific. I imagined the weeds as those besetting sins, those pesky "little" sins that so easily trip me up and take up residence in my heart. Those selfish thoughts that come so quickly, the ungodly thoughts, the pride, the over-eating, the mismanagement of my time.... They seem to grow with no effort at all on my part. All they need is the right soil and up they pop.

On the other hand, if I want my heart to be filled with the things that the Lord has for me it will take some effort. They will not just automatically grow. I believe the Lord gently places the seeds in my heart and then it is my part to water them with time spent in prayer and in the word; time spent drawing close to Him so they will flourish and grow. I must allow the gentle wind of the Spirit to come and bring with it life-giving nourishment. I must also be diligent to keep after those "weeds" that want to choke the life out of the good things growing there.

When I do those things, I will find a beautiful bouquet of love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control (Gal. 5:22,23) flourishing in my heart.




Blessings,
 
  posted at 12:24 PM
  9 comments



9 Comments:
At 3:05 PM, Blogger Shawna said...

So true.

I was in the process of leaving you a comment first thing this morning. Lightning struck & knocked the electric/my computer off just as I hit enter.

Beautiful makeover!

 
At 3:58 PM, Blogger Cyndi said...

First of all-- LOVE your new look! Amazing! So fresh and "springy." :)

Secondly, what a wonderful post. I was having a major weed-pulling this morning during my quiet time, so this was a timely one for me. How I want that beautiful bouquet!

 
At 5:02 PM, Blogger Carole Burant said...

Dearest Linda,

Another beautiful and meaningful post. It's so true how weeds can grow anywhere with no care at all and yet flowers need to be tended to so faithfully...love the analogy you make. It's so very easy for us to sin and yet we have to work so hard to make something right. Here's to us making beautiful bouquets in our hearts!! xox

 
At 6:47 PM, Blogger Dawn said...

You and I have much in common! YOur description sounded like me so often! It is sad that you are still in drought - didn't you get lots of rain last year??

It's so nice that you get to ride bikes in the country. Are your boxes still packed??

 
At 7:00 PM, Blogger Susie said...

Hi Linda,
Beautifully thought out post. It's always a pleasure to stop in and just relax and read what you've posted.
xo

 
At 5:25 AM, Blogger Sandi said...

We have to much rain here farmers are worried crops won't be spoiled.
As for weeding, it can be painful but something we need to do.

 
At 10:52 AM, Blogger Nancy said...

Thanks Linda, for such an insightful and inspirational post! I have been doing some much needed weeding, in my life, over the last few days. I pray that God will let the seeds bloom and grow.

You are a blessing indeed!

 
At 10:52 AM, Blogger Nancy said...

Thanks Linda, for such an insightful and inspirational post! I have been doing some much needed weeding, in my life, over the last few days. I pray that God will let the seeds bloom and grow.

You are a blessing indeed!

 
At 2:25 PM, Blogger Susanne said...

I love this post, Linda!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home