About Me

Name: Linda

Location: Texas


I am a wife, mom and grandma. I am doing what I've wanted to do all my life. I am a Christian and I love the Lord.

My Complete Profile
Contact Me


Blogrolls
Family Friendly Blogroll [-]

A Group Blog for Christian Moms

Christian Women Online
Blog Ring

Join | List | Random

Recent Posts
Following The Path
Thankful Thursday
Home Again
Another Little Break
The Walk
A Bit of News
Living Water
Catching Up and Thanks
One Thousand Gifts
TODD

Archives
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
August 2009


Search


Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by:



Miscellaneous
Add Snippets to your site






Subscribe with Bloglines


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported License. Site Meter

Tuesday, March 18, 2008
The Father's Love


It is a gloomy day today. Dark clouds are moving swiftly across the sky with occasional breaks of sunshine. Periodically the rain pours down and the wind whips through the branches of the live oak trees, scattering leaves across the lawn. It seems, to me, appropriate weather for the days leading up to Good Friday.

I think often about Jesus – about what He must have been feeling in those days – but for some reason this year I have been thinking more about The Father and what He must have been feeling. Perhaps it is because of the difficult diagnosis my son has had recently and knowing how my own heart aches for him. Whatever the reason, I find my thoughts going to the Father who would soon watch His Son suffer untold agony.

I remember another father who must also have suffered similar feelings hundreds of years before Jesus was born. Abraham, a giant of the faith, one day heard the Lord say, “Take now your son, your only son, whom you love, Isaac, and go to the land of Moriah; and offer him there as a burnt offering on one of the mountains of which I will tell you.” As I read the words I cannot help but notice how the description of Isaac becomes more and more intimate – “…your son, your ONLY son, WHOM YOU LOVE….” (Emphasis mine). God knew how deeply Abraham loved his son, and in the end He spared that precious boy providing a ram to be sacrificed in his place.

From before the foundation of the world God knew the day would come when His son, His only son, whom He loved, would become the sacrifice for the sin of the world. I wonder what their conversations must have been like as the time approached for Jesus to step into history. Did the Father’s heart ache as He watched His Son, knowing what the future held? We aren’t privileged to know those things. There are times, though, when the Father gives us a glimpse of His heart. At Jesus’ baptism He says: “This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.” - A Father looking with such love on His only Son that He couldn’t keep silent. And then on the Mount of Transfiguration once again: “This is My beloved Son, listen to Him!”

My thoughts take me to the Garden of Gethsemane and Jesus’ agonized prayer, “Father, if Thou art willing, remove this cup from Me; yet not My will, but Thine be done.” It is difficult to comprehend the depth of love God has for us that He would not spare this beloved, perfect Son. There are no recorded words in reply to Jesus’ plea, just as we don’t know what Abraham said to Isaac as he tied him to the altar. We can know, however, how the hearts of both fathers must have cried out in pain.

I can never adequately thank Jesus for what He has done for me. He has taken the punishment I rightly deserve. He has made a way back to the Father for me – clothed me in His righteousness – and given me a hope for eternity. And I can truly never thank a Holy God who loved me, and you, enough to send His son, His beloved Son whom He loves, to save us from our sins. We have a Father who loves us more than we can comprehend. He spared not His own Son, so that you and I might have eternal life. What love.


Blessings,
 
  posted at 3:33 PM
  4 comments



4 Comments:
At 4:11 PM, Blogger Aunt Angie said...

Linda, that brings it all into perspective. For every single one of us.
When you posted a comment on my LWG post, I found myself singing right along with you! That was one our favorites from church!!! I like this verse,
Just up in Glory Land we'll live eternally---the Saints on every hand are shouting victory---
their song of sweetest praise drifts back from Heaven's shore
and I can't feel at home in this world anymore...girl, that just makes me more homesick than ever!
Thank you for sharing those words with me today and pumping my heart strings with them!!!

 
At 11:44 PM, Blogger Dawn said...

Absolutely perfect for today. And yes, you have definitely had 300 posts' worth of words!

 
At 2:09 PM, Blogger Sandi said...

Linda
That is so true when we are going though heart ache we only need to go to God's word. He went though heart ache as did many in the bible. God's glory was aways the outcome. Thank you I needed this reminder at this time in my life.

 
At 7:31 PM, Blogger Ann Voskamp @Holy Experience said...

Oh Linda, you wrote my heart: "I can never adequately thank Jesus for what He has done for me."

My heart joining with yours...
Thank you, Linda...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home